+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRS Fail ( DUI Alberta) and Permanant residance application

snowtales07

Apr 7, 2024
I received an immediate roadside sanction for IRS Fail for Impaired driving over the limit ( over 0.08 BAC). I did not hurt anybody nor was I involved in an accident.
The officer on scene along with some lawyers I spoke to confirmed for first time offence it is 100% NOT a criminal charge and does not go on your criminal record in Alberta, Canada .They gave me an administrative penalty ( harsh consequences, I deserve it) under the Traffic safety Act.
since it is not a criminal record, will it affect my application for Permanent Residence ? I am holding a work permit now.
I am not sure under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Section 36.2.d, if the offence itself ( impaired driving over 0.08 ) is grounds for inadmissibility even if someone is not charged or convicted under the Criminal code ? Maybe because the offence itself is considered indictable under an act of parliament.
Should I apply for Permanent Residence tick no to criminal conviction and see what happens ?
If the RCMP criminal check shows clear, it would not count as misrepresentation since I would already submit a police clearance with my application.
I don't expect sympathy; I understand the gravity of my actions and take full responsibility. I'm grappling with the consequences and the impact on my life, expressing sincere remorse for letting myself, my parents, and others down.
I would like your thoughts on this and see if you can help my case in any way.
Thank you