+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is BC so bad to work & live

a0

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This thread was started in 2010, so can anyone tell me please if the situation has changed since then?
I'm about to start looking for a job in Vancouver/Burnaby/New Westminster/Surrey/Langley and I'm really worried that finding it might not be easy.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
hahah so i landed here three years ago and its just fine.
Not as many jobs in manufacturing but the hospitality and service industry is thriving here..
Cost of living in vancouver is high but you can easily find cheap rentals in suburbs like surrey and langley

a0

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you

And just as you said, Surrey and Langley are our only hope to find something affordable :(

Highlyfavoured1

Nov 7, 2014
Hello great People

I plan to Land in BC, but have read several time online that it is very expensive and there are no jobs, so I was wondering what BC is like for a single new Immigrant and what would the cost of living be on a monthly basis, what short courses or programs say for 3months or 6months max can one attend to get a diploma? What survival jobs is available?.

Apart from Surrey and Langley what other part of Vancouver preferably in the SW will be safe affordable for one person??

kindly assist with this request.

thanks

blueray333

Jul 14, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2010
Doc's Request.
inc. in app.
AOR Received.
25-11-2010
IELTS Request
inc. in app.
File Transfer...
25-11-2010
Med's Request
07-02-2011
Med's Done....
12-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2011
I'm currently living in BC with my family and planning to move out. I can say that BC has jobs, but those jobs are not in-line with the cost of living. High rent, expensive houses, MSP premium payment (BC is the only province that charges a premium for MSP), gas prices are high, people are now becoming more money centric. On the upside, weather is nice, but hydro is getting expensive. BC is also within the ring of fire.

Le Tachaque

Jan 15, 2016
BC is the best place to live in Canada IF warmer weather is all you care about. In any other case, stay away. Jobs are very scarce outside the service industry, and those service industry jobs often do not pay well. The relatively pleasant parts of BC (Vancouver and Victoria) are very expensive, and the rest mostly sucks for a variety of reasons. And when you say BC, you need a pretty good definition of where in BC, because Prince George and Burnaby have hardly anything in common.