+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Items purchased after goods to follow was stamped

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi,
I’m in a situation where I had landed in Canada over a year ago, and completed my Goods to Follow procedures during that time. During this one year period, I purchased a couple of electronics (not too expensive, totaling about $500 at the most). These items are not present in the goods to follow list. These are more than 6 months old and for personal use only.

I’m moving to Toronto next week and packing my stuff up, labeling them etc according to the Goods to Follow categories. Do I need to declare these additional items when I’m clearing my goods from customs ? The goods will move to Canada by a PODS container so I’ll have to clear it from the customs warehouse in Toronto once it reaches there.

Thanks in advance

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
For most of us who moved from USA to Canada , items mentioned in GTF were never cross-checked with items that were actually moved. I wouldn't worry about such small ticket items.

Reactions: ch671

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, I'll second this. No one checked my goods. Even if you happen to be the one person they check, you're allowed to bring in $800 duty free if you've lived outside Canada for more than 48 hours, so you're legally in the clear as well.

Practically speaking, they won't check unless you give them the very strong impression that you're smuggling in 200 TVs or something :)