+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth moving to Canada???????????????

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Manager ,
I think you have said it all, a word to a wise is sufficient. Decision making is a very difficult subject. I learnt it in my administration class. One of my classmates saw it on the timetable and just said," so there is a subject only to learn how to make decisions" We all laughed , so let us not be speaking so hard to awaranag. He has the decision to make and he has the final say whether to move or not to move. That is that.

Canadaforall.

birdtocanada

Star Member
Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so the thread continues?

Let awarang make his own decision

let his own judgement do justice to his desire

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Awarang

Its always easy to apply but harder to do the actual move. But for some that 'harder' is not that hard because of the place or the situation they are in. If one is content with what one has (both in the sense of now and the future), then the move is harder.

I can only tell you my situation or tell you what to think about. But you would have to put all the information into your context and your life before you make the decision.

A lot of people will love to be in my situation of being in the US, but I applied to Canada partly because I think (not that I know for sure), I will like living in Canada more than in the US. I should get a good degree from the US soon so the US has a lot of opportunity for me. In fact, I was at a conference recently and two very senior people from Global 500s came to me after my talk. So I definitely think opportunity in terms of career is better in Canada. Somehow I think life (overall) would be better in Canada, hence my reason for applying to Canada (and I don't think career would be terrible in Canada).

What do you want in life? Perhaps its money, perhaps its good weather, perhaps its a chance to live nearer to your original country, etc. Only you know what is important for your life so make a decision based on that. Some people will say future for your children is better in Canada. Would they say that to Amitabh Bachan's children (if they were young). Amitabh Bachan could send his children anywhere in the world. But his children may not have had that opportunity if he had decided not to go into Bollywood but instead moved to Canada. Only you know your situation to know whether being where you are now or moving to Canada would give your children and you a better life.

Finally, I must say it is a hard decision to move anywhere. It makes it even more harder when you have family and have to think about children's schooling, etc. So good luck with the decision. Look through what everyone has said and see if their sitation/context fits your life and make your decision on that. Of course, think about the future and risk involved with each country. Good luck.

ADA

Mar 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Mar 2009
Doc's Request.
07 Apr 2009 - Sent on 29 Jun 2009
Folks could not ignore this thread....Though it may not be relevant to anymore to the thread creator or other's seeking help...

Why is this world full of so many mean 'tardy' people... The man is asking for some push in his decision making cycle... Dont spit venom in the process by talking trash...

Awarng... your are not being 'awara' nor are you being selfish... you are doing right....

For people who are making $10,000 and others living great life on the moon... please shut your trap and stop using internet to reduce the "POLLUTION INFORMATION"

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I have to say, I enjoyed reading ADA's and BobbyB's posts the most and they both made sense.

boss2009

Star Member
Oct 17, 2009
I will tell you about my brother :
He worked for over 10 years in middle east with co's like aramco,Mcdermott & Shell.
He moved to canada for"the sake of children" 4 years ago.
He worked on pizza hut/walmart /tim horton..... for 2.5 years , as people over there told him that he either had to study over there or pass his exams of PE before he could get his licence to work as a engineer , only during last 6 months of his stay over there could he get a job as a technician ! Frustated he came back to middle east . Now he thinks it is better over here , he can provide for his kids better over here , also he can send his kids for higher edu where ever they want to go , and god know what the world will be like when his kids grow up.
Canada has the highest % of doctors working as cab drivers ! And they dont drive taxi's for fun !

But still , he advised me to apply , as i donot have a decent job/future over here.

So in my view , anyone who has nothing over here should go. But anyone in a decent job Should think hard before taking the plunge. Another rider is , if you have a canadian education then things are easier over there.

square111

Star Member
Jun 19, 2009
For those of us in the Old FSW Category who have waited 6-7 years, have only added 6-7 years to their age and are now seriously thinking as to whether this thing is worth it. Many were in their 30s at the time of application, are now in their 40s and beginning to lose interest as the mere thought of starting from scratch in a new country worries them, especially when they are taking their families along. You can manage a lot of things as a single person, but when you are with a family, it gets harder and harder.

COCOSTING

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
London
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys guys guys, I think everybody is getting everybody else wrong. lets not sling words at each other. I'll comment based on my understanding and my experience, hope I have got it right.

I truly understand how the author of this thread feels, I am in a similar position, if I may say.
I applied for Canada immigration about 6 years ago(you guys are lucky they take so little time now). They have NOW asked me for my passport. When I applied I was just starting my career in India, Luckily later I got some good breaks and was doing very well. I then got an opportunity to come to the UK and since I had no bloody clue what was going on with my Canada application I jumped in without bothering to consider the consequences. It was not easy at first but I managed, I am not doing as good as I was in India but doing ok. I went through hell to get my Visa extension because these guys keep changing the rules like crazy. I have sent my passport for stamping Canadian visa but I may never use it, not until I am forced to leave the UK(maybe not even then). You may ask, why bother. I have put in a lot of effort and shit loads of waiting so I want to keep my options open.

Frankly I am not very happy career wise here(UK), I could have done a LOT better back in India. You may ask me why you still here, my answer to that is ' I am not a quitter and I have put in huge efforts and sacrificed tons and I don't want to let it all go for a waste. Moreover, I have lost three years and if I go back to India I cant just pick up where I left off, I will have to struggle there as well, all my colleagues and juniors are far ahead of me and starting again is not a pleasant feeling.

My HONEST and sincere advice to all my friends out here is that, if you are career oriented and doing well where ever you are then stay put. If you have not been very lucky or you feel that you are ready to compromise on your career and are moving because of your families future or if you are absolutely certain that your skill will be valued in Canada or anywhere else the move by all means.

Even in that case, I would suggest that you take a long leave may be 6 months to a year(You can come up with reasons if you really try), go there and see how things are. You can always quit later.

I am not discouraging anyone, Canada is a great country and you guys will be very happy there if things fall in place. All I am saying is that ensure that you have all gaps covered and don't let your emotions/ glitz and glamour of the west affect your thinking in anyway.

Good luck to you all and God bless.

birdtocanada

Star Member
Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cocosting rightly said
We all in our 40s must definetly have hard time deciding whether to take the canadain green card or not

ME to when I applied I was anxious to get the PR when I got my passport request I am in jitters
I don't know Why - my subconscious mind always kees telling me you are earning nearly USD 7000/ per month in the middle east why leave the job for a place where you are not sure of a job till you get your degree or diploma matched with that of the canadian qualification most of the time with an examination

friends
If some one asks you to write grade 12 examination now I am sure most of us will fail - It does not mean we have not passed grade 12 - it is just we are tested for the fundamentals when we have forgot all about it!!!!!!!!!!
Dont think only Awarang is the only applicant in the boat most of us are in the same boat!!
Now I have decided to go get the PR and return - work here in the middle east if God forbid they kick me out of this JOb which rarley happens here I will jump at Canadian job market.

Lets see what the future holds

best of luck to all who are trying for PR

Let God guide us well - to those who have got the PR - passport request etc

tran

May 10, 2009
Best Places to Live: List of Countries for 2009 compiled by the United Nations 5th October 2009

Norway tops the study, which ranks countries on their education, infrastructure, wealth, social facilities and life expectancy, using figures compiled by the United Nations Development Programme. Australia moved up to No. 2 and Canada remain at no. 4. For the first time the USA slipped out of the top 10 and the United Kingdom out of the top 20! China moved up seven places on the list to rank as the 92nd most developed country due to improvements in education as well as income levels and life expectancy. Niger is the worst country to live in. Afghanistan, which returns to the list for the first time since 1996, is the only Asian country among the bottom ten.

The complete list of the best countries to live for the year 2009:

1.Norway
2.Australia
3.Iceland
4.Canada
5.Ireland
6.Netherlands
7.Sweden
8.France
9.Switzerland
10.Japan
11.Luxembourg
12.Finland
13.United States
14.Austria
15.Spain
16.Denmark
17.Belgium
18.Italy
19.Liechtenstein
20.New Zealand
21.United Kingdom
22.Germany
23.Singapore
24.Hong Kong, China (SAR)
25.Greece
26.Korea (Republic of)
27.Israel
28.Andorra
29.Slovenia
30.Brunei Darussalam
31.Kuwait
32.Cyprus
33.Qatar
34.Portugal
35.United Arab Emirates
36.Czech Republic
37.Barbados
38.Malta
39.Bahrain
40.Estonia
41.Poland
42.Slovakia
43.Hungary
44.Chile
45.Croatia
46.Lithuania
47.Antigua and Barbuda
48.Latvia
49.Argentina
50.Uruguay
51.Cuba
52.Bahamas
53.Mexico
54.Costa Rica
55.Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
56.Oman
57.Seychelles
58.Venezuela (Bolivarian Rupublic of)
59.Saudi Arabia
60.Panama
61.Bulgaria
62.Saint Kitts and Nevis
63.Romania
64.Trinidad and Tobago
65.Montenegro
66.Malaysia
67.Serbia
68.Belarus
69.Saint Lucia
70.Albania
71.Russian Federation
72.Macedonia (the former Yugoslav Republic of)
73.Dominica
74.Grenada
75.Brazil
76.Bosnia and Herzegovina
77.Colombia
78.Peru
79.Turkey
80.Ecuador
81.Mauritius
82.Kazakhstan
83.Lebanon
84.Armenia
85.Ukraine
86.Azerbaijan
87.Thailand
88.Iran (Islamic Republic of)
89.Georgia
90.Dominican Republic
91.Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
92.China
93.Belize
94.Samoa
95.Maldives
96.Jordan
97.Suriname
98.Tunisia
99.Tonga
100.Jamaica
101.Paraguay
102.Sri Lanka
103.Gabon
104.Algeria
105.Philippines
106.El Salvador
107.Syrian Arab Republic
108.Fiji
109.Turkmenistan
110.Occupied Palestinian Territories
111.Indonesia
112.Honduras
113.Bolivia
114.Guyana
115.Mongolia
116.Viet Nam
117.Moldova
118.Equatorial Guinea
119.Uzbekistan
120.Kyrgyzstan
121.Cape Verde
122.Guatemala
123.Egypt
124.Nicaragua
125.Botswana
126.Vanuatu
127.Tajikistan
128.Namibia
129.South Africa
130.Morocco
131.São Tomé and Principe
132.Bhutan
133.Lao, People's Dem. Rep.
134.India
135.Solomon Islands
136.Congo
137.Cambodia
138.Myanmar
139.Comoros
140.Yemen
141.Pakistan
142.Swaziland
143.Angola
144.Nepal
145.Madagascar
146.Bangladesh
147.Kenya
148.Papua New Guinea
149.Haiti
150.Sudan
151.Tanzania, U. Rep. of
152.Ghana
153.Cameroon
154.Mauritania
155.Djibouti
156.Lesotho
157.Uganda
158.Nigeria
159.Togo
160.Malawi
161.Benin
162.Timor-Leste
163.Côte d'Ivoire
164.Zambia
165.Eritrea
166.Senegal
167.Rwanda
168.Gambia
169.Liberia
170.Guinea
171.Ethiopia
172.Mozambique
173.Guinea-Bissau
174.Burundi
175.Chad
176.Congo (Democratic Republic of the)
177.Burkina Faso
178.Mali
179.Central African Republic
180.Sierra Leone
181.Afghanistan
182.Niger

If your country is a better place to live in than Canada, then stay put.

COCOSTING

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
London
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Tran,

I really appreciate the information but I am afraid these statistics are a very broad classification. If you are in a good paying IT job in India, for example, you are better off than 95% of the population. These statistics are nice to know but would not amount to much else in the real world.

I am also doubtfully of the authenticity of this survey or classification. I may very well be wrong but this is what I think.

A country like USA being higher that some of the European countries like UK and France is really surprising. USA has the highest gun crime, highest number of deaths in traffic accidents, very expensive healthcare, little or no amount of welfare benefits to its citizens besides others. In France and UK for example your health care is absolutely free, you get unemployment benefits, housing benefits, childcare benefits, disability benefits besides may others.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have been watching this thread for some time and must confess that I fully agree with COCOSTING'S views and reason's.
And for all, believe me, "Home is actually where you make it - Home".

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can understand the anxiety on making the move to Canada. I'm Canadian and have been an ex-pat working and doing business in Asia for about 20 years, and will move back to Canada soon. I doubt that i will find a job that can pay me what I can make here in Canada, at least in the first few years. I have money saved up but know that can quicky be eaten up if I'm not working. I will take on almost any job as I know that once I'm working things will fall in place. it will be a little easier for me than for most of you. Some of you will fail but most will do well.

When my father who immigrated to Canada as an engineer back in 1950, he spent his first year in Toronto but in order to move up he spent 20 years moving through Canada and working in Sarnia, Sudbury, Thompson, Fort McMurray, Edmonton and Calgary. He had to go where the work was, and for him it wasn't very pleasant.

When you are not white, and have a non Canadian, American or British education, you are at a disadvantage, it's true. However, once you make it to one stage, things usually do fall in place. It won't be easy for most of you, but things do have there way of falling in place.

Be prepared, and things will work out fine.

Best of luck to all of you, and always remember to help and guide others.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Nicholas,
I fully agree with your statement, " if your are not white and do not have education of the mentioned countries" you will not find it easy. Yes in China it was always advertised in job adverts, that you must be white and must be a holder of British, Canada or American passport. So what must the blacks do then with their color of skin?. Anyway i am sure i can succeed anywhere no matter the color of my skin. I am proud to be African.

Anyway thanks Nicholas for your sincere comments.

Canadaforall.

boss2009

Star Member
Oct 17, 2009
Just saw that list , ha!

Would a shop floor worker in canada have a better life than bill gates or warren buffet , just because he come from no 4 country and those guys from no 13 country in that list !!

The kind of life you lead depends on the kind of money you make , your job......, canada is a beautiful country , but is it easy to get the job you are looking for ...

You know , all this thing about " canadian standards " is all nonsense , it is just a way of keeping people out of the particular professions by people who are already in the system , but they have been successfull till now and we dont see things change soon , maybe things will change 20 years from now....

What is the point in calling a doctor/engineer/lawyer to canada and tell him that we dont recoganize your degrees...

The canadian govt is trying to do a good job by getting people in so that the demographic profile does not get older by the day , it is faced with a ageing population like many other developed countries and it needs young people to pay for the social security of its fast ageing population ( japan has 3.6 young people per one old person (above 65 years ) now and this will decrease to 1.2 young people per old person by 2050 unless they let people in via immigration sooner or later) , so MANY developed countries are in the process of firming up immigration programes...

But the unfortunate thing is that smart people who are in good jobs in these countries and control the system will not let you get good jobs so easily. They just want you to come in , start working on low paying jobs , pay taxes so that the social security system does not collapse and keep slogging slowly up.... but again it is not a bad deal for person who does not have anything back home
but someone in good job , feels bad when he starts to see thru the system