+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC requesting biometrics fee for study permit extension???

May 1, 2023
Hello, Everyone,

I am an international student who is currently in Canada. I applied for a study permit extension in January as my passport and other documents were set to expire in March (they are expired now). Since then, IRCC has not updated my application. I did, however, send a webform to correct a small issue with my name (my mistake). Today, I saw an update requesting an $85 biometric fee which is to be paid by March 26th.

In 2020, I paid for and completed my biometrics. No fee was asked for when I originally applied for my study permit last year and it should be valid for 10 years. Any advise on how to move forward would be great.

May 1, 2023
Since I've gotten no replies, I went ahead and contacted IRCC. It wasn't as long a wait as I'd expected and I spoke to an agent. He said I would need to make the payment and wait for biometric instructions which makes no sense since I have a letter stating my biometrics are valid until 2031. He didn't seem to know much else so I'll see where this goes and update this thread for anyone else with this issue.