+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra company transfer - USA to Canada

sthomas9345

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Hi,

First let me thank you all for trying to help everyone by taking your precious time to answer their queries. You're all doing a great job. Hats off..

Coming to my situation, my company has applied for an Intra company transfer to Canada. My work permit got approved last week and am yet to send in my passport for stamping. I am an Indian citizen working In The USA. I will have to work for a year in Canada as an Intra company transfer employee and will be moving back to the US next year. I do have too many questions.

1. Since I am from India and I work in USA, my attorney told me that the consulate will be needing a criminal history check report from India and the US. But my approval letter shows it only needs my passport. IS it normal they haven't requested for any of the police certificates? Also, my approval says "This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application." IS this an approval for the work permit or TRP?

2. Also, what is the turnaround time for passport mailed for stamping?

3. I have 2 years of experience in driving within the USA. Unfortunately my license will expire on the 23rd of February and I will be leaving to Canad only by the end of February. IS it possible for me to get an Ontario driving license with an expired US license?

4. I applied for the petition on the 26th of October and I got married on November 22nd. Since I was single when I applied for the petition and I am now married, how do I include my spouse's name on the dependent's list. Also, if I have to apply a (spouse) open work permit for my husband how long would it take for it to get processed in India? First time when he applied for a visitor visa to Canada it got rejected? Does the rejection affect the open work permit approval? What are the chances of him getting his work permit?

Thank you very much in advance for taking your valuable time to give me your suggestions.

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

First let me thank you all for trying to help everyone by taking your precious time to answer their queries. You're all doing a great job. Hats off..

Coming to my situation, my company has applied for an Intra company transfer to Canada. My work permit got approved last week and am yet to send in my passport for stamping. I am an Indian citizen working In The USA. I will have to work for a year in Canada as an Intra company transfer employee and will be moving back to the US next year. I do have too many questions.

1. Since I am from India and I work in USA, my attorney told me that the consulate will be needing a criminal history check report from India and the US. But my approval letter shows it only needs my passport. IS it normal they haven't requested for any of the police certificates? Also, my approval says "This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application." IS this an approval for the work permit or TRP?

My understanding is normally for Work Permits they don't need Police Clearance. This is your official request for you to submit passport for Visa stamping. This sounds like all background checks are done and visa issuance in progress. Remember you are getting a TRV (temporay residence), not PR of GC as we call it in US. This is like h1. Please double check what kind of work permit it would be. Open or closed. Open means you can go to any employer. and Bonded/Closed means you can only work for a specific employer only. The time limit will be metnioned when you get work permit. Your visa should me multiple entry and while entering the first time you will be issued a work permit. which will show all the details (open/closed etc)

2. Also, what is the turnaround time for passport mailed for stamping?

Depends where you submit it and how you submit it. Stamping and return of passport usually is done within a week when the Visa office gets it. I wouldn't worry about this.

3. I have 2 years of experience in driving within the USA. Unfortunately my license will expire on the 23rd of February and I will be leaving to Canad only by the end of February. IS it possible for me to get an Ontario driving license with an expired US license?
You can drive on US license in Canada for temporary time. However in order to get a car, proof of local address, etc you will need to officially transfer your license to Canada. Check with Service Ontario website on out of country exchange license. Normally your US license will not be cancelled. it will just expire and can be renewed with your state (depends on their policy). Also depending on your driving history/license history, they may ask for official driving record for the transfer. All the details should be mentioned on Service Ontario website. I personally thinjk, there will be NO requirement for driving test. But you still will need official driving record to be shared.

4. I applied for the petition on the 26th of October and I got married on November 22nd. Since I was single when I applied for the petition and I am now married, how do I include my spouse's name on the dependent's list. Also, if I have to apply a (spouse) open work permit for my husband how long would it take for it to get processed in India? First time when he applied for a visitor visa to Canada it got rejected? Does the rejection affect the open work permit approval? What are the chances of him getting his work permit?

Talk to your attorney/office if they can add the spouse now. It may delay your spouse and your file, but again it also depends on personal case to case basis. Also, your spouse's visitor visa rejection should not impact his/her file and your file. but again it also depends on what casis was he/she rejected before. If it was just because no significant ties shown that the person will go back after visiting, i wouldn't worry. that ir normal. If you appl for his/her open work permit once you enter canada. That will be like a new file from scratch and will take time based on local processing. It all depends on you on how you want. Also not sure if the file would be processed in India. It hsould be the location where your spouse would be when you are in Canada.

Thank you very much in advance for taking your valuable time to give me your suggestions.

mkazim

Feb 23, 2015
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
19-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
13-08-2016
Med's Done....
15-08-2016 (second time)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2016
LANDED..........
Probably May 2017
Do share your experience once you move to Ca

livsp28

Aug 22, 2016
Hi ,

I happened to stumble upon this site and found on this thread exactly what I was looking for. I do have a few questions of my own and any response would be very much appreciated.

The company that i currently work for in USA has plans to send me to Canada to work and Intra Company Transfer is the route being taken to achieve this. Earlier this week the application was filed for my work permit. Considering I'm an Indian citizen, working in USA , what is the approximate time line / period for this visa to be approved and/or for me to be able to move to Canada for work, considering the application is approved/accepted ?

Next month I plan on going back to India for holiday and was wondering if the application was filed in USA, can i get the visa stamped in India, if it's approved ? Is there any restriction for an applicant to leave country from where application is being filed before stamping of visa ?

Finally, if anyone who has gone through this process could provide a sequence of procedures that go into getting the permit approval process, that would be of great help .

Again, your input on this matter would be of much help.

Thanks in advance.

abhignans

Jul 23, 2018
Hi ,

I happened to stumble upon this site and found on this thread exactly what I was looking for. I do have a few questions of my own and any response would be very much appreciated.

The company that i currently work for in USA has plans to send me to Canada to work and Intra Company Transfer is the route being taken to achieve this. Earlier this week the application was filed for my work permit. Considering I'm an Indian citizen, working in USA , what is the approximate time line / period for this visa to be approved and/or for me to be able to move to Canada for work, considering the application is approved/accepted ?

Next month I plan on going back to India for holiday and was wondering if the application was filed in USA, can i get the visa stamped in India, if it's approved ? Is there any restriction for an applicant to leave country from where application is being filed before stamping of visa ?

Finally, if anyone who has gone through this process could provide a sequence of procedures that go into getting the permit approval process, that would be of great help .

Again, your input on this matter would be of much help.

Thanks in advance.
Hello livesp28,

i am in same boat as you.
my company is planning to apply for Intra-company transfer from USA to Canada. i am an Indian citizen on H1b visa in US.
can you please let know what all i need to apply for and what is the time line i can expect.
i do not see any definitive instructions as to how to do this. everywhere is see are general requirement.

Since you have applied for same, it would be helpful if you can let me know the steps and requirements.