+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inviting mother and grandmother on a visit .

Subysubhana

Mar 17, 2018
Hi everyone! I am a Canadian citizen hoping to invite my mother (64) and grandmother (90) on a visit to Canada during summer from sri lanka.I would like them to stay for 2 or 3 months. Both my mother and grandmother are retired teachers and they have a monthly pension. My mother has a bank account which she has more than 10,000 cad to show. Both of them are in good health and able to travel. I will be giving them an invitation letter stating that they will be staying with me and I will provide for accommodation / food and travel expenses. My mother gives English tuition for college students and also she has the power of Attorney of my sister's house as well. They have no intention of staying in Canada ..I would just like them to come and have a holiday with me and my kids and husband. Please advice as to what documents I should provide and how I can prove that they have no intention of over staying. ps: super visa is not an option as I don't work at the moment and my husband's income does not qualify for the income cut off.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi everyone! I am a Canadian citizen hoping to invite my mother (64) and grandmother (90) on a visit to Canada during summer from sri lanka.I would like them to stay for 2 or 3 months. Both my mother and grandmother are retired teachers and they have a monthly pension. My mother has a bank account which she has more than 10,000 cad to show. Both of them are in good health and able to travel. I will be giving them an invitation letter stating that they will be staying with me and I will provide for accommodation / food and travel expenses. My mother gives English tuition for college students and also she has the power of Attorney of my sister's house as well. They have no intention of staying in Canada ..I would just like them to come and have a holiday with me and my kids and husband. Please advice as to what documents I should provide and how I can prove that they have no intention of over staying. ps: super visa is not an option as I don't work at the moment and my husband's income does not qualify for the income cut off.
Based on your post, the chances of approval for both of them, especially your grandmom, IMO, are quite low.

1. Have they visited any other visa-required countries in the last 10 years?
2. Does your mom or grandmom own property or land?
3. Do they live at the same address?
4. Do they live with other dependent family members?
5. What is the purpose of their visit?
6. BTW stating a visit of 2 or 3 months is a not a good idea. In your letter/their documents the visit cannot be open dated.... and it should be max to 3-4 weeks
7. Do they need to return to renew their pension on an annual basis?
8. Can your mom prove that she gives English tuition? Payment receipts or paid by cheques? Does she teach at an institute? Would she visit during the college/school break?
9. Does your sister live in Sri Lanka?

Subysubhana

Mar 17, 2018
Based on your post, the chances of approval for both of them, especially your grandmom, IMO, are quite low.

1. Have they visited any other visa-required countries in the last 10 years?
2. Does your mom or grandmom own property or land?
3. Do they live at the same address?
4. Do they live with other dependent family members?
5. What is the purpose of their visit?
6. BTW stating a visit of 2 or 3 months is a not a good idea. In your letter/their documents the visit cannot be open dated.... and it should be max to 3-4 weeks
7. Do they need to return to renew their pension on an annual basis?
8. Can your mom prove that she gives English tuition? Payment receipts or paid by cheques? Does she teach at an institute? Would she visit during the college/school break?
9. Does your sister live in Sri Lanka?
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1) my mother has travelled for a holiday to uae in 2007 to visit my sister who lives there .
2) no they do not have property under their names
3) yes they do live under the same address. My grandmother is being taken care of my mother solely as she doesn't have any blood relatives around .
4) no they live alone.
5)visit me ( their daughter) and grand kids.
7) yes my grandmother has to physically be present to collect her pension.
8) she doesn't teach at an institution ,her students are coached at home and they pay her by cash.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
IMO, it is going to be challenging for both your mom and your grandmom to be approved if they apply together. Quite honestly and unfortunately, IMO, your grandmom has almost zero chances of a TRV approval.

I would recommend you first apply only for your mom by indicating your grandmom as the family tie to return to. You can then apply for your grandmom after your mom is approved.

Your mom's chances of approval too are low. This is because she would find it difficult to prove her employment/tuition classes + no property/land ownership + no previous travel (UAE is liberal in issuing visas and doesn't help to prove travel history).

Some suggestions for your mom's application:
1. Like I stated earlier, indicate your grandmom as the family tie to return to. Do include: Evidence they live at the same address + relationship proof (your mom to your grandmom)

2. Your sister's power of attorney + 1-2 instances where your mom has used the power of attorney/proofs that your mom takes care of your sister's property (for example, paying the bills, attending meetings, letters to any authority issued by your mom, etc)

3. If they live in rented accommodation then a copy of the rent agreement + 2-3 rent receipts

4. Evidence of the pension + bank statement to confirm this

5. If possible she must be paid by cheques/bank transfers for the English tuition + issue payment receipts.... for 2-3 months before she applies

6. She must include an explanation stating she would like to visit during the college break

7. 6 months' bank statements (no last-minute transfers or money borrowed) + financial investments + proof of jewelry as financial investment (valuation from a certified jeweler) + pension statement, etc

8. A broad day-by-day itinerary of her plans when she visits (sightseeing, spending time with you and your family, etc)

9. She must buy overseas travel medical insurance (not super visa medical insurance) for the planned dates of her visit. This is not mandatory but it would show that she has thought through this aspect

10. All documents must be in English or translated into English by a certified translator

Subysubhana

Mar 17, 2018
IMO, it is going to be challenging for both your mom and your grandmom to be approved if they apply together. Quite honestly and unfortunately, IMO, your grandmom has almost zero chances of a TRV approval.

I would recommend you first apply only for your mom by indicating your grandmom as the family tie to return to. You can then apply for your grandmom after your mom is approved.

Your mom's chances of approval too are low. This is because she would find it difficult to prove her employment/tuition classes + no property/land ownership + no previous travel (UAE is liberal in issuing visas and doesn't help to prove travel history).

1. Like I stated earlier, indicate your grandmom as the family tie to return to. Do include: Evidence they live at the same address + relationship proof (your mom to your grandmom)

2. Your sister's power of attorney + 1-2 instances where your mom has used the power of attorney/proofs that your mom takes care of your sister's property (for example, paying the bills, attending meetings, letters to any authority issued by your mom, etc)

3. If they live in rented accommodation then a copy of the rent agreement + 2-3 rent receipts

5. If possible she must be paid by cheques/bank transfers for the English tuition + issue payment receipts.... for 2-3 months before she applies

6. She must include an explanation stating she would like to visit during the college break

7. 6 months' bank statements (no last-minute transfers or money borrowed) + financial investments + proof of jewelry as financial investment (valuation from a certified jeweler) + pension statement, etc

8. A broad day-by-day itinerary of her plans when she visits (sightseeing, spending time with you and your family, etc)

9. She must buy overseas travel medical insurance (not super visa medical insurance) for the planned dates of her visit. This is not mandatory but it would show that she has thought through this aspect

10. All documents must be in English or translated into English by a certified translator
As per your advice I will apply for mums visa first as she can show grandmother as a reason she has to

As per your advice I will apply for Mum first. Would I need to purchase medical insurance in Canada or in Sri Lanka? Also my husband is the one who would be financially responsible for any exoexpeses as I am not employed, would that affect my chances , how would I go about wording my invitation letter... Thanks so much once again. You've been so helpful.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Would I need to purchase medical insurance in Canada or in Sri Lanka?
It's not a super visa type of medical insurance. You can buy it in Sri Lanka too. It would be best to buy a policy from a global insurance company which processes claims/offers coverage for the Americas.

Also my husband is the one who would be financially responsible for any exoexpeses as I am not employed, would that affect my chances ,
I would make sure there's a bank balance of around CAD 10,000 as the host. It doesn't matter if you are currently not employed.

how would I go about wording my invitation letter... Thanks so much once again. You've been so helpful.
The invitation letter would be signed by both your husband and yourself. Do keep the visit to 3-4 weeks max.

Your invitation letter can have a slight emotional tone (don't overdo it though).... that would say as your mother made several sacrifices to raise you and your siblings, you would like her to take a holiday/spend some quality time with you and your family, etc

And, include a copy of your marriage certificate + copies of your husband's and your passports + his NOA + bank statement

Subysubhana

Mar 17, 2018
It's not a super visa type of medical insurance. You can buy it in Sri Lanka too. It would be best to buy a policy from a global insurance company which processes claims/offers coverage for the Americas.

I would make sure there's a bank balance of around CAD 10,000 as the host. It doesn't matter if you are currently not employed.

The invitation letter would be signed by both your husband and yourself. Do keep the visit to 3-4 weeks max.

Your invitation letter can have a slight emotional tone (don't overdo it though).... that would say as your mother made several sacrifices to raise you and your siblings, you would like her to take a holiday/spend some quality time with you and your family, etc

And, include a copy of your marriage certificate + copies of your husband's and your passports + his NOA + bank statement[/QUOTE
I am hoping to apply by paper by next month , as mum as to give her biometrics as well. Will definitely keep you updated on the status. Thanks so much once again. Have a nice day

tranjini

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
27-02-2015
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
03-03-2015
Med's Request
Attached to application
Med's Done....
03-09-2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
June 4 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 15 2015
LANDED..........
July 8, 2015
Hello, all

I am trying to sponsor my mother-in-law. We both work or I was on maternity but most part our income was always above $55,000.

My MIL is in sri lanka and she or her husband owns a house that is it. we are trying to sponsor her so she can take care of our child while we work.

Does she need to show income from sri lanka for her? her second son is a bus conductor earns $30,000 rupees per month and her husband is a farmer.

Also, How do I go about processing this? please send me step by step information

how to pay fees. Do i need to get eta? does she need the fingerprint? how to submit application at vac in sri lanka or I send here?

Also, what is a good reason I can give for her visit. I am thinking since birth she never seen our child so that is the reason. to go back she has an unmarried daughter so she cannot leave her alone there. please help me.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am trying to sponsor my mother-in-law. We both work or I was on maternity but most part our income was always above $55,000.
Your income is secondary for your MIL's TRV.

My MIL is in sri lanka and she or her husband owns a house that is it.
This may not be a strong tie by itself as the house is co-owned with her husband.

we are trying to sponsor her so she can take care of our child while we work.
A huge no to stating this as the purpose of visit as it equates to working illegally as a visitor.

Also, you can only invite your MIL for a TRV application. You cannot sponsor her visit. She needs to prove that she has the finances + ties to return to SL.

Does she need to show income from sri lanka for her? her second son is a bus conductor earns $30,000 rupees per month and her husband is a farmer.
Can her husband provide a Letter of Financial Support + does he have a good bank balance/financial situation?

Also, How do I go about processing this? please send me step by step information
You can start here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

Do go through the application package and Instructions Guide.

how to pay fees. Do i need to get eta? does she need the fingerprint? how to submit application at vac in sri lanka or I send here?
She's not visa-exempt/not eligible for eTA.

She must give her biometrics at the nearest VAC. You can apply online on her behalf (Use of representative IMM 5476 form)..... or else you can prepare her documents/application which she can submit as a paper application to the VAC along with her biometrics.

Also, what is a good reason I can give for her visit. I am thinking since birth she never seen our child so that is the reason. to go back she has an unmarried daughter so she cannot leave her alone there. please help me.
The unmarried daughter is staying with her dad and brother, right? If that's the case, this reason to return may not seem convincing.

Can your MIL prove any other reason to return to SL by a specific date?

tranjini

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
27-02-2015
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
03-03-2015
Med's Request
Attached to application
Med's Done....
03-09-2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
June 4 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 15 2015
LANDED..........
July 8, 2015
Your income is secondary for your MIL's TRV.

This may not be a strong tie by itself as the house is co-owned with her husband.

A huge no to stating this as the purpose of visit as it equates to working illegally as a visitor.

Also, you can only invite your MIL for a TRV application. You cannot sponsor her visit. She needs to prove that she has the finances + ties to return to SL.

Can her husband provide a Letter of Financial Support + does he have a good bank balance/financial situation?

You can start here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

Do go through the application package and Instructions Guide.

She's not visa-exempt/not eligible for eTA.

She must give her biometrics at the nearest VAC. You can apply online on her behalf (Use of representative IMM 5476 form)..... or else you can prepare her documents/application which she can submit as a paper application to the VAC along with her biometrics.

The unmarried daughter is staying with her dad and brother, right? If that's the case, this reason to return may not seem convincing.

Can your MIL prove any other reason to return to SL by a specific date?

Thnk you for your reply so what is your advice on how I do this ?

tranjini

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
27-02-2015
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
03-03-2015
Med's Request
Attached to application
Med's Done....
03-09-2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
June 4 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 15 2015
LANDED..........
July 8, 2015
10 years visa but she will return every two years
Will apply for medical insurance
House value in sl
Brother income prove
Father financia support prove from a local oath taker official letter

Her husband is ill so she need to return so doctor note for father in law

Our Noa for the past three years
Employement letter
Invitation letter
U see in sri lanka ir is a Cultural norm unmarried girl mother will not leave her can i not use it ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
10 years visa but she will return every two years
You cannot request a visa validity of 10 years. That's something a visa officer will determine.

Also, stating a long stay + intention to visit again in future may not work well.

Will apply for medical insurance
Are you applying for super visa for her or for a TRV/visitor visa?

House value in sl
Okay. But, still won't be a strong tie as her husband co-owns it.

Brother income prove
His income is low.

Father financia support prove from a local oath taker official letter
Proofs of his income from farming? Tax returns?

Her husband is ill so she need to return so doctor note for father in law
Okay

Our Noa for the past three years
Employement letter
Invitation letter
Super visa application or TRV?

U see in sri lanka ir is a Cultural norm unmarried girl mother will not leave her can i not use it ?
I didn't get this one. I don't think your MIL needs to accompany her everywhere. That's not what you meant, right?

Is your sister-in-law studying/employed/business?

tranjini

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
27-02-2015
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
03-03-2015
Med's Request
Attached to application
Med's Done....
03-09-2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
June 4 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 15 2015
LANDED..........
July 8, 2015
You cannot request a visa validity of 10 years. That's something a visa officer will determine.

Also, stating a long stay + intention to visit again in future may not work well.

Are you applying for super visa for her or for a TRV/visitor visa?

Okay. But, still won't be a strong tie as her husband co-owns it.

His income is low.

Proofs of his income from farming? Tax returns?

Okay

Super visa application or TRV?

I didn't get this one. I don't think your MIL needs to accompany her everywhere. That's not what you meant, right?

Is your sister-in-law studying/employed/business?

Stay home learing some stitching

tranjini

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
none