+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada police certificate required when applying PR in Canada

fishfans

Jan 1, 2009
Hi all,

I am just wondering if Canada police certificate is required when applying PR (under FSW and CEC) in Canada. I have been in Canada for 8 years as a student. I will submit the police certificate from my home country for sure, but not sure about the Canada one. This is what it says on the CIC website:

"How to obtain a police certificate
Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed."

Seems like I do not need to submit it when I submit the application and only need to submit it when I am asked to. Any thoughts? Thanks.

canadiannoor

Nov 20, 2009
You do not have to submit Canadian Police clearance certificate.
You are required to submit Police clearance certificates from all countries where you have resided for six months or more after completing
18years of age.

fishfans

Jan 1, 2009
Hi, will I be asked to submit the Canadian police certificate during my PR application? I do not want to wait, that is why if I need to submit it sooner or later, I will simply submit it along with my application. Thank you.

MSMirza

Oct 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
.. waiting .. & .. waiting ..
It is not mandatory !! but there is nothing wrong in sending documents to clear your picture ..

fishfans said:
Hi, will I be asked to submit the Canadian police certificate during my PR application? I do not want to wait, that is why if I need to submit it sooner or later, I will simply submit it along with my application. Thank you.

fishfans

Jan 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Anyone know if I need a fingerprint police certificate? Or a one without fingerprint obtained at a local office should be ok? If anyone knows in what case a fingerprint version police certificate is required, please share. Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fishfans said:
Thanks for the reply. Anyone know if I need a fingerprint police certificate? Or a one without fingerprint obtained at a local office should be ok? If anyone knows in what case a fingerprint version police certificate is required, please share. Thank you.
For Canada, it is fingerprints. I don't know why you bother, though. CIC/CHC does a name check, and only if there is a person with a similar name age, will they request a Police Certificate. If it is requested, you can get the results in 72 hours by using one of the digital print providers. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob116.asp

PMM

fishfans

Jan 1, 2009
Hi PMM, thanks for the reply. Just want to confirm with you, if your name is unique and no one else has a similar name, a police certificate is probably not required from Canada. Is that right?

TbilisiAnkara

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You quoted it yourself from the CIC Web Site:
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed."
What kind of a more straightforward answer are you looking for????
You are told clearly not to do it. If you still wanna do it, go for it. Get it three times, if you want, from 3 different agencies. You gonna feel busy and won't have time to be nervous ;)

fishfans said:
Hi PMM, thanks for the reply. Just want to confirm with you, if your name is unique and no one else has a similar name, a police certificate is probably not required from Canada. Is that right?

Retrograde

Aug 15, 2010
Please!!!! URGENT help needed,

I am from Pakistan and my Canadian Immigration is in process for since September last year (Full documents sent in Nov 2009). I arrived in New York, USA in Nov 2009 on official assignment (G4 Temporary resident visa) with my family (Wife + 6 year old child). As I understand I needa police clearance certificate from US as I have been in NY for over 6 months. Please confirm the following:

1. Do In need to submit an FBI clearance for myself and wife. Should we fill out the relevent form for each of us and sign them separately?

2. I need to have local New York police clearance certificate well?

3. My wife does not have a Social Security Number, whereas I do, will this be any problem with the FBI clerance process as its form as a mandatory field for SSN