+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is position advertisement needed for Low-wage category Positions?

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
I found the below quote here, in the requirements section: esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/general/index.shtml

Transition to a Canadian Workforce
Employers must engage in activities to transition to a Canadian workforce and reduce their reliance on TFWs. The specific requirements an employer must follow are determined by the wage being offered for the position, in relation to the provincial/territorial median hourly wage, based on Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey ( 2013 ).

Employers offering a wage to a TFW that is:

BELOW the provincial/territorial median hourly wage will be subject to a cap on low-wage positions;
AT or ABOVE the provincial/territorial median hourly wage will be required to complete a Transition Plan for high-wage positions.
Does that mean if the employee is paid less than the median wage for that NOC, the employer does not have to advertise the job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ThisIsHoof said:
Does that mean if the employee is paid less than the median wage for that NOC, the employer does not have to advertise the job?
No - it doesn't mean that. The employer still needs to advertise.

It just means that there's a cap on the number of low wage TFWs.

bambooshka

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
To get an LMIA, I think one of the conditions is to show that job was advertised. That sentence says that if the wage is less than the median; that particular NOC will get capped. Meaning only fixed number of applicants will be passed through.

bambooshka

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
ThisIsHoof said:
Ok, do low wage positions require a Transition plan also?
From the language on the link, looks like No. http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/general/index.shtml#lowWage

They will be given two years time to transition to Canadian workforce. But employers do not have to explicitly submit anything as they have to do with high wage positions.

Also sorry, NOC will not be capped but the total manpower at work will be capped.

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
bambooshka said:
They will be given two years time to transition to Canadian workforce. But employers do not have to explicitly submit anything as they have to do with high wage positions.

Also sorry, NOC will not be capped but the total manpower at work will be capped.
My company employs less than 10 people nationally so I think I'm exempt from the manpower gap.