+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is spouse of bridge-open-work-permit holder eligible for open work permit?

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
25-02-2017 (BG IP: 25-02-2017, BG NA: 09-03-2017, BG IP2: 25-03-2017)
I have recently got bridge open work permit, as my PR application is under process.
Is my husband eligible for an open work permit? If so, can he get the open work permit by going to the Canada-US border and if so do I have to go with him as well?
Thanks

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have recently got bridge open work permit, as my PR application is under process.
Is my husband eligible for an open work permit? If so, can he get the open work permit by going to the Canada-US border and if so do I have to go with him as well?
Thanks
Your husband is eligible to apply for Open work Permit (to apply online).

No idea about other questions.

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
25-02-2017 (BG IP: 25-02-2017, BG NA: 09-03-2017, BG IP2: 25-03-2017)
Your husband is eligible to apply for Open work Permit (to apply online).

No idea about other questions.

Thanks very much for the reply.
Do you have any reference for this?
My husband entered Canada few days ago and tried to get the work permit while entering in the airport, which was denied by the officer!
He had first shown his new work contract to the officer and they said you need LMIA. Then he had shown a copy of my bridge work permit and asked them to ignore his work contract. But strangely the officer did not approve his work permit application.
That's why I thought maybe my work permit would not make him eligible.

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
He can apply for a work permit at a port of entry if he is from a visa-exempt country.

Only the Principal Applicant is eligible for a BOWP, however a spouse may be eligible for a spouse open work permit, based on the PA's BOWP and under which program the the PA has applied. That means to get the SOWP, they would need to show proof of your BOWP (AOR, copy of BOWP if you have already received it). And they may need to show proof of the PA's employment in a skilled occupation (FSW class), or not (CEC class).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

"The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a BOWP:
  • foreign nationals applying for a BOWP at a port of entry or visa office;
  • spouses and dependants of principal permanent resident applicants..."

"Spouse or common-law partner and dependants
Certain conditions must be met by the holder of a BOWP in order for their spouse or common-law partner to also be eligible for an open work permit under subparagraph R205(c)(ii) as a spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker (see International Mobility Program: Public policy, competitiveness and economy).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/labour-market-impact-assessments/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

"Eligibility for specific spousal situations
Spouses of bridging open work permit (BOWP) holders

If the principal foreign worker has obtained a BOWP, the following eligibility requirements apply:
  • All principal foreign workers’ work permits must be valid for six months or longer.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of federal skilled worker class (FSWC) applicants, the BOWP holder must be performing work that is at a level that falls within NOC skill levels 0, A or B.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of provincial nominee class (PNC) applicants, the spouse or common-law partner is eligible for an open work permit for the duration of the work permit held by the principal PNC applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PNC applicant’s occupation.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of federal skilled trades class (FSTC) applicants, the BOWP holder must be performing work that is within one of the skilled trade occupations in NOC skill level B.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of Canadian experience class (CEC) applicants, there are no set preconditions to be met by the principal CEC applicant.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of caregiver applicants (caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class), the BOWP holder must be performing work within one of the qualifying occupations in NOC skill level 0, A or B."

Reactions: huzm

huzm

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
He can apply for a work permit at a port of entry if he is from a visa-exempt country.

Only the Principal Applicant is eligible for a BOWP, however a spouse may be eligible for a spouse open work permit, based on the PA's BOWP and under which program the the PA has applied. That means to get the SOWP, they would need to show proof of your BOWP (AOR, copy of BOWP if you have already received it). And they may need to show proof of the PA's employment in a skilled occupation (FSW class), or not (CEC class).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

"The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a BOWP:
  • foreign nationals applying for a BOWP at a port of entry or visa office;
  • spouses and dependants of principal permanent resident applicants..."

"Spouse or common-law partner and dependants
Certain conditions must be met by the holder of a BOWP in order for their spouse or common-law partner to also be eligible for an open work permit under subparagraph R205(c)(ii) as a spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker (see International Mobility Program: Public policy, competitiveness and economy).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/labour-market-impact-assessments/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

"Eligibility for specific spousal situations
Spouses of bridging open work permit (BOWP) holders

If the principal foreign worker has obtained a BOWP, the following eligibility requirements apply:
  • All principal foreign workers’ work permits must be valid for six months or longer.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of federal skilled worker class (FSWC) applicants, the BOWP holder must be performing work that is at a level that falls within NOC skill levels 0, A or B.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of provincial nominee class (PNC) applicants, the spouse or common-law partner is eligible for an open work permit for the duration of the work permit held by the principal PNC applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PNC applicant’s occupation.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of federal skilled trades class (FSTC) applicants, the BOWP holder must be performing work that is within one of the skilled trade occupations in NOC skill level B.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of Canadian experience class (CEC) applicants, there are no set preconditions to be met by the principal CEC applicant.
  • For spouses or common-law partners of caregiver applicants (caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class), the BOWP holder must be performing work within one of the qualifying occupations in NOC skill level 0, A or B."
Thanks a lot for your reply. You are helping people in different threads regarding this issue. Well done!

Reactions: jes_ON