+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ITA under CEC Class

Ram1992

Mar 9, 2017
Hi People,

I recently recieved a ITA under CEC class. I however am not sure about the way the system has calculated my points and was wondering if anyone in this forum could help clear my doubt.

I came in to Canada on the 20th September 2016. When i created my express entry profile, there is no section to enter the exact arrival date, infact it only asks for year and month of arrival which is what i entered i.e 2016/09.

Recently i realized that i was awarded points under CEC i.e on the 1st aug and a ITA was issued to me BY CIC on the 2nd Aug draw.

I gave all the correct information on EE profile, how come i was awarded points for 1 year work experience when i am still a month away from 20th September 2017? Should i still go ahead and accept my ITA?

Would be extremely thankful to you if you could kindly advice.

Thanks

Ram1992

Mar 9, 2017
Decline the ITA even though i supplied the correct information? What really confuses me that how was i even awarded the points in the first place if i have not completed one full year.

Having said that, will declining the ITA bar me getting a ITA again in future draws?

Reactions: Ajayadigopal

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You were awarded a year of work experience as the system does not give the option to add specific dates when one starts and ends a job, so it counts by the month and not by the specific date.

You are free to proceed with your application but a nice rejection letter will come your way.

If you choose to decline the ITA you'll be automatically back in the pool with no issues.

Ram1992

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for your response. Really appreciate it.

If i decline my ITA today, as you said, it will go back to pool and the possibility will get picked up in next draw. Then i will have the same issue again in next fifteen days. Kindly advice the best course of action.

thanks

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you don't want to decline an ITA every couple weeks then do not decline the current one yet and decline it after completing a year of work experience.

Dobs9ja

Aug 9, 2017
Hi Ram1992,

I'm not an expert but I don't think you should decline the your ITA. I think what CIC does is they calculate based on the number of hours you have worked. So it says 30 hours weekly for one year i.e 1560 hours ( 52 weeks multiplied by 30). Now someone who works more that 30 hours weekly lets say 40 hours will complete that 1560 in 39 weeks and not 52 weeks. If you work 40 hours or more weekly I think you've actually qualified.

Please a quick question. Was there a part in your express entry profile they asked you if you have worked for one year? I had the same thing. I said no but I was still awarded points.

I don't know if I was able to help you but I do stand to be corrected.

The below is from cic website for CEC :-

Skilled work experience
To be eligible for the CEC, you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

• Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
Your experience must be at least

• 12 months of full-time work
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), OR
  • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
    • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Thank you and all the best.

Last edited:

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Hi People,

I recently recieved a ITA under CEC class. I however am not sure about the way the system has calculated my points and was wondering if anyone in this forum could help clear my doubt.

I came in to Canada on the 20th September 2016. When i created my express entry profile, there is no section to enter the exact arrival date, infact it only asks for year and month of arrival which is what i entered i.e 2016/09.

Recently i realized that i was awarded points under CEC i.e on the 1st aug and a ITA was issued to me BY CIC on the 2nd Aug draw.

I gave all the correct information on EE profile, how come i was awarded points for 1 year work experience when i am still a month away from 20th September 2017? Should i still go ahead and accept my ITA?

Would be extremely thankful to you if you could kindly advice.

Thanks
You should not decline your ITA. First, CIC do this purposely as the prioritize in-land foreign workers who gained lawful skilled employment in Canada. You should, however, send your e-APR after you met the CEC criteria (September 20th). Secondly, awarding points for CEC on a 12-month basis rather than strictly on YYYY/MM/DD basis prevents CRS score to further declining and prioritize workers in Canada. Third, you're also likely to be working more than 30+ hours per week, I assume around 37.5+, which technically qualifies you for CEC as you surpassed the 1,560 hours benchmark. Fourth, I personally came across many couples that got through the same situation as you, they applied for PR after their work anniversary and they're now PRs of Canada.

Hope this help

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ram1992,

I'm not an expert but I don't think you should decline the your ITA. I think what CIC does is they calculate based on the number of hours you have worked. So it says 30 hours weekly for one year i.e 1560 hours ( 52 weeks multiplied by 30). Now someone who works more that 30 hours weekly lets say 40 hours will complete that 1560 in 39 weeks and not 52 weeks. If you work 40 hours or more weekly I think you've actually qualified.

Please a quick question. Was there a part in your express entry profile they asked you if you have worked for one year? I had the same thing. I said no but I was still awarded points.

I don't know if I was able to help you but I do stand to be corrected.

The below is from cic website for CEC :-

Skilled work experience
To be eligible for the CEC, you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

• Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
Your experience must be at least

• 12 months of full-time work
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), OR
  • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
    • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Thank you and all the best.
Your whole premise is incorrect as one cannot count more than 30 hours per week for full-time work experience. Also, in order to claim a year of work experience one MUST work for a period of one year.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not decline your ITA. First, CIC do this purposely as the prioritize in-land foreign workers who gained lawful skilled employment in Canada. You should, however, send your e-APR after you met the CEC criteria (September 20th). Secondly, awarding points for CEC on a 12-month basis rather than strictly on YYYY/MM/DD basis prevents CRS score to further declining and prioritize workers in Canada. Third, you're also likely to be working more than 30+ hours per week, I assume around 37.5+, which technically qualifies you for CEC as you surpassed the 1,560 hours benchmark. Fourth, I personally came across many couples that got through the same situation as you, they applied for PR after their work anniversary and they're now PRs of Canada.

Hope this help
Again for the last time, one cannot count more than 30 hours per week - he has not meet the requirement.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Ram1992,
I think what CIC does is they calculate based on the number of hours you have worked.
That is not correct. The requirement is ONE YEAR (calendar year, 52 weeks) of full-time skilled work experience. Full-time is defined as "30 or more" hours worked per week. So it does not matter how many hours you work per week - 30, 40, 80 - it is just "full-time" and you need to work for one year to meet the requirement.

So it says 30 hours weekly for one year i.e 1560 hours ( 52 weeks multiplied by 30).
This is the hourly equivalent provided so that part-time workers (working fewer than 30 hours per week) can calculate their full-time equivalence (FTE). It has no relevance to full-time workers.

Reactions: DelPiero07

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You should not decline your ITA. . . You should, however, send your e-APR after you met the CEC criteria (September 20th).
The OP does not meet the requirements and should decline the ITA. IRCC makes it very clear that you MUST meet the minimum entry criteria (MEC) at the time the ITA is received.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/refuse.asp

Secondly, awarding points for CEC on a 12-month basis rather than strictly on YYYY/MM/DD basis prevents CRS score to further declining and prioritize workers in Canada.
Again, incorrect. IRCC calculates your work experience based on exact dates, as documented by letters of reference and supporting documents. The EE profile, however, only accepts mm/yyyy so it is possible that the system "thinks" you have one year before you actually do. Because of this "glitch," many people apply too soon and are refused. IRCC explicitly warns applicants that it is your own responsibility to ensure that you are eligible before you apply.

Third, you're also likely to be working more than 30+ hours per week, I assume around 37.5+, which technically qualifies you for CEC as you surpassed the 1,560 hours benchmark.
Incorrect. The minimum entry criteria include one year of full-time work (or the equivalent in part-time work experience). Doesn't matter how many hours you work, you still have to work for one year.

Reactions: DelPiero07

tushya

Oct 27, 2016
I support DelPiero and jes_ON. CIC DOES NOT count the working experience by working hours, but instead, it has to be 52 weeks of working period, plus 30 hours per week is the minimum. It does not matter how many hours more did you work, even if you work 100 hours per week, a week is still a week. 52 weeks, minimum 30 hours/week is the one-year criteria.

ramu_24

Mar 22, 2017
An applicant’s CRS score is automatically recorded in GCMS at the time when

• their ITA is issued; and
  • their e-APR is submitted.
At the time of the e-APR, processing officers should compare both CRS scores to determine which of the following scenarios should be applied:

• If the applicant’s CRS score at the time of the e-APR is equal to or higher than the lowest-ranked score in the round of invitations, the application will not be refused under section A11.2, as long as the applicant’s supporting documentation corroborates their claims and they continue to meet the MEC for Express Entry, including the requirements of the program to which they were invited to apply.
(Please refer the clause in bold.As per that it seems e-APR is crucial in application acceptance and counting the year of experience and not ITA)

• If the applicant’s CRS score at the time of the e-APR is lower than the lowest-ranked score in the round of invitations, the application should be refused under section A11.2 for not having maintained the qualifications that would justify the ITA.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An applicant’s CRS score is automatically recorded in GCMS at the time when

• their ITA is issued; and
  • their e-APR is submitted.
At the time of the e-APR, processing officers should compare both CRS scores to determine which of the following scenarios should be applied:

• If the applicant’s CRS score at the time of the e-APR is equal to or higher than the lowest-ranked score in the round of invitations, the application will not be refused under section A11.2, as long as the applicant’s supporting documentation corroborates their claims and they continue to meet the MEC for Express Entry, including the requirements of the program to which they were invited to apply.
(Please refer the clause in bold.As per that it seems e-APR is crucial in application acceptance and counting the year of experience and not ITA)

• If the applicant’s CRS score at the time of the e-APR is lower than the lowest-ranked score in the round of invitations, the application should be refused under section A11.2 for not having maintained the qualifications that would justify the ITA.
The problem isn't his CRS, the problem is that he doesn't meet the MEC for the CEC program.

"Ministerial Instructions created under the authority of section A10.3(1)(e) list the MEC for Express Entry. Applicants must meet the MEC to be accepted into the Express Entry pool and must also meet the MEC when they are issued an ITA and when they submit their e-APR."

Reactions: jes_ON