+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job reference letter for work experience that I do not claim points for

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello!
Do we need to submit a work reference letter for a previous experience that I do not claim points for?
The company is now closed and I'll mention that in an explanation letter[very clearly that I do NOT claim any points for it].
I would have to mention that in personal history section, tho!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no need to even include (leave aside prove) work experience for which you are not claiming any points. You will have to account for it in Personal history and that section won't prompt you for reference letters.

rvikrant

May 7, 2015
Hi Asivad,
Can you please confirm what documents we need for previous back home experience. I have the offer letter and reliving letter, but no roles n responsibilities specify in either of the document. Please suggest!!

Thanks
Vikrant

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rvikrant said:
Hi Asivad,
Can you please confirm what documents we need for previous back home experience. I have the offer letter and reliving letter, but no roles n responsibilities specify in either of the document. Please suggest!!

Thanks
Vikrant
You will need reference letter clearly mentioning roles & responsibilities because that's the only way you can prove that the experience belongs under a particular NOC. Workarounds include getting notarized letters from ex-colleagues/supervisors stating roles & responsibilities along with supporting documentation and LOE.

Musikwala

Sep 14, 2014
Johannesburg, SA
Visa Office......
Pretoria, SA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2015
Nomination.....
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Passport Req..
14-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
Hi Asivad. What if one has included reference letters from past jobs and they don't quite have all the required info. They have only some of the info. But if one doesn't need points from those jobs could it still be a problem? I'm suddenly getting nervous about something... The reference letter from my very first job does not have salary. But the 3 reference letters from my other 3 jobs after that all have complete info and are sufficient for points sake. But I didn't put any explanation for the missing salary on the first ref letter even though I don't need points for it. What do you think? Is there a risk of them returning my app?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Musikwala said:
Hi Asivad. What if one has included reference letters from past jobs and they don't quite have all the required info. They have only some of the info. But if one doesn't need points from those jobs could it still be a problem? I'm suddenly getting nervous about something... The reference letter from my very first job does not have salary. But the 3 reference letters from my other 3 jobs after that all have complete info and are sufficient for points sake. But I didn't put any explanation for the missing salary on the first ref letter even though I don't need points for it. What do you think? Is there a risk of them returning my app?
If it doesn't count towards your points, they might find that letter incomplete and not count it towards your points (which it anyways doesn't). So there is no reason to be concerned.

A situation like this is a good reason to reinforce the oft stated argument of including only such experience in your profile that gives you points on either the CRS or program eligibility or both. If it doesn't matter there, it can be safely left out.

Reactions: mejaz

Musikwala

Sep 14, 2014
Johannesburg, SA
Visa Office......
Pretoria, SA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2015
Nomination.....
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Passport Req..
14-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
Thank you so much for the prompt reply!

when

Dec 1, 2014
Musikwala said:
Thank you so much for the prompt reply!
Hello
I have a reference letter from my previous employer and it older than 1 year. Will it work?
someone told me that the exp letter shd nt be older than 1 year at the time of furnishing the same with CIC
Some one pls clarify

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
when said:
Hello
I have a reference letter from my previous employer and it older than 1 year. Will it work?
someone told me that the exp letter shd nt be older than 1 year at the time of furnishing the same with CIC
Some one pls clarify
Reference letter is valid indefinitely provided it is dated after the time you stopped working with that employer.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Asivad

Regarding the notarization of reference letter you mentioned before. What does it mean? Also, how do CIC verify those foreign letters?? If it is Canadian employer it will be super easy to verify it. I can't imagine how do they verify foreign reference letter especially from non English speaking countries

Thank you

rvikrant

May 7, 2015
Hi Asivad,

I have the same question that would be stupid though, but what's the exact procedure for getting notarized letter from ex-colleague.

Thanks in Advance!!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hansdza said:
Hi Asivad

Regarding the notarization of reference letter you mentioned before. What does it mean? Also, how do CIC verify those foreign letters?? If it is Canadian employer it will be super easy to verify it. I can't imagine how do they verify foreign reference letter especially from non English speaking countries

Thank you
rvikrant said:
Hi Asivad,

I have the same question that would be stupid though, but what's the exact procedure for getting notarized letter from ex-colleague.

Thanks in Advance!!
A notarization process ensures that there is legal binding on you (and the notary and advocate, if you choose to involve one to prepare an affidavit) about the contents of a particular document(s). The physical act of notarizing could vary from country to country but notaries are generally allowed to take affidavits and statutory declarations. A notarized work reference letter taken from an ex-colleague is simply more reliable and 'officious' than a plain paper submission of the same document.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public

uxd

Feb 27, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2015
AOR Received.
01-09-2015
Med's Done....
04-09-2015
Passport Req..
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
6-11-2015 copr rcvd
Asivad Anac said:
Reference letter is valid indefinitely provided it is dated after the time you stopped working with that employer.
Does it need to be dated after i had left in case of cec?. My reference letter has date on it when i finished my 13 .months of work exp with canadian employer. I left after 2 weeks though. I also have roe and t4 to support my 1 yr of exp claim.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
uxd said:
Does it need to be dated after i had left in case of cec?. My reference letter has date on it when i finished my 13 .months of work exp with canadian employer. I left after 2 weeks though. I also have roe and t4 to support my 1 yr of exp claim.
The date becomes important when there is a large gap between getting the reference letter and quitting the job and only if the former precedes the latter. In those circumstances, it becomes important to prove continuity of employment beyond the date on the reference letter.

In your case, this won't be a big concern as it is only a short gap but try to produce other documents (relieving letter, pay stubs etc) to support your claim of leaving the organization 2 weeks after the reference letter date. Your T4 would also help.