+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is MIDDLE NAME part of GIVEN NAME?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
I have the same problem. Did you include your mother’s name? (Middle name)
This is pretty simple: go with what is in your passport. First and middle names are part of given names. Surname/lastnames are the same.

There might be exceptions in some very specific cultures but if you're not sure - go with what is in your passport. First and middle name are given names.

roxith

Dec 28, 2021
This is pretty simple: go with what is in your passport. First and middle names are part of given names. Surname/lastnames are the same.

There might be exceptions in some very specific cultures but if you're not sure - go with what is in your passport. First and middle name are given names.
Hi, thanks for replying. My question is for those who applied without their middle name but successfully became a PR or if they got refused by the immigration because of that.

Reactions: Steak75

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi, thanks for replying. My question is for those who applied without their middle name but successfully became a PR or if they got refused by the immigration because of that.
Give specifics of what you want to do and why. That might make it easier to help you better.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Give specifics of what you want to do and why.
This is really important, no point trying to figure out what you need.

It may help to know that by custom in Canada, many institutions will just not include your middle name if you ask them (like at banks, etc). In some cases even driver's license or similar. Often people will use a shortened version of their first name, or switch and customarily use their middle name, or initials, or sometimes different names.

So if you just don't want to use your middle name once settled in Canada - just don't use it; that approach will work for most stuff. Then if you really want to get it off your PR card and the official ones, you can change your name legally (whether it works for passport is a question for your home country).

But for the task at hand: best to supply full name as in your travel document - there is a possibility it would get delayed if you don't include. If you want to include a note with your app that you'd prefer First Last and not First Middle Last on travel documents, maybe it will work.

But from what I've seen, IRCC almost always prefers exact match with what is in English in passport (eg if passport has non-latin characters also). [There are some important exceptions like applicants with only a first name, no last name - iRCC makes them use it as last name.]

Last edited:
Reactions: roxith and DimT44

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021

It may help to know that by custom in Canada, many institutions will just not include your middle name if you ask them (like at banks, etc). In some cases even driver's license or similar. Often people will use a shortened version of their first name, or switch and customarily use their middle name, or initials, or sometimes different names.

So if you just don't want to use your middle name once settled in Canada - then don't use it; that approach will work for most stuff. Then if you really want to get it off your PR card and the official ones, you can change your name legally (whether it works for passport is a question for your home country).

But for the task at hand: best to supply full name as in your travel document - there is a possibility it would get delayed if you don't include. If you want to include a note with your app that you'd prefer First Last and not First Middle Last on travel documents, maybe it will work.

But from what I've seen, IRCC almost always prefers exact match with what is in English in passport (eg if passport has non-latin characters also). [There are some important exceptions like applicants with only a first name, no last name - iRCC makes them use it as last name.]
I got lucky with a good officer. I dropped my middle names in my PR card renewal and the officer changed it for me. It was not an intentional change on my end, but I actually never use them so it was a natural “change” without a letter asking for it or an official change in the court. But this is a common thing as @armoured indicated, but IRCC of course still has my full name as per my passport.

In the gcms notes of my application it has a note that says:
Note: Name on application changed. Old value(s): A B C D E. New value(s): A E.

Reactions: roxith and armoured

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I got lucky with a good officer. I dropped my middle names in my PR card renewal and the officer changed it for me. It was not an intentional change on my end, but I actually never use them so it was a natural “change” without a letter asking for it or an official change in the court. But this is a common thing as @armoured indicated, but IRCC of course still has my full name as per my passport.

In the gcms notes of my application it has a note that says:
Note: Name on application changed. Old value(s): A B C D E. New value(s): A E.
@roxith just to be extra clear, I actually advise against doing it without an official change. It’s not worth the headache it could cause. Either change your name on your passport first, or wait till after becoming a PR to change it here legally.

roxith

Dec 28, 2021

So if you just don't want to use your middle name once settled in Canada - just don't use it; that approach will work for most stuff. Then if you really want to get it off your PR card and the official ones, you can change your name legally (whether it works for passport is a question for your home country).

Ok thank you. It’s more clear now. I am worrued my application will get refused because in my country, we don’t really have a middle name as Jane Carol with Carol as middle. It’s still a given name and middle name is our mother’s maiden surname. So in all of iur applicationas per PR and WP, we did not include the middle name until we went for a medical and used our mother’s surname attached to our name. Thank you both.

roxith

Dec 28, 2021
@roxith just to be extra clear, I actually advise against doing it without an official change. It’s not worth the headache it could cause. Either change your name on your passport first, or wait till after becoming a PR to change it here legally.
Ok so I guess we need to write and change it via webform.
Thank you!

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Ok so I guess we need to write and change it via webform.
Thank you!
I’m sorry I actually thought you did not submit your application yet. Did you recieve AOR yet? This changes things slightly since sending webforms without a file number might confuse things.

To give more context, on IRCC’s forms in some places it asks for you to write your name exactly as it appears in your passport. In other places it just asks for the name without specifying.

Review what you sent the first time, if you followed the instructions carefully where it asks for the name as it appears on the passport, and in other places you have removed your mother’s maiden name, then I believe it might be okay.

On your birth certificate, does it say given name: your name + mother’s maiden name? Or does it show only your name?

roxith

Dec 28, 2021
I’m sorry I actually thought you did not submit your application yet. Did you recieve AOR yet? This changes things slightly since sending webforms without a file number might confuse things.

To give more context, on IRCC’s forms in some places it asks for you to write your name exactly as it appears in your passport. In other places it just asks for the name without specifying.

Review what you sent the first time, if you followed the instructions carefully where it asks for the name as it appears on the passport, and in other places you have removed your mother’s maiden name, then I believe it might be okay.

On your birth certificate, does it say given name: your name + mother’s maiden name? Or does it show only your name?
In my birth cert, given name is my name, my mother’s surname is middle name, in the passport, it also states as my middle name.
i have nit recieved my aor yet, but I thought to change it before I get the aor. If this will confuse things, then I will just wait for it. Thanks very much. Reason why we got confused is because our middle name is our mother’s surname

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
In my birth cert, given name is my name, my mother’s surname is middle name, in the passport, it also states as my middle name.
i have nit recieved my aor yet, but I thought to change it before I get the aor. If this will confuse things, then I will just wait for it. Thanks very much. Reason why we got confused is because our middle name is our mother’s surname
Your birth certificate answered that question, that name should be counted as a middle name.

My case was slightly different since these middle names were not written on my birth certificate as middle names. But specified separate from my given name and written as mother’s name: xxx and etc. So even though they showed up on my passport as what appears to be a middle name, the birth certificate clearly separates them from the given name.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I also didn't realize you'd already submitted.

Can't say what is best to do - as before I always recommend providing whatever is in the passport as name (unless there are some exceptional reasons why not); that's what the instructions say.

Now that it's with them, I'd hope they wouldn't return for this but can't say for sure. You could try to advise them but it may not have much effect without submitting completely revised forms.

you don't say when you submitted - as a wild guess I'd say wait and see if you get AOR or if it gets returned. Submitting inquiries and revised forms may create just as much delay as getting it returned and resubmitting, and now there is at least a chance it'll just be accepted (or conceivably accept and ask you to update forms).

But again, really can't say and it's your choice.

Reactions: DimT44

Zeig

Mar 4, 2019
I also like to ask the same question. I did not know that the middle name is part of the given name, as my passport separated the Given name, middle name and surname. I remember when filling the application it says write the guven name as stated in your travel document it never stated that middle name is part of given name. I just read somewhere that middle name should be placed as given name. In my case, they already asked me to do remed. Everything is done already, biometrics and remed passed. Waiting for PPR... But Im having anxiety after reading it last month, I might get rejected... Im already waiting for 2 years... Im Dec 2019 AOR