+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any better way...

fatherspectre

Apr 23, 2018
So, I'm an American trying to move to Canada indefinitely, specifically Montreal as of right now. I want to move in with my girlfriend, and her kids, and have a family with her. I've already started to apply to colleges around where she lives, and might be getting accepted, but there is not a guarantee. Am I allowed to live with her for up to six months (visitors visa) while I await acceptance from colleges/for a Student Visa? Or is there a better way for me to go about this?
To be completely honest, we just want to be able to live together as soon as possible. I'd like to be able to find a job while I'm there too.
We also plan to get married... I'm not sure if this really affects much anymore.
Thank you!

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
is your girlfriend Canadian citizen or PR?

Immigration to Canada generally follows either study and work, or family.

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
You get married, then start PR process,

I recommend checking carefully the link I posted in the reply above (Guide 5525, and references therein), it has all the information. There many forms and documents to collect. Moreover, if she currently lives, and intends to stay, in Quebec, the procedure is even more tedious.

Sponsors living in Quebec
The province of Quebec has its own immigration rules. After your application is received, IRCC will send you an email or letter with instructions about how to apply to the Quebec government to become a sponsor.

In the meantime, you can visit Canada (generally for 6 months), and you could be eligible for Open work permit (this allows you to work almost all jobs in Canada).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17&_ga=2.140445427.1728028528.1524498481-1651224622.1522265983

Once the Open work permit is approved, you could stay in Canada longer than 6 months (even if PR application is still pending)

fatherspectre

Apr 23, 2018
You get married, then start PR process,

I recommend checking carefully the link I posted in the reply above (Guide 5525, and references therein), it has all the information. There many forms and documents to collect. Moreover, if she currently lives, and intends to stay, in Quebec, the procedure is even more tedious.

Sponsors living in Quebec
The province of Quebec has its own immigration rules. After your application is received, IRCC will send you an email or letter with instructions about how to apply to the Quebec government to become a sponsor.

In the meantime, you can visit Canada (generally for 6 months), and you could be eligible for Open work permit (this allows you to work almost all jobs in Canada).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17&_ga=2.140445427.1728028528.1524498481-1651224622.1522265983

Once the Open work permit is approved, you could stay in Canada longer than 6 months (even if PR application is still pending)
Okay! thank you very much. this has been helpful

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So, you could enter Canada on your US passport, and then if you wish to stay longer than 6 months, you can file an extension of your stay while waiting for colleges, while your sponsorship application is being processed, or simply to establish the 12-month common-law relationship requirement if you do not get married right away.

fatherspectre

Apr 23, 2018
So, you could enter Canada on your US passport, and then if you wish to stay longer than 6 months, you can file an extension of your stay while waiting for colleges, while your sponsorship application is being processed, or simply to establish the 12-month common-law relationship requirement if you do not get married right away.
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you mean. So, I live in Canada with my girlfriend for 6 months, and before those are up ask for an extension? And if I can get another 6 months then she can sponsor me?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you mean. So, I live in Canada with my girlfriend for 6 months, and before those are up ask for an extension? And if I can get another 6 months then she can sponsor me?
That's exactly right.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Poke around in these forums, particularly in the Visitors and Family Sponsorship sections for similar cases to yours. This is all allowed as long as you follow the rules and apply accordingly.

Of course, if you do get married sooner than 12 months, as mentioned earlier, then you can start to be eligible for spousal sponsorship.

fatherspectre

Apr 23, 2018
That's exactly right.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Poke around in these forums, particularly in the Visitors and Family Sponsorship sections for similar cases to yours. This is all allowed as long as you follow the rules and apply accordingly.

Of course, if you do get married sooner than 12 months, as mentioned earlier, then you can start to be eligible for spousal sponsorship.
Okay, thank you! this is really helping. I appreciate you answers.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
So, I'm an American trying to move to Canada indefinitely, specifically Montreal as of right now. I want to move in with my girlfriend, and her kids, and have a family with her. I've already started to apply to colleges around where she lives, and might be getting accepted, but there is not a guarantee. Am I allowed to live with her for up to six months (visitors visa) while I await acceptance from colleges/for a Student Visa? Or is there a better way for me to go about this?
To be completely honest, we just want to be able to live together as soon as possible. I'd like to be able to find a job while I'm there too.
We also plan to get married... I'm not sure if this really affects much anymore.
Thank you!
Careful! You have too many red flags in your situation and statements.. You cannot come across as an intending immigrant if you want to live temporarily in Montreal with your girlfriend before becoming a PR so pay attention to what information you'll disclose and what actions you'll take.

Specifically, you cannot be approved for study if the actual reason is to live with your GF and this will be obvious if the colleges are close to where she lives, so apply for colleges both near and far and make sure the program fits well in your curriculum. You're okay to visit but intending to stay 6 months or more will definitely put in question your home ties and intentions to return back to the US, especially if you were so forthcoming about your girlfriend and your future plans.. these circumstances may lead any immigration officer to impose a refusal to your entry.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
How old are you?

fatherspectre

Apr 23, 2018
Careful! You have too many red flags in your situation and statements.. You cannot come across as an intending immigrant if you want to live temporarily in Montreal with your girlfriend before becoming a PR so pay attention to what information you'll disclose and what actions you'll take.

Specifically, you cannot be approved for study if the actual reason is to live with your GF and this will be obvious if the colleges are close to where she lives, so apply for colleges both near and far and make sure the program fits well in your curriculum. You're okay to visit but intending to stay 6 months or more will definitely put in question your home ties and intentions to return back to the US, especially if you were so forthcoming about your girlfriend and your future plans.. these circumstances may lead any immigration officer to impose a refusal to your entry.
I'll consider this. thank you