+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I've got questions on proof of fund(Tiger Pls)

innocent_a6

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
Doc's Request.
08-05-2013
My sponsor has a combination of bank account balance and stocks value to cover my tuition, living expenses and other miscellaneous (about $38000) . But if only the bank account balance, as at the time of visa application submission, is considered it can only cover the tuition and a substantial amount of the living expense. However, my sponsor has close $60000 annual salary which i'm sure will serve as a good source of income. So guys, how do u see my chance? Please I need ur comments

Hamid khan

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2013
Re: I've got questions on proof of fund

Pls ask help from tiger aman
They are best for answe

I got all ans from them

innocent_a6

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
Doc's Request.
08-05-2013
Tigers where you guys at, talk to me

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what's your location? you applying from India or somewhere else? are you applying under SPP or General/Uni Category?

innocent_a6

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
Doc's Request.
08-05-2013
I'm applying from Nigeria and its under study permit. I was admitted into Lakehead University for a masters in Economics. Its my half-sister that is providing the sponsorship. Please talk to me

innocent_a6

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
Doc's Request.
08-05-2013
Tiger where are you. Answer me please

tiger007

Champion Member
innocent_a6 said:
My sponsor has a combination of bank account balance and stocks value to cover my tuition, living expenses and other miscellaneous (about $38000) . But if only the bank account balance, as at the time of visa application submission, is considered it can only cover the tuition and a substantial amount of the living expense. However, my sponsor has close $60000 annual salary which i'm sure will serve as a good source of income. So guys, how do u see my chance? Please I need ur comments
innocent_a6 said:
I'm applying from Nigeria and its under study permit. I was admitted into Lakehead University for a masters in Economics. Its my half-sister that is providing the sponsorship. Please talk to me
Hi,

For citizens of Nigeria:

The Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria in Lagos has made arrangements with VFS Global to provide convenient visa application services by way of a Visa Application Centre (VAC). Applicants are strongly encouraged to read about the Visa Application Centres before submitting their applications
(www.canadainternational.gc.ca/nigeria/visas/index.aspx?menu_id=2)

On VFS Global site: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Nigeria/faq.html

They have said to consult the official CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

Here, the official checklist (for study permit) is given: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5483E.pdf

The official CIC checklist says: Proof of financial support or the duration of your studies in Canada.

Now, on the CIC site regarding this proof of financial support, they have mentioned (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp):

You can prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself in Canada by showing some of the following:

proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada;
proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution;
your bank statements for the past four months;
a bank draft in convertible currency;
proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees;
a letter from the person or institution providing you with money; and
proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

And a Single student must show - Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month).

Now, for students from India, we are required to show only funds for 1st year tuition fees paid+ 1st year living expense. But, I'm not sure about students from Nigeria.
And, since it's not clearly mentioned whether to show only 1st year tuition +living expenses or for entire duration of course.. let's assume you will need to show proof of funds for entire duration of course, which is equivalent to 38,000C$ (as mentioned by you).

Now, personally I think... you can take one or combination of these measures to show total proof of funds, with you application package:

1. Show current bank balance (tuition +majority of money for expenses) AND show a education loan letter from a recognized nationalized bank of Nigeria for rest of amount (realistically say a loan letter for entire tuition fees).
and/OR
2. Show current bank balance (tuition +majority of money for expenses) AND ask your half-sister to provide a bank draft in convertible currency for rest of amount (realistically say an amount equivalent to atleast 1 year living expenses i.e 10,000 c$).
and/OR
3. Show current bank balance (tuition +majority of money for expenses) AND provide a declaration of support / support letter/ sponsorship letter from your half-sister.
The supporting letter should mention:
--- Her details, status in Canada, Occupation, address etc.
--- Relation to you,
--- declaration that she is the one sponsoring your studies, she takes full responsibility for you financial needs in Canada (including the rest of amount), how much money she has etc. and that you will legally follow the rules of temporary residence as an international student
and
--- preferably also provide her salary slips, past 3 years tax returns (in Canada) as proof of her legal and earning status in Canada (along with letter).
OR
4. Show a bank loan letter for entire tuition fees AND your bank statement for expenses AND Sponsorship letter form your half sister.
OR
5. Show a bank draft in convertible currency (10,000C$) AND your bank statement for tuition fees and other funds AND Sponsorship letter form your half sister.

My guess is, if you can arrange atleast one of these... you should be good to go... as it will clearly portray you as a genuine student, with sufficient funds to cover for your time in Canada, because to get entry into Canada as an International student... you must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay. This is one of condition for getting visa as a temporary resident.

This is the best I can say regarding your case as a Nigerian citizen. Any more technicalities, requirements or procedures.. you will need to contact the High Commission of Canada to Nigeria or consult some reputed authorized study abroad agent in Nigeria.
Please do not rely alone on my post.. as this is purely generic in nature (keeping in mind your case) and you MUST consult other sources, particularly in your country.

Hope it helps.

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

innocent_a6

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
Doc's Request.
08-05-2013
Thank you so much Tiger007. Your reply is timely and very helpful

afendi

May 21, 2013
Hello Tiger,

I got admission for undergraduate program in Canadian University. Now I'm planning to apply for study permit from Bangladesh. Can anyone please suggest me about this. Should I deposit any tuition fee to the university and that will help my application to get visa? How much I should show in bank statement? university tuition fee is $17,000 CAD and living expense is around $10,000 per year. We can show around 30 thousand CAD in bank account. I have my sister and brother in law already in Canada and when my brother-in-law sponsored my sister they mention my name in their family member forms so if I mention I have already relative in Canada that will be negative impact in my application?
also as my father passed away so I will show bank statement of my mother. and If I request my brother-in-law and sister to show their bank statement and tax return for last two years will that help or bad? they can show $80,000 salary (with pay stub) for each tax year and may be around $25,000 in their bank account.

I'm applying from Bangladesh to singapur CIC office
If anyone can help me about this please reply me here

Thank you very much for your help!