+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is indian drivers license valid in canda

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
is indian drivers license valid in canada ?
is international drivers license valid in canada ???
if so for how many years ??? r we able to get insurance on a car with international license??
how do we exchange international license for canadian license??
any experiences for receiving alberta driver's license welcome too
thanks

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jckdry said:
is indian drivers license valid in canada ?
is international drivers license valid in canada ???
if so for how many years ??? r we able to get insurance on a car with international license??
how do we exchange international license for canadian license??
any experiences for receiving alberta driver's license welcome too
thanks
If you are a Tourist then it is valid and if an immigrant then its not.

Reactions: hiral_thakkar

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Each province has their own rules for which drivers licenses they will exchange but usually India is not one of the countries they have an agreement with. That means you will need to take the driving test in Canada. It is not a big deal but you may need to bring a letter from your driving authority in India stating how long you have been driving as well as you need a translation of your drivers license or an international one.

The letter for how long you have been driving is because most provinces in Canada have a graduated drivers license system, that is, they will not give you a full drivers license right away if you are a new driver so it's your job to prove that you are not a new driver.

The translation of your license or international license is to prove to them that what you are giving them is actually a drivers license from your home country and not some other form of ID.

S

shibuya

Re: is dubai drivers license valid in canda

Leon,
is dubai licence valid in canada

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the input
Is going there with international license advantageous vs going there with indian driver's license - translated in english ????
In India they charge 1700 rs for indian license and if u want international license it is 3200 rs
So I am doubting which one is better to get before coming to Canada as currently we have motorcycle license in India only
And for a family of 3 people - if international license is not required it saves 4500 rs
I understand we have to take driver's license test in canada irregardless of which one we have
Also, this is after immigration and not as a visitor
Thanks alot to everyone for input

nimmiboy

Apr 22, 2005
Riyadh - KSA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: is dubai drivers license valid in canda

shibuya said:
Leon,
is dubai licence valid in canada
Quoted from : http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/dubai-applicants-lets-network-get-connected-t29519.0.html;msg175801#msg175801

DUBAI RESIDENTS : HOW TO OBTAIN ONTARIO DRIVING LICENSE WITH OUR UAE LICENSE

Dear All,

Unfortunately UAE doesn't have a Reciprocal1 licence exchange agreement with Ontario. Thus, we cannot Swap our Dubai D/License to get a Toronto D/License.
Reciprocal1 License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

But, in that case do we have to start all over again ?

No.
We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

FIRSTLY:
1. Take a 'Letter of Authentication' (in English) from RTA, Dubai stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country/ies.
2. Take a 'True Translation Copy' (in English) of our Driving License from RTA, Dubai.
3. Both of the above can be combined in one letter.
4. Or obtain an International Driving License* from 'Arabian Automobiles Association' or 'Emirates Driving Institute'.
*This is nothing but a translated copy of our UAE driving license. (it can be used in lieu of the item stated in point-2 above).

With the foregoing, we can drive a car in Toronto for three (3) months (only). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. The procedure of which is given at: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx As well as I am listing below.

SECONDLY:
We are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G1 stage and get a G2 driving license with our 24 Months letter:

-All applicants for an Ontario driver's licence are required to;
-1. present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator);
-2. pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules;
-3. pay all applicable fees;
-4. Provide acceptable proof of identity.

-Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. (However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case you get the G1* license only.

THIRDLY:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,
-We can attempt the G2**Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
-Upon successfully passing the G2 Exit Road Test, we get the G2 license.
-After 3-4 moths of driving under G2 we will be issued a G*** licence.
-If applicants do not provide a letter of authentication, applicants must pass the G1 road test and must fulfill the 12-month waiting period prior to taking G2 road test.

*G1 licence has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada.
**G2 license is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
***G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So are you considering taking the full license in India or you are planning on continuing with a motorcycle license only? I am not 100% sure how that works. Generally people in Canada first take a drivers license before getting a motorcycle license.

The problem if you show up in Canada with a brand new license to drive a car from another country, it will not really get you anything, you would still have to start from scratch in Canada. Most provinces in Canada make you wait for a year between getting your learners license to getting a license you can actually drive with. Some provinces will shorten if if you take driving school but that will cost you a few hundred $.

Which province are you planning on going to? I can give you some links to their drivers license bureau if you want.

If you can get your full license at least a year before moving to Canada, it will help you in avoiding this waiting period between learners and first graduated license.

shibuya: Most countries drivers licenses are valid in Canada if you are a tourist but if you are immigrating, you have 2-3 months to get yourself a Canadian license. As far as I know, no provinces have agreements with Dubai or India. Usually, it's the US, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Japan, S-Korea and sometimes France, Belgium and the UK as well. If you have a license from one of those countries, you can exchange it for a Canadian one. If you don't, you will have to take the test in Canada. If you can prove you have a foreign license (with a translation or international license) and you can prove that you are not a new driver (letter of driving history from the traffic authority in your home country), they will let you bypass the graduated system and test for a full license or at least a preliminary license. If you have no such proof, they will treat you like a new driver.

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
I have been driving in the US for little more than a year, I see that you say there is a 24 month requirement, prior to driving in US I have driven in India for like 3 years.

Would I have to start from scratch :eek:

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
Does Alberta allow you to drive for 12 months with international license and your country license???
I came to it through this website
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm
Unlike Ontario which requires experience of 24 months n more stuffs
Please correct me if I am wrong

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rk2009 said:
I have been driving in the US for little more than a year, I see that you say there is a 24 month requirement, prior to driving in US I have driven in India for like 3 years.

Would I have to start from scratch :eek:
Do you have a full US drivers license? If you do, you can simply exchange it for a Canadian license, no problem.

jckdry said:
Does Alberta allow you to drive for 12 months with international license and your country license???
I came to it through this website
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm
Unlike Ontario which requires experience of 24 months n more stuffs
Please correct me if I am wrong
From this page: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm#Residency_Requirements_for_Operators_Licence

# If you are a new resident in Alberta, you must obtain an Alberta driver’s licence within 90 days of moving to the province, regardless of whether you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days

# If you are visiting Alberta from outside Canada and using an International Driving Permit (IDP), you may drive in Alberta for up to 12 months using the IDP in conjunction with your valid home jurisdiction licence
So it depends on whether you are immigrating or visiting. The Alberta graduated drivers license program is similar to the one in Ontario. As a new driver, you start with a written test which gives you a learner license which allows you to only drive with another person with you who has a full license. After a year, you can take the basic road test and get your first preliminary license called a GDL license. It is almost as good as a full license. After 2 years of driving on a GDL license, you can take the advanced road test and get a full license. With a foreign license and either translation or international license to prove that it is indeed a drivers license and not a library card or something else, then you can skip over the year on learners permit and take the basic road test right away and get your GDL license. If you have 2 years or more driving experience and can prove it, you can also skip over the GDL stage and take the advanced road test and get a full license right away.

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
Yes I have a license valid till 2011. When you say exchange, do they keep the US license?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rk2009 said:
Yes I have a license valid till 2011. When you say exchange, do they keep the US license?
Yes, they usually do. You can ask if you can keep it, sometimes they allow it. They just don't like you to have two valid licenses. If you are planning on living 6 months in each country, you can tell them that you will need both. If you are not but you are planning on moving back to the US at some point in the future, you can easily exchange your Canadian license for a US license and in the US, maybe they will allow you to keep the Canadian one too.

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
Leon - u r great
That is such a simplified explaination, now I understand how it would work
I have different family members with license from India and US
So,
- one who has indian license and international license will drive upto 90 days with it when they reach Alberta
- Within this 90 days - We will submit them and they will be able to prove it is indeed a license and we can apply for GDL license directly ( as long as we clear the road test), So in Alberta we do not have to wait at all until we can drive independently ( without a full licensed driver by our side)
- For other family member with US driver's license and 2 years experience - just walk in and exchange or full license

Corrct me if I am wrong
Great input - u saved my visit to drivers office ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only point for the person who has a foreign license and needs to turn it in and take the test, there might be about 2 weeks that they can't drive. This is the time it takes for the registry where they hand in their Indian license to send it to the Alberta government and for the Alberta government to say it's ok for them to take the road test. If two people in that position happen to be a couple or cousins or something, it would not be a bad idea for them to do this at different times so one can always drive and they can give each other rides.

Taking the test in Alberta is not a big deal. You can download the book at http://transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm and walk into any registry and take the written test the same day. If you pass, you can then turn in the Indian license and get a learners license. After they have the ok for you to take the road test, you can book the road test at any registry, bring your own car and do your best to pass. Actually, it's not hard, just make sure you signal and drive carefully and shoulder check.

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
Thanks Leon u r the man
We can even take test in hindi - sounds good for some family members
Only one question - R international driving permit and indian driver's license with microchip - treated the same way ???
If they r same then there is no point paying 4500 Rs extra to get international driving permit in India, as an indian license would suffice in Alberta for first 90 days and applying for learners license
ie. In Alberta - an indian license = international driving permit
So, no need to get an international driving permit in India if we have valid indian driving license with microchip and driving records
All the process sounds crystal clear tho