+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is upfront medical a must?

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Hi,

I'm applying PR for my wife with OUTLAND(Hong Kong) stream. but we do not want to do medical upfront since she is planning to get pregnant.
Is upfront medical a must since it is listed in the information guide or can we do it at a later stage but with possible delay of our application?

thanks

TimS85

Dec 23, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hpjack said:
Hi,

I'm applying PR for my wife with OUTLAND(Hong Kong) stream. but we do not want to do medical upfront since she is planning to get pregnant.
Is upfront medical a must since it is listed in the information guide or can we do it at a later stage but with possible delay of our application?

thanks
From my understanding it is a must to provide proof of medical exam by a panel physician with the submission of the application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
hpjack said:
Hi,

thanks
If she's planning to get pregnant, then she should definitely do the medical upfront, BEFORE she gets pregnant. Once she gets pregnant, she will most likely be unable to do the x-ray portion of exam so her PR will be delayed until after she gives birth and can complete the x-ray. Makes no sense at all to delay it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
They STRONGLY word the guide towards doing the exam upfront.

Medical instructions

You must undergo an upfront medical examination by contacting a Panel Physician.

Note: When medical results are submitted up-front, routine cases benefit from faster processing since we do not have to request them at a later date. Failure to submit proof that you completed the medical exam may result in processing delays.

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
We checked online and people say that even doing x-ray before getting pregnant will affect the development of babies that is why we do not want to take any chances.
how about those that have already pregnant? Are they not suppose to apply for outland application before baby is born?

thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
hpjack said:
We checked online and people say that even doing x-ray before getting pregnant will affect the development of babies that is why we do not want to take any chances.
how about those that have already pregnant? Are they not suppose to apply for outland application before baby is born?

thanks
People who are pregnant can still apply outland and take the medical, except they will get a deferral on just the x-ray portion. The app can process but at some point will go on hold until the applicant gives birth and afterwards completes the x-ray.

I don't think there's any danger in taking an x-ray before one is pregnant. I would talk to a real doctor about this, not some random people on the internet.

Mhunter

Star Member
Sep 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
AOR Received.
31-03-2016
File Transfer...
11-04-2016
Med's Done....
25-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-16
LANDED..........
Soooooon!!!!! ☺
hpjack said:

thanks
Hmmmm that seems a little bit ridiculous. That type of radiation doesn't stay in your body and they cover the ovaries etc. doctors are slightly concerned if you are pregnant before getting a chest X-ray and if you are not pregnant I doubt there is any risk. If there is I'm sure it's very small. A doctor once told me flying on a plane exposes you to more radiation than a chest X-ray.

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
thanks guys. We will consult with a doctor then.

But in the case that upfront medical exam cannot be performed, there should only be delay in the whole process and will not result in the return of application package or the application refusal correct?

thanks

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
hpjack said:
thanks guys. We will consult with a doctor then.

But in the case that upfront medical exam cannot be performed, there should only be delay in the whole process and will not result in the return of application package or the application refusal correct?

thanks
CIC would need to be aware of the situation. If they request something, they will expect it by a given date, and can refuse the application if they don't receive anything.

However even if you can't do X-rays, I don't think there is any reason not to do the exam. I believe the doctor can skip or reschedule the X-ray portion and still submit the partial results to CIC upfront satisfying their request.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
There is a form the doctor can help you fill out for deferral of x-ray due to pregnancy. So you can do the medical exam upfront, except for the x-ray if you choose. It will make CIC aware of the situation and why complete medical was not done.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/IMM5733E.pdf

ariesking

Star Member
Apr 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
Jan-2014
AOR Received.
Nov-2013
File Transfer...
Nov-2013
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
June 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sept-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct-2014
LANDED..........
April- 2015
Hi,
I did not do upfront medical and when my application was close to getting processed i went to panel of physicians and did my medical, so it is NOT a must.

Hope that helps.