+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Irish Electrician 7241 - EE 'level of education'

tobacco123

Aug 8, 2016
Hi,

I am completing my express entry profile to apply for PR. I am a fully qualified Irish electrician (FAS apprenticeship - FETAC level 6).

My trade was recognised by the Ontario College of Trades and I got my Journeyman electrician 309A construction and maintenance licence - NOC 7241.

I'm not sure what 'level of education' to select on the express entry forms. For now I've selected #2 below and I'm getting 90 points for it.

1. Secondary diploma (high school graduation)
2. One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
3. Two-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
4. Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Also, is the CofQ considered an ECA. Should I get an ECA and if so, who is the best to get it from.

Any help would be appreciated

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know much about trades, and I'm not certain exactly what a CofQ is (Certificate of Qualification ?).

But in order for your education to be counted, your ECA needs to be done by one of the following services (listed here, with links to each: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp):
- Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
- World Education Services
- International Qualifications Assessment Service
- International Credential Evaluation Service
- Medical Council of Canada (professional body for Doctors)
- Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (professional body for Pharmacists)

I've had a quick browse through the links of the first 5 (as the last 2 obviously don't apply to this situation), and I think that they all only assess academic qualifications (ie. not trade certificates).

I suggest you go through the links yourself, and have a more thorough check. Perhaps even contact the organisations and ask them.

tobacco123

Aug 8, 2016
Thanks. Yeah, CofQ is Certificate of Qualification. I was awarded it after passing the RedSeal exam. I had checked out those links but most don't handle skilled trade education, but I can call to check.

Liam88

Mar 27, 2015
I had my Irish Trade certificate evaluated by ICAS(the ONLY approved organization to evaluate trades by CIC)...as in if you want to get an ECA for your trade it has to be through ICAS. WES returned my application package saying they don't evaluate trades. Average processing time with ICAS is 6 months, mine took 6 months and 2 weeks.

And ICAS evaluated my FETAC Level 6 trade to be equivalent to #2 on your list so it's correct that you can claim no more than 90 points. Obviously you will need the ICAS report to gain those 90 points in your PR application though. Having your red seal here should give you an additional 50 points also.

andy108

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
**-09-2017
Yep, as far as I know ICAS is the only body that asseses trades.

willi

May 26, 2015
If you have certificate of qualification then you do not need ECA because you qualify to apply under federal skill Trade which is far simple than federal skill worker. So my friend with your certificate of qualification you are good to go without ECA so just apply directly through express entry and you will be placed under Federal Skill Trade.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
willi said:
If you have certificate of qualification then you do not need ECA because you qualify to apply under federal skill Trade which is far simple than federal skill worker. So my friend with your certificate of qualification you are good to go without ECA so just apply directly through express entry and you will be placed under Federal Skill Trade.
CIC says:
"There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need:

a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree
OR

a completed foreign credential, and
an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC."

I'm sure OP is aware that it isn't essential, but wants the extra points.

tobacco123

Aug 8, 2016
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Once more:

Does a CofQ count as a "Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree"?

Level of education, I selected (this response is based on my apprenticeship from Ireland):
One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Was AA awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study?
I selected 'YES' - because of the Canadian CofQ I was awarded for my trade.

So I got 90 points for 'Level of Education'. What's confusing is that I'm getting the 90pts but do not have an ECA to back it up. So do I have to wait until I have the ECA to make a valid submission. As in, I think my points total of 448 is incorrect because it includes the below.

CRS - Human Capital - Level of Education = 90pts
CRS - Skill Transferability - Education = 26pts
CRS - Skill Transferability - Certificate of Qualification = 50pts

FSTP, CEC, FSWP - All 'MET'

Thanks. I'm going to ask my company for an LMIA but that is unlikely.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tobacco123 said:

Does a CofQ count as a "Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree"?

Level of education, I selected (this response is based on my apprenticeship from Ireland):
One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Was AA awarded a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate for this period of study?

So I got 90 points for 'Level of Education'. What's confusing is that I'm getting the 90pts but do not have an ECA to back it up. So do I have to wait until I have the ECA to make a valid submission. As in, I think my points total of 448 is incorrect because it includes the below.

If the qualification was awarded in Canada, you don't need an ECA.

FROST4190

Nov 15, 2016
willi said:
Hello,
Please I really want to know CoQ level of education on EE. thank you

FROST4190

Nov 15, 2016
tobacco123 said:

Hi, I'm having the problem too. Red seal and I don't if it count. please let me know if you get answers.

loz1993

Aug 19, 2018
Did anyone find out if you can count a CoQ Red Seal on express entry?

I am the main applicant, and my partner is about to sit his red seal exam. I need to know if the Canadian certificate of qualification counts as a level of education in Express Entry (CRS points)?

loz1993

Aug 19, 2018
Hi,

I am completing my express entry profile to apply for PR. I am a fully qualified Irish electrician (FAS apprenticeship - FETAC level 6).

My trade was recognised by the Ontario College of Trades and I got my Journeyman electrician 309A construction and maintenance licence - NOC 7241.

I'm not sure what 'level of education' to select on the express entry forms. For now I've selected #2 below and I'm getting 90 points for it.

1. Secondary diploma (high school graduation)
2. One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
3. Two-year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
4. Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Also, is the CofQ considered an ECA. Should I get an ECA and if so, who is the best to get it from.

Any help would be appreciated

Did you find out an answer? Two years laters and there still no straight forward answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!