+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2022 - Citizenship Applications

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Hi all, an update. I'm an applicant from outside Canada, who just had their interview completed on the 10th of January. The officer informed me that I had passed and would be scheduled for the next available oath. I asked if there is the chance of an in person oath and he said that there is, but that they are prioritising online oaths currently. If you want an in person oath you can request one and they will put it in a pile until there are enough requests for an in person oath to complete one in your local area. He estimated an in person oath would take longer to schedule than an online one.

As I have been outside Canada for more than a year I did need to get a police check completed and sent to them. Thankfully this process is fast in my country, and online, so this has been sent to IRCC today (11th of January). The officer told me all of my application is now completed and I will be scheduled for the next available oath ceremony.

Application type: Online
Physical presence: +1100
Application: Single
Applications sent: Jan 7th 2022
Application received: Feb 28th
Citizenship test invite: Sept 20th
FP request: Sept 22nd (sent Sept 27th from outside Canada)
Test completed: Sept 27th (outside Canada).
FP Received: October 27th
Background Check Completed: October 27th
Passport request: 3rd November.
Sent passport scans: 3rd November.
Interview request: 10th of December for an online interview on the 10th of Jan 2023.
Interview completed: 10th of January (from outside Canada)
All completed (told by officer, not yet appeared on tracker): 10th January 2023
Request for foreign police check: Completed and emailed 11th January 2023.
Oath: Not yet started.

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of paranoid conspiracy in this forum from people who do not know and who are extrapolating their own anxieties and experience with what they perceive as delays to everyone else. I was told that as I was abroad the application would be held in suspension until I returned to Canada, for example, although this is clearly not the case. Each application takes a different amount of time, not due to some conspiracy or incompetence, but simply due to the amount of applications and the complicated information that the officers need to go through. This is comparable to other countries (it took 2 years for me to get my Irish citizenship!) so everyone really just needs to relax a bit. I get it's stressful, but you're in a privileged position to even be able to apply for citizenship in a country different to that of your birth, take a step back!

Reactions: rCk

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Hi all, an update. I'm an applicant from outside Canada, who just had their interview completed on the 10th of January. The officer informed me that I had passed and would be scheduled for the next available oath. I asked if there is the chance of an in person oath and he said that there is, but that they are prioritising online oaths currently. If you want an in person oath you can request one and they will put it in a pile until there are enough requests for an in person oath to complete one in your local area. He estimated an in person oath would take longer to schedule than an online one.

As I have been outside Canada for more than a year I did need to get a police check completed and sent to them. Thankfully this process is fast in my country, and online, so this has been sent to IRCC today (11th of January). The officer told me all of my application is now completed and I will be scheduled for the next available oath ceremony.

Interview request: 10th of December for an online interview on the 10th of Jan 2023.

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of paranoid conspiracy in this forum from people who do not know and who are extrapolating their own anxieties and experience with what they perceive as delays to everyone else. I was told that as I was abroad the application would be held in suspension until I returned to Canada, for example, although this is clearly not the case. Each application takes a different amount of time, not due to some conspiracy or incompetence, but simply due to the amount of applications and the complicated information that the officers need to go through. This is comparable to other countries (it took 2 years for me to get my Irish citizenship!) so everyone really just needs to relax a bit. I get it's stressful, but you're in a privileged position to even be able to apply for citizenship in a country different to that of your birth, take a step back!
Hey Ukvan,
Congrats on completing all steps! I too am an applicant residing outside of Canada for now. After my background completing, I haven't heard anything. For most people who are residing outside have been asked to submit their travel plans back to Canada. However, nothing in my case. What's your take on this?

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Btw folks, requesting an ATIP through the CBSA, Privacy Act is way faster than going through IRCC. Check the timelines in my signature.

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Hey Ukvan,
Congrats on completing all steps! I too am an applicant residing outside of Canada for now. After my background completing, I haven't heard anything. For most people who are residing outside have been asked to submit their travel plans back to Canada. However, nothing in my case. What's your take on this?
Your timeline doesn't seem that different to mine at all, just that I applied early Jan and you end of Jan. It would make sense that I'm about a month ahead of you. I'd imagine you'd have some sort of update, either an oath or interview, in the next 6-8 weeks or so. I wasn't asked to submit travel plans either (in the test email it asks when you think you may be coming back, maybe people are over egging that?). They did ask me at my interview, and I said I would return for the oath as soon as it is scheduled, but that's all.

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Your timeline doesn't seem that different to mine at all, just that I applied early Jan and you end of Jan. It would make sense that I'm about a month ahead of you. I'd imagine you'd have some sort of update, either an oath or interview, in the next 6-8 weeks or so. I wasn't asked to submit travel plans either (in the test email it asks when you think you may be coming back, maybe people are over egging that?). They did ask me at my interview, and I said I would return for the oath as soon as it is scheduled, but that's all.
Oh great! that's exactly what I want to do too. I wasn't asked anything in the test email about coming back (strange). Well, lets hope things actually fall in place in the next 6-8 weeks.

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Thank you

does this have info on all assessments ? Or only security and criminality(aka background)
Coz my background is done
Same here with the BG, but there was literally nothing that helped me understand my application more than the online tracker that says “in progress” lol… maybe my application isnt complex and hence hardly any notes were made.

Last edited:

zahedali

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
below are my application details.

Application type: Paper based
Application: Family (3)
Physical Presence: 1235 days
Application submitted: Sept 20, 2021
Application received: Sept 23, 2021
Application Returned: Dec 29, 2021 ( For reason - "You have not submitted two identification documents." )
Application resubmitted: Dec 30, 2021
Application received: Jan 4, 2022
Same as you resubmitted

1. Application Submitted - Canadapost Express - 28th Oct 2022
2. Application Delivered - 3rd Nov 2022 (9:30 a.m) - L YOUNG
3. Documents returned - 30-12-2022 - For reason - "You have not submitted two identification documents."
4. Application resent - Purolator - 30th Dec 2022
5. Application Delivered - 04th Jan 2023 (2:24 p.m) - Gavin

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Same here with the BG, but there was literally nothing that helped me understand my application more than the online tracker that says “in progress” lol… maybe my application is straightened and hence hardly any notes were made.
Lol okay.. did you write the test from outside??

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Same as you resubmitted

1. Application Submitted - Canadapost Express - 28th Oct 2022
2. Application Delivered - 3rd Nov 2022 (9:30 a.m) - L YOUNG
3. Documents returned - 30-12-2022 - For reason - "You have not submitted two identification documents."
4. Application resent - Purolator - 30th Dec 2022
5. Application Delivered - 04th Jan 2023 (2:24 p.m) - Gavin
I think you want to be posting this in the January 2023 thread. This is the 2022 Jan thread.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018

Nice to see that you are on the last stretch. But do you think that you'll have already had your oath if you were in Canada?

Because after the background check on October 27, all those passport, interviews and police report from another country is because you were outside Canada.

And you still don't have the physical presence, prohibitions and language skills marked complete, right? So maybe they may actually be delaying your application after all.

Yes some people are extra anxious but don't talk down to them in a condescending way. IRCC is really difficult to reach and they can keep you in limbo for a very long time because of a mistake or hiccup in your application. You were lucky to meet a reasonable officer who was willing to schedule for the oath without coming back to Canada. Take your victory and go and stop rubbing it on others who have legitimate concerns.

darsh11

Jan 11, 2023
Office: Scarborough
Physical presence: 1098
Applications sent: Jan 27th 2022
Application received: (AoR) march 9th
Citizenship test invite: Sept 29th
FP request: Oct 4th
Test completed: Oct 12th
FP Received: October 30th