IT Job prospects in Canada

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
I doubt one could get into Canadian Software project management straight after migration.

Ankit,

Are there enough jobs being offered to Migrants ?
I have seen no issues with people in IT finding jobs. IT skills are transferable and if you have good soft skills and communication skills, I have seen every one finding jobs in 3 months

I have seen people struggling who have done quickfire (10 weeks ) QA or networking courses after landing in canada and looking for jobs, or those who do not have good soft skills.

Darshan.vyas

Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I m also IT Professional ,want to apply for PR ,So what i will do as a start up.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Darshan.vyas said:
Hello,

I m also IT Professional ,want to apply for PR ,So what i will do as a start up.
Go to this site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp
Read through the sections of Federal skilled workers and see if your job/ role is listed under NOC.
If yes, you can take the application kit from this site and proceed with the instructions mentioned there.
Also, take up the free eligibility test to see if you are elligible for the PR or not.

Darshan.vyas

Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Thanks for the your quick reply. :)

Still i am waiting for the FSW new categories will open on 4th may 2013.

Thanks.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Anyone interested in IT jobs, take a look at this link:

http://career-advice.monster.ca/job-hunt-strategy/company-industry-research/jobs-ca/article.aspx?WT.mc_n=Ycanada_YToday

As noted, technical services jobs are on the decline in Canada at the moment.

Darshan.vyas

Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Which are the technical services jobs ?

can you clear Please here.

skanna45

Mar 12, 2013
Hi Sir,

I read your post in the Canada immigration site and i need your help regarding the immigration to Canada. I Am a manual tester having 2.7 years of experience in testing and having good expertise in agile methodology. Me and my friend started initiating the process with the help of incanadanow immigration consultants and they said that they will help us to get a job over there and they will give support for visa process .. can i believe them and what about market for Indian testers. please reply me and share your experience...

Thanks,
Sravan

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
skanna45 said:
Hi Sir,

I read your post in the Canada immigration site and i need your help regarding the immigration to Canada. I Am a manual tester having 2.7 years of experience in testing and having good expertise in agile methodology. Me and my friend started initiating the process with the help of incanadanow immigration consultants and they said that they will help us to get a job over there and they will give support for visa process .. can i believe them and what about market for Indian testers. please reply me and share your experience...

Thanks,
Sravan
I would be very wary. Anyone that tells you they can get your a job makes me suspicious. Help you find one, allow you to apply for ones with their agents, maybe. But say "OH yes, I an find you a job..." nooooo. Do they want a huge fee?

You're best to do a google search and look for user reviews or go to the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.com). Legitimate business are registered there with a rating A-F. A being good, F being awful.

Syed Arsalan

Star Member
Jun 3, 2012
Hello to all,

I am new hear I read this post and found very interesting and informative.. I am flying for saskatoon,sasketchwan within 3 months . I am doing my graduation B.S (Computer) in my home country.
I have following skills tell me in saskatoon how i get my field job .. and i am not hard to find my field job I need survival jobs like cashier, clerks , data entry operator some thing like that.

html,
css,
MS- Office,
asp.net,
sql

ankit_20 said:
For IT guys who have landed in Canada or are landing in Canada, I believe the job prospects are promising. I believe this is because of 2 reasons
1.) In IT space the skills are transferrable. You code in Java, C or any other programming language same way across the world. Same goes for testing, administration, project management, support in IT field that skills are transferrable
2) Most candidates that I came across have decent English skills as they appear in IELTS before getting the PR and most of them has worked for Europe or US either from onsite or from a offshore location

I have been involved in mentoring some new immigrants for Canadian job market and found few things that may help new immigrants from IT background
1.) Over the period of time you have done many roles in IT space like development, BA, being a lead managing client, a PM etc. Please chosse what you want to do in Canada out of these roles. Create a resume targetted to that particular role. If you feel that even though you were a PM in last role but you are more suited for BA role, create a resume that can convey you are a solid BA
2.) Skills are transferrable, the gap is Canadaian experience or soft skills in most case. As you land in Canada join Coop, volunteer opportunities once you land in canada to bridge the Canadian exp or soft skill gap
3.) Institutions like Access employment, emploment Ontario etc help you bridge the soft skills gap
4.) Look out for a mentor in Candian market, TRIEC is a good resource. You can rech out to some on you know to give you 20-25 hours in 3 months as mentor
4.) Prepare for Candian style intterview. The interview here is more soft skill based, behavioral and very little technical. If you do not get an interview it depends on lot of things and some which are beyond your control, but if you flunk more that 3 interviews, it is a sin. It means you have not prepared well. if you need more information on how to prepare for interviews, search for various thread on this forum, one that I recommend is http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/something-which-i-learnt-in-canada-t59921.0.html
5.) Some recruiters, some time exploit new immigrants in my personal opinion, but are very goood source of getting you the first job. But more helpful will be people you know through linkedin, mentorship program or intership program or volunteer opportunities

If you need any more information or help in your job search in IT space please feel free to reach out to me

winie

Star Member
Jan 24, 2013
Hi,

I am from India coming to Canada for my masters in computer engg. this may

I wanted to know about job scenario in IT.I am a Oracle Certified professional and have 2 or 3 internships but no work experience.

what are the jobs prospects for me in future??any idea?

thanks

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
ankit_20 said:
it is good for a profile that you mentioned Sharat. You can connect a person with such a profile to me and I may be able to help
Hi Ankit,
I was out of touch for a while.
I was talking about myself. I will be landing in Canada on 21-June.
I have prepared my canadian style resume. You mentioned that you can help in this case.
Please send a PM with your mail id where I can connect with you or a linked in id.
That would be helpful.

Regards,
Sharat Joshi

ashwooddream

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2011
Doc's Request.
12-13-2011
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
12-13-2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-03-2011
Med's Request
12-13-2011
Med's Done....
07-22-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-13-2011
VISA ISSUED...
3-21-2012
LANDED..........
4-07-2012
I have been out of this site for quite a while, and just had time recently to again help out my fellow IT professionals. :)

I am a business analyst working at a big heavy equipment company in west Edmonton. I have been here in Canada for a year and four months now. I have been reading here that it is terribly difficult to land an IT job here in Edmonton; I bagged my first job 2 months after landing and after submitting maybe 20 resumes to different employers, so I don't know whether to disagree or just consider myself lucky. Nevertheless, there might be something in the way I executed my job search that helped me land one in quick fashion.

Long story short, I would like to help at least one or two fellow professionals make their own luck as well. I am situated in the west Edmonton area; if you want to talk shop, review your resume and short-term plans, I would be more than happy to do that over a cup of Timmy's. Don't worry as this is all pro-bono work and paying forward the help I have received along the way.

Cheers!

Anvaller

Star Member
Sep 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar. 2012
Med's Request
Feb. 2014
Passport Req..
Aug. 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Sep. 2014
LANDED..........
Oct 2014
I have sent u a pm @ashwood!

NAYA123

Jan 9, 2013
ashwooddream said:
I have been out of this site for quite a while, and just had time recently to again help out my fellow IT professionals. :)

I am a business analyst working at a big heavy equipment company in west Edmonton. I have been here in Canada for a year and four months now. I have been reading here that it is terribly difficult to land an IT job here in Edmonton; I bagged my first job 2 months after landing and after submitting maybe 20 resumes to different employers, so I don't know whether to disagree or just consider myself lucky. Nevertheless, there might be something in the way I executed my job search that helped me land one in quick fashion.

Long story short, I would like to help at least one or two fellow professionals make their own luck as well. I am situated in the west Edmonton area; if you want to talk shop, review your resume and short-term plans, I would be more than happy to do that over a cup of Timmy's. Don't worry as this is all pro-bono work and paying forward the help I have received along the way.

Cheers!
Hello Ashwooddream,
Thanks & I appreciate for the help you are offering here on this forum.
I need a help & suggestions from you, first let me introduce about us.
My husband has a totally 17 yrs of experience in IT worked in various technologies and also have more than 5 yrs of experience as Project manager & also worked close to 10 yrs in USA.
Last year he joined MBA in Canada and previously we had applied for PR in 2010, recently we submitted our passports also at New Delhi CHC.
My husband has got work permit also & he was trying for job this summer vacation since May , but no job in IT just he could get in as a Sales executive which is hourly paid.
Myself and my kids are in India & am also IT background..not sure to join my husband once we get landing papers for PR.
My husband is frustrated as no calls for interview, he is skeptical whether to stay or return to India, once he finishes his MBA(still 2 semester remaining).

He is residing in Calgary, Can you please help us, I can forward his CV.
Thanks
Naya123

Haarry123

Jul 28, 2013
Dear friends,

I am planning to come to CANADA in another 3-6 months. I have 4 years of experience in Software Manual testing and also partially worked in Hotel industry as for more income.

Now i am about to get an offer from Hotel industry as an unskilled job. Is it possible to come with unskilled work permit visa to change later to skilled professional visa?

Please help me out on this, i am eagerly waiting for your replies friends.