+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue with Sur Name and Given Name

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Hello Guys,

I have an issue in my name. I am an Indian Citizen. I don't have a Sur Name. In my Passport, I have only given name. Since Sur Name is a Mandatory in Canada, in my COPR they have put my given name in Family Name (Sur Name) field. So as per the Canadian Government's record I don't Have a First Name and Last Name. I have only a Sur Name. And as per the Indian Government Records, I don't have a Sur Name and I have only First Name and Last Name.

Please note that I have a valid SIN Number, Driving License, PR Card without any issue.

I have send a request to the CIC to change my name like my Last Name as Surname and my First Name as Given Name. But I got a letter from CIC and they said it is not possible and my whole name will be the Surname

So my question is after meeting the residence obligation, I will apply for the Canadian Citizenship. Do I have to do any thing in my name to avoid further complications?

Please share your thought.

Thanks,
Jithu

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jithucan123 said:
Hello Guys,

I have an issue in my name. I am an Indian Citizen. I don't have a Sur Name. In my Passport, I have only given name. Since Sur Name is a Mandatory in Canada, in my COPR they have put my given name in Family Name (Sur Name) field. So as per the Canadian Government's record I don't Have a First Name and Last Name. I have only a Sur Name. And as per the Indian Government Records, I don't have a Sur Name and I have only First Name and Last Name.

Please note that I have a valid SIN Number, Driving License, PR Card without any issue.

I have send a request to the CIC to change my name like my Last Name as Surname and my First Name as Given Name. But I got a letter from CIC and they said it is not possible and my whole name will be the Surname

So my question is after meeting the residence obligation, I will apply for the Canadian Citizenship. Do I have to do any thing in my name to avoid further complications?

Please share your thought.

Thanks,
Jithu
1. Unless you apply for a change of name in your province, your Citizenship certificate and Canadian passport will be issued with only a surname.

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Is there any issue if the Citizenship Certificate and Passport issued by only with a Sur Name?

I am residing in Alberta Province. So if I change my name with a Sur Name and a First Name, do I have to change my name in my Driving License and all other legal Canadian documents?

Thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jithucan123 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Is there any issue if the Citizenship Certificate and Passport issued by only with a Sur Name?

I am residing in Alberta Province. So if I change my name with a Sur Name and a First Name, do I have to change my name in my Driving License and all other legal Canadian documents?

Thanks,
1. Not really, most Indonesians have only 1 name, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
2. Yes, you would have to have all your documents changed as well.

TrueLiar

Star Member
Aug 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot. So I am not changing my name and I will have only a Sur Name.
Hi,

I am facing the same issue. I just have my given name on PR card.

I got my passport changed with full name and recently I have applied for a name change on PR card. Lets see if this happens or not.

Because of this issue when I went to rent a car I was told that without a surname you can not get into any legal contract.

Did you face any issues like such? What did you do then?

Any response will be much appreciated. Thanks.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Thanks a lot. So I am not changing my name and I will have only a Sur Name.
You can correct it in the India passport and then send for corrections in the PR card.

divyanls

Sep 3, 2017
Hi,
I have similar issue. My old passport had no surname, so both my name xxx yyy was in given name, so my visitor visa has xxx yyy in surname with blank given name which is valid for another 8 months. Now got a new passport with name bifurcation with xxx in given name and yyy in surname. My questions
1. I'm planning to apply a work permit with new passport, will it affect my application due to initial visitor visa name

2. Can I travel with xxx yyy in surname in visitor visa and xxx in given name and yyy in surname in new passport with out issues?

Urgent reply please