+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth it?

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
2008 is the priority date. He is been here since 2005 i meant. He might have never thought in his dream about this rule of his daughter becoming 21 and will have to move out of dependent.

"waiting for GC for past 12 years"

How is that even possible? The current priority date for EB3 India is Ooctober 2006 and 2008 for EB2. Assuming he filed in 2005, he should be current by now.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
I moved to Canada for good after being a PR for 10 years. Took a decent pay cut. Still go to the US a few times a year to shop since the same things are a whole lot more expensive. I also moved when wife was pregnant and paid for the pregnancy and delivery out of pocket. I proudly identify myself as a Canadian - that's what counts!

No one cares about the goods. Customs cracked a few jokes when we finally moved our stuff after many years.

Taxes you gotta live with.

If you dreamt of being an American, don't move here. If Canada is your compromise, you will never be happy here.
How did you keep the PR for 10 years without moving to Canada? I thought you had to stay there for 3 out of 5 years to maintain it.
Also has anyone been in a situation where you did not get the list of goods to follow stamped during soft landing?
I did soft landing from US in October but at the time they did not stamp my list of goods because i did not have appraisal for jewelry. They said i have upto a year to prepare a new list with the appraisal docs and get it submitted. However i can't find anything online to "submit" a new list.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
As per my understanding one is not required to submit Goods to Follow list during Soft landing. It is required only when you move to Canada with an intention of "Settling" down for a period more than 12 months.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html
But how would you be able to bring this up to CBSA next time?

Also I have seen CBSA giving hard time to people on this jewelry appraisal thing only by road. I know people who were left in at Toronto airport without any questions asked with just pictures of the jewelry.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
But how would you be able to bring this up to CBSA next time?

Also I have seen CBSA giving hard time to people on this jewelry appraisal thing only by road. I know people who were left in at Toronto airport without any questions asked with just pictures of the jewelry.
I plan to keep a print out of the memorandum with me to show to CBSA officers at the time of soft landing and hard landing.

I had moved jewellery to Canada once ( and brought it back to USA later) when I went on temporary work permit. CBSA officers did not ask me for jewellery appraisal at that time. Anyways, I am not worried about it this time as I am only doing soft landing.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I plan to keep a print out of the memorandum with me to show to CBSA officers at the time of soft landing and hard landing.

I had moved jewellery to Canada once ( and brought it back to USA later) when I went on temporary work permit. CBSA officers did not ask me for jewellery appraisal at that time. Anyways, I am not worried about it this time as I am only doing soft landing.
So in this case, you qualify for 'settler' category when you move for good?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I sent an email to contact@cbsa.gc.ca with following text:

"Hello CBSA Officers,

I was just granted PR of Canada. I plan to come to Canada for a day to finish landing formalities and then return to my current place of residence to wrap things up.

Do I still need to submit “Goods to follow” list during this trip even though I do not plan to settle down in Canada in this trip?

Thanks!!"

Received copy+paste/generic reply from CBSA-ASFC.CONTACT@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca after 4.5 hours :

"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months. Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 or BSF186 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency."

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I sent an email to contact@cbsa.gc.ca with following text:

"Hello CBSA Officers,

I was just granted PR of Canada. I plan to come to Canada for a day to finish landing formalities and then return to my current place of residence to wrap things up.

Do I still need to submit “Goods to follow” list during this trip even though I do not plan to settle down in Canada in this trip?

Thanks!!"

Received copy+paste/generic reply from CBSA-ASFC.CONTACT@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca after 4.5 hours :

"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months. Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 or BSF186 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency."
Thanks for this.

so what happens if someone gets the goods to follow signed during soft landing? Are they not allowed to bring more items when they come back in future? Or they can keep the goods to follow list given during soft landing and list other new items that were bought after soft landing in good accompanying list during permanent move aka while coming in as settler?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
H4 EAD is ending. Another good reason to move out of US if someone has a spouse employed in white collar profession. More rules published on making H1 stricter too.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Do you have any web links on this?
I am surprised that you aren't aware of this! It is in Federal register already. Final rule will be published in Feb 2018, and EAD will be eventually rescinded middle of next year after comment period etc. Several changes to H1 is also coming...

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AC15

H1 rules:

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AC13
https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AB68
https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AB71

Interpretation of that from an attorney.. many other law firms and mainstream media like WSJ, CNN already published articles on this too.

http://immigrationgirl.com/uscis-releases-agenda-for-upcoming-regulatory-changes-h-4-ead-and-h-1b-changes-expected/

They are going to screw OPT too. There is a rule to make 24 months back to 17 months, and make it much more stricter.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I am surprised that you aren't aware of this! It is in Federal register already. Final rule will be published in Feb 2018, and EAD will be eventually rescinded middle of next year after comment period etc. Several changes to H1 is also coming...

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AC15

H1 rules:

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AC13
https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AB68
https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1615-AB71

Interpretation of that from an attorney.. many other law firms and mainstream media like WSJ, CNN already published articles on this too.

http://immigrationgirl.com/uscis-releases-agenda-for-upcoming-regulatory-changes-h-4-ead-and-h-1b-changes-expected/

They are going to screw OPT too. There is a rule to make 24 months back to 17 months, and make it much more stricter.
Thanks for sharing. I was aware of H4-might-be-rescinded news but was not aware of any H1 related changes. H1 related changes looks minor.