+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the accompanying applicant in the PR appln eligible to apply for BOWP?

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Hello friends,

I received ITA and submitted the PR application. My spouse is the accompanying applicant in the PR application and her PGWP expires soon. I would like to know whether the accompanying applicant, is eligible to apply for BOWP?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Nalanda said:
Hello friends,

I received ITA and submitted the PR application. My spouse is the accompanying applicant in the PR application and her PGWP expires soon. I would like to know whether the accompanying applicant, is eligible to apply for BOWP?
No, dependents of main PR applicant are not eligible for BOWP. However if you have valid study permit or work permit, than your spouse might be eligible to apply for SOWP.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
Nalanda said:
Hello friends,

When you apply for BOWP you can attach her application to yours for Spousal Open Work Permit. It's not BOWP for her, but basically the same thing.

Open C41 section and check specific spousal situations:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
pfse said:
No, dependents of main PR applicant are not eligible for BOWP. However if you have valid study permit or work permit, than your spouse might be eligible to apply for SOWP.
Thanks, for your comments +1. I am on PGWP too. I have PGWP valid till 2018. So I need to apply for SPOUSAL open work permit as per the below link.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
neorol said:
When you apply for BOWP you can attach her application to yours for Spousal Open Work Permit. It's not BOWP for her, but basically the same thing.

Open C41 section and check specific spousal situations:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp
Thanks for the link +1.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Hello friends,

Can we go to Rainbow bridge (US-Canada Niagara border) to do flagpoling to get the new spousal open work permit based on my PGWP?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Nalanda said:
Hello friends,

Can we go to Rainbow bridge (US-Canada Niagara border) to do flagpoling to get the new spousal open work permit based on my PGWP?
No. You should apply online.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/port.asp
Persons who hold a valid work permit, who wish to change their conditions or renew their work permit should apply in Canada, pursuant to section 199 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

Also pay attention. Yor spouse is eligible for SOWP only if your PGWP is valid for longer than 6 months and you have job that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A or B.