+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Reference Letter & Police Certificates

iCAN25

Oct 13, 2018
Dear All,

Hope this message finds you well.

I have the below inquiries regarding my Express Entry application:

1) My employer does not provide an official reference letter showing all the details requested by IRCC. Is it acceptable to provide a reference letter from my direct supervisor stating the required information? This letter would be written on a blank paper that does not have the company's letterhead, but it will contain all the information requested. I could also provide an official letter from HR using their standard template (which does not include all IRCC requirements), including payslips, salary raises, company ID card, business cards for myself and my supervisor as additional proof of employment.

2) My direct supervisor has the same Family Name as myself, although we are not related in any way. Will that be an issue for the reviewing officers? Should I submit any written proof to show that we are not related? What would be considered sufficient proof?

3) I have done an Online Graduate Certificate from a university in the USA while residing in my home country. I have never visited the USA during my study period. Should I clarify that I do not require to submit a Police Certificate in order to avoid any confusion? What would be considered sufficient proof?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
1) My employer does not provide an official reference letter showing all the details requested by IRCC. Is it acceptable to provide a reference letter from my direct supervisor stating the required information? This letter would be written on a blank paper that does not have the company's letterhead, but it will contain all the information requested. I could also provide an official letter from HR using their standard template (which does not include all IRCC requirements), including payslips, salary raises, company ID card, business cards for myself and my supervisor as additional proof of employment.

Provide the standard letter with all other letters you have mentioned above. Write a letter of explanation to explain the whole situation. But I must warn you, as you are not providing official letter with all requirements, Case Analyst will not mark your Eligibility as Pass and will put in "review required" queue which is currently taking more than 6 months to a year to be reviewed by an Officer and finalize. If you want to avoid this delay then you must submit official letter mentioning all required information otherwise be mentally prepared for the long wait.

2) My direct supervisor has the same Family Name as myself, although we are not related in any way. Will that be an issue for the reviewing officers? Should I submit any written proof to show that we are not related? What would be considered sufficient proof?

You are overthinking mate. Relax its not an issue.

3) I have done an Online Graduate Certificate from a university in the USA while residing in my home country. I have never visited the USA during my study period. Should I clarify that I do not require to submit a Police Certificate in order to avoid any confusion? What would be considered sufficient proof?

You can write this in letter of explanation too. Also do this official instruction
  • Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution
Read the Proof of Study section. This link is also the official reference for formats of all required documents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Good Luck.

Reactions: Shahanastar

iCAN25

Oct 13, 2018
Thanks @ishq74 for your helpful answer.

Just for clarification, I did a bit of research and there seems to be a difference between correspondence education and online education. Are they considered the same as per IRCC? If not, would it be acceptable to write {online education} instead?

Regards.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks @ishq74 for your helpful answer.

Just for clarification, I did a bit of research and there seems to be a difference between correspondence education and online education. Are they considered the same as per IRCC? If not, would it be acceptable to write {online education} instead?

Regards.
Even if you write online education, does it mean you were outside USA during your studies? Don't worry, IRCC officers are trained, they know how to handle such situations. Do not go beyond the instructions.

While you will be filling your EE profile, in education history section there are questions regarding Country and City of education. Write your country and city name. System will not ask PCC. Also write LoE for that.

Some applicants prefer to write education institute's country and city name because this is the instruction given in the "help" tab. In this case applicant upload a LoE instead of PCC in the document upload section.

You can chose to any of the above options, this will not hamper your application.