+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any difference between Primary and Secondry applicant in PR

abeer786

Mar 19, 2018
Hi Guys,

I'm applying for Canadian Express entry program, however I'm in a tricky situation. The CiC calculator is showing my score very low in comparison's with my wife's who has 470 due to less age and higher IELTS score. We both have similar work profile (job) and educational qualifications.
Can anyone tell me what difference would it make, if I make her the primary applicant and myself secondary.

Out situation: We both plan to come to canada, however initially I was planning to work only as we have a small kid. We were also looking at a possibilty that I come to Canada first like 1-2 month before so I can find job and make house and other arrangements.

Would it all be possible if she is primary ? As I understand a PR is a PR there should not be any difference once its a granted. Can anyone confirm?

Regards,

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Hi Guys,

I'm applying for Canadian Express entry program, however I'm in a tricky situation. The CiC calculator is showing my score very low in comparison's with my wife's who has 470 due to less age and higher IELTS score. We both have similar work profile (job) and educational qualifications.
Can anyone tell me what difference would it make, if I make her the primary applicant and myself secondary.

Out situation: We both plan to come to canada, however initially I was planning to work only as we have a small kid. We were also looking at a possibilty that I come to Canada first like 1-2 month before so I can find job and make house and other arrangements.

Would it all be possible if she is primary ? As I understand a PR is a PR there should not be any difference once its a granted. Can anyone confirm?

Regards,

If CRS score is better with your wife as primary applicant then she should be the primary. The one difference in primary and secondary applicant is that primary applicant gets points for work experience thus he/she needs to show all valid work references and list of responsibilities etc. Secondary applicant does not need to show any job experience since there are no additional points for secondary applicant's work experience.

The primary applicant has to complete landing first or along with secondary applicant. Secondary applicant cannot land before or without primary applicant. But once you complete landing and then your wife can come back and you can look for job and make other arrangements. So it's definitely not a problem if your wife is the primary applicant.

bananitin

Mar 15, 2018
If CRS score is better with your wife as primary applicant then she should be the primary. The one difference in primary and secondary applicant is that primary applicant gets points for work experience thus he/she needs to show all valid work references and list of responsibilities etc. Secondary applicant does not need to show any job experience since there are no additional points for secondary applicant's work experience.

The primary applicant has to complete landing first or along with secondary applicant. Secondary applicant cannot land before or without primary applicant. But once you complete landing and then your wife can come back and you can look for job and make other arrangements. So it's definitely not a problem if your wife is the primary applicant.
Hi Purohit,
Can you confirm my understanding, Can me and my wife both can apply for EE profile separately, making each other secondary applicant?

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Hi Purohit,
Can you confirm my understanding, Can me and my wife both can apply for EE profile separately, making each other secondary applicant?
nope, that doesn't make any sense because you are essentially attempting to submit two applications for the same people. Make your wife the PA, as it does not make any difference as far as your aspirations are concerned.

Last edited:

sidganesh

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
10-03-2018
AOR Received.
10-03-2018
Passport Req..
30-04-2018
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2018
Hi Purohit,
Why would you want to do that?

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Hi Purohit,
The CRS calculator allows you to calculate your score are see if your wife is getting a higher score or you. Then it only makes sense to create profile with higher score right? The one with lower score won't get picked anyway...so it's pointless to make two profiles in my opinion.

Reactions: bananitin

bananitin

Mar 15, 2018
The CRS calculator allows you to calculate your score are see if your wife is getting a higher score or you. Then it only makes sense to create profile with higher score right? The one with lower score won't get picked anyway...so it's pointless to make two profiles in my opinion.
Correct, the lower score won't pick up. But at the moment, I do not have IELTS score. So not sure who will going to score more and have higher chances. Is there a way we can swap applicant in the middle of application?

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Correct, the lower score won't pick up. But at the moment, I do not have IELTS score. So not sure who will going to score more and have higher chances. Is there a way we can swap applicant in the middle of application?
You need to have IELTS and ECA ready before you apply. Without these two documents you cannot create an express entry profile.

So start by booking IELTS for both you and your spouse. And at the same time get your transcripts and send them to wes. This process will take between 30-60 days. By the end you will know who has better score and who can be primary applicant.

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi,

Did your partner has taken education assessment? If yes, definitely make her primary as chances are super high of getting ITA.

See, if you and your partner has taken IELTS ans education assessment, then better you both apply for EE profile. Reason, whether you became primary or she, you both has to pay the same fee. So better you both apply as different profile, making each other as secondary. Who so ever get ITA, other can leave his/her process in middle. Simple.

Another way to have high success rate, only ask your wife to go for PR under not accompanying spouse. There She'll be having more points and as her IELTS is high, she is cent percent through. Now once you land in Canada, you can apply for PR, which want to much time and much easier. But by the time you do not have PR in Canada, you can't work there.

One from my Side, what's your wife IELTS score. Me and my Wife are planning to take IELTS in a month, so just wants to have your thoughts. And did you send your WES form along with your transcript to WES?
This answer is full of misguided information. Don't create two such profiles, create for whoever has more CRS points as PA. Also, if she mentions you as non-accompanying, then you cannot enter Canada with her and have to look for other means to enter immediately. The most probable way is for her to sponsor you, which will take more than 12 months to process. I would always suggest to mention your spouse as accompanying, if you have enough points.

Last edited:

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
You can create your application, only when you have your IELTS and ECA results. So, by the time you create the profile, you will know who has more points. Then what is this question of swapping the applicant?

bananitin

Mar 15, 2018
This answer is full of misguided information. Don't create two such profiles, create for whoever has more CRS points as PA. Also, if she mention you as non-accompanying, then you cannot enter Canada and have to look for other means to enter immediately. The most probable way is for her to sponsor you, which will take more than 12 months to process. I would always suggest to mention your spouse as accompanying, if you have enough points.
Hi Santh,

I've deleted my post. I was not sure of it. Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Purohit,
Yes, you can each create a separate EE profile. The term "secondary applicant" is not correct. There is a "primary applicant" and "dependant(s)".

The benefits of having parallel profiles are questionable but it IS permitted. Once an ITA had been received, then it makes sense to only submit a single PR application. You both have to be admissible regardless of which of you received the ITA.

abeer786

Mar 19, 2018
Wow thanks all for the response. As many people pointed I also don't see a point to create two applications. Might be it is useful when you are your spouse have different work profile, but in my case its same. I'm getting like 415, her's is 470

So my original question once PR is granted, are the primary applicant and dependent treated differently or they are same. I mean in terms of working like dependent only works not the primary applicant? Also can dependent enter the country before the primary applicant or vice versa (like primary can enter first dependents can follow) or both primary and depdendent have to enter at same time ?

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
Wow thanks all for the response. As many people pointed I also don't see a point to create two applications. Might be it is useful when you are your spouse have different work profile, but in my case its same. I'm getting like 415, her's is 470

So my original question once PR is granted, are the primary applicant and dependent treated differently or they are same. I mean in terms of working like dependent only works not the primary applicant? Also can dependent enter the country before the primary applicant or vice versa (like primary can enter first dependents can follow) or both primary and depdendent have to enter at same time ?
As dependent applicant, the first time you enter Canada, you can either land with the primary applicant or, after the primary applicant has landed. You cannot land before the primary applicant.

Once both of you have finished the landing process, you are both PR and granted the same privileges. You can stay and find work while she joins you later, etc.