+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is North York, Toronto a safe place for new migrants? Please help with more info

Rajdxb

Jul 11, 2011
Hi Anu & Chari,

Can you please advise if the Forest Manor Road is a good place, we intend to shift to Metcap apartments on this road.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,

Rajesh Kumar

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Rajdxb said:
Hi Anu & Chari,

Can you please advise if the Forest Manor Road is a good place, we intend to shift to Metcap apartments on this road.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,

Rajesh Kumar
Metcap / Toronto North / Parkway Forest Community

All the three below r quite good vis-a-vis community, bldg., neighborhood, transit etc.:
Ash Grove - 65 Forest Manor Road
Cedar Grove - 32-50 Forest Manor Road
Elm Grove - 80 Forest Manor Road

Qorax

Suds

Oct 30, 2009
I am trying to send a message to your inbox, it says recipients not found, hence unble to send. looking suggestions from you on METCAP. we(couple) looking for accomodation from january 2012.

Thanks
Sudheer

anushauc said:
Move2Can,

This is Anusha & Chari, from Chennai, India.
We have landed on 21st June and are in North York, right near the subway ( Rapid Transport or the Metro as we say in India ).

Its one of the best and safest places as far as we see, looking at the below advantages. It depends on which place in North York you are looking at. We suggest the Yonge ( the center / longest road in the world under which the TTC Subway Yellow line moves )
- Close to Subway ( if on / around yonge ) ( Helps in Winter )
- Center of Toronto / GTA Area ( Virtually Center with all access/transportation facilities ) ( at least until you know where you are going to work as Toronto / GTA is simply huge )
- Rapid Transport access along with Go Bus and TTC bus ( A little walk on either side and you reach Finch / Sheppard where again connectivity is amazing )
- All shopping and night life as well
- Closer access to the Sheppard-Yonge Purple line TTC Subway as well )
- Closer access to Finch where you have Mississauga / Brampton / Viva and other buses along with GO services as well
- All shopping / banking / cinema /other facilities close by ( actually right outside subway system itself )
- Police Station right close to the subway at North York
- Close by downtown ( helps if you work in the financial sector specifically - I am from IT and my wife from banking )
- Also for children, you have access to the best schools close by from here

Flip Side
- Little expensive ( but if you go to other places, remember you have a 12 month agreement on the housing which is a problem until you land up with jobs which you dont where it would be !!!! and how you would commute esp until you have a car )
- Indian Grocery and the Eglington Walmart Super Center ( the biggest one around ) is a little far off but its probably only a trip once in a month by public transport

I dont see anything more. You can PM me for any queries. Let me know and reach me as you land as we may be able to help. Let us know from which part of the world you are moving in here. We also have a monthly or so immigrants meeting with able coordination by Captain Dutta ( Qorax ) where we meet up and discuss things to network and help each other ( next meeting would be by 1st-2nd week of August ).

Hope I have given enough info for now :)

Regards
Anusha & Chari

S

Sarah Dhanoa

Jane and finch is worst area in north york ! Murders are common dere

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Suds said:
I am trying to send a message to your inbox, it says recipients not found, hence unble to send. looking suggestions from you on METCAP. we(couple) looking for accomodation from january 2012.

Thanks
Sudheer
Anushauc have left the forum long back.

Suds

Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for the info qorax. By the way I called Metcap apartments, close to my place(scarborough), they say 12months lease are available , but 6 months lease are over just 10 days back.Anyways still we are looking for sublease an 1 bed or 2 bed. since I dont have a job , I dont want to comit for 12 months lease. By the way I called up overseashome.ca..looks like from Jan it is available but prices seems to be high. Please let me know for any help on the apartment which i need from jan2012.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Suds said:
Thanks for the info qorax. By the way I called Metcap apartments, close to my place(scarborough), they say 12months lease are available , but 6 months lease are over just 10 days back.Anyways still we are looking for sublease an 1 bed or 2 bed. since I dont have a job , I dont want to comit for 12 months lease. By the way I called up overseashome.ca..looks like from Jan it is available but prices seems to be high. Please let me know for any help on the apartment which i need from jan2012.
U may also look@"SafeHomeStay.com", "Studio6" & "Motel6" for your short-term accom... about 2 weeks to a month... then look around for an appropriate longer lease. In Toronto, getting a 6-months' lease might be hard, however in Mississauga or Brampton u could surely get one.

Qorax

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
qorax said:
U may also look @ "SafeHomeStay.com", "Studio6" & "Motel6" for your short-term accom... about 2 weeks to a month... then look around for an appropriate longer lease. In Toronto, getting a 6-months' lease might be hard, however in Mississauga or Brampton u could surely get one.

Qorax
Please do not stay in guesthouses as suggested in some of these links. Besides having to share a house with 15 other people for more than a rent in a decent building would be in that area, these guesthouses are underground establishments pucketing cash and not declaring taxes.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrbeachman said:
Please do not stay in guesthouses as suggested in some of these links. Besides having to share a house with 15 other people for more than a rent in a decent building would be in that area, these guesthouses are underground establishments pucketing cash and not declaring taxes.
But guesthouse usually does not check credit history and are more flexible on length of stays (versus engage in a tenancy in a decent building), and thus might be better for immigrants than temporary staying in regular hotel rooms (which would be more expensive). I agree for longer term, renting in a decent building in that area would be a better alternative than guesthouse.

Able2

Mar 20, 2011
Avoid Jane and Finch and Rexdale

Although apartments there are cheap.

There's one that's cheap and nice. 5 Harding Avenue. Only $750 for a Junior 1 Bedroom. Although an unfortunate murder happened on the ground floor last year.

Rahuldost

Jan 24, 2012
HI we will be doing our landing this August i am confused between North york and Mississauga which one is better for a a family to begin life in Canada my daughter is 12 and priority will be good schooling and job will follow .

Rahuldost

Jan 24, 2012
HI can you please have a look at my post North york or Mississauga is there a way i can get in touch with you guys

anushauc said:
Move2Can,

This is Anusha & Chari, from Chennai, India.
We have landed on 21st June and are in North York, right near the subway ( Rapid Transport or the Metro as we say in India ).

Its one of the best and safest places as far as we see, looking at the below advantages. It depends on which place in North York you are looking at. We suggest the Yonge ( the center / longest road in the world under which the TTC Subway Yellow line moves )
- Close to Subway ( if on / around yonge ) ( Helps in Winter )
- Center of Toronto / GTA Area ( Virtually Center with all access/transportation facilities ) ( at least until you know where you are going to work as Toronto / GTA is simply huge )
- Rapid Transport access along with Go Bus and TTC bus ( A little walk on either side and you reach Finch / Sheppard where again connectivity is amazing )
- All shopping and night life as well
- Closer access to the Sheppard-Yonge Purple line TTC Subway as well )
- Closer access to Finch where you have Mississauga / Brampton / Viva and other buses along with GO services as well
- All shopping / banking / cinema /other facilities close by ( actually right outside subway system itself )
- Police Station right close to the subway at North York
- Close by downtown ( helps if you work in the financial sector specifically - I am from IT and my wife from banking )
- Also for children, you have access to the best schools close by from here

Flip Side
- Little expensive ( but if you go to other places, remember you have a 12 month agreement on the housing which is a problem until you land up with jobs which you dont where it would be !!!! and how you would commute esp until you have a car )
- Indian Grocery and the Eglington Walmart Super Center ( the biggest one around ) is a little far off but its probably only a trip once in a month by public transport

I dont see anything more. You can PM me for any queries. Let me know and reach me as you land as we may be able to help. Let us know from which part of the world you are moving in here. We also have a monthly or so immigrants meeting with able coordination by Captain Dutta ( Qorax ) where we meet up and discuss things to network and help each other ( next meeting would be by 1st-2nd week of August ).

Hope I have given enough info for now :)

Regards
Anusha & Chari