+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it mandatory for visitors to Canada to have travel medical insurance?

SZ84

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-OCT-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
17-Dec-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-Jan-2015
Med's Request
29-July-2015
Med's Done....
28-August-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-NOV-2015
LANDED..........
08-March-2016
Good day everyone,

I need to know that is it mandatory for visitors to Canada to have travel medical insurance before they can travel to Canada ?
My mother already got visitor visa (TRV Visa) to Canada and she will be traveling in next couple of days but she does not have a travel medical insurance curently so if it is mandatory to have travel medical insurance then I will apply for her before she arrives here in order to avoid any issues at the port of entry (Calgary).

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
No, it is not mandatory to have a travel medical insurance policy if your mom has a TRV..... having stated this, it is a good idea to buy one

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
SZ84 said:
Good day everyone,

I need to know that is it mandatory for visitors to Canada to have travel medical insurance before they can travel to Canada ?
My mother already got visitor visa (TRV Visa) to Canada and she will be traveling in next couple of days but she does not have a travel medical insurance curently so if it is mandatory to have travel medical insurance then I will apply for her before she arrives here in order to avoid any issues at the port of entry (Calgary).
No, medical insurance is only mandatory for the supervisa and not for regular TRV's.

SZ84

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-OCT-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
17-Dec-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-Jan-2015
Med's Request
29-July-2015
Med's Done....
28-August-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-NOV-2015
LANDED..........
08-March-2016
Thanks a lot Bryanna & torontosm for clarifying this one.

I have already visited a insurance agent to get a medical insurance plan for my mother but the agent told me that my mother has to be in Canada in Order for me to get a medical insurance plan for her.
But today I got confused by a friend who told me today that it is mendatory to have travel medical insurance before entering canada which had me worried because my initial plan was to get it done once my mother arrives here.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
SZ84 said:
Thanks a lot Bryanna & torontosm for clarifying this one.

I have already visited a insurance agent to get a medical insurance plan for my mother but the agent told me that my mother has to be in Canada in Order for me to get a medical insurance plan for her.
But today I got confused by a friend who told me today that it is mendatory to have travel medical insurance before entering canada which had me worried because my initial plan was to get it done once my mother arrives here.
If you are interested in obtaining health insurance, you can certainly purchase it without your mother being in Canada. I've used BestQuote before and the process is pretty straightforward.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
torontosm said:
If you are interested in obtaining health insurance, you can certainly purchase it without your mother being in Canada. I've used BestQuote before and the process is pretty straightforward.
as i have said to other people here buying insurance onshore is fine but what if the worst happened and your mother needed to be repatriated to home country ? Thats want travel insurance bought in home country covers not just medical emergencies but medical repatriation.

genever

Oct 14, 2013
i applied for tourist visa for my wife and my daughter i just wanted to know if it is mandatory to get travel insurance before they come here or can i do that later after they land here?what documents thet needed at port of entry?i applied last week and got approval today

Alexibra111

Dec 19, 2016
i applied for tourist visa for my wife and my daughter i just wanted to know if it is mandatory to get travel insurance before they come here or can i do that later after they land here?what documents thet needed at port of entry?i applied last week and got approval today
Being a visitor to any country in the world you should have travel insurance. When my girlfriend came to Canada I purchased her travel insurance before her arrival to Canada. The travel insurance is not very expensive. It is probably a good idea to have when they come to the port of entry.