+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview Scenario.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
cec2011 said:
I got a perfect score on my test, then the officer noticed my "many, many" absences (mostly day trips... or 2-3 day trips to see my family as my grandparents can't travel) and I got sent for a second interview. The immigration officer was much nicer but grilled me on my trips and said he would be contacting CBSA re: my absences to see if everything checked out. Sure enough, I missed ONE trip (which was not in my passport) and instead of having the required 1095 days, I had 1094. I got an RQ April 21st and have until May 21st to send it all this documentation. I have a novel ready to go to send on Monday. So annoying.

Really though, I am sure you'll be ok - worst comes to worse the RQ happens and you fill it out and send it back.
Don't worry, have trust and faith in god, you would be alright. I would recommend anyone reading this thread that when you apply for citizenship, please give extra buffer like 2-4 weeks so that in case you forget about any trip then that buffer can save you.
The main reason you might have got RQ is because of shortage of residency days because technically you require 1095 days but you actually have 1094 days.

All the best and good luck!

Tamara_

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Don't worry, you would be fine. He will verify the stamps and the dates and you will receive the oath letter soon.

I suppose you went to see your sick father after the application of citizenship, correct? I hope your father is doing well.
If yes, then how does it affect your citizenship application because 4 years preceding the date of application would be considered. Days spent outside canada after submitting citizenship application should not cause any trouble unless the officer has doubts that the person is not staying here and is here only for getting canadian passport.
Thanks thecoolguysam,

I hope you will get your oath letter soon as well.

Actually I got offended when she told me that I have to stay with my father and postpone the test. In my mind i was saying " Do you mean than I don't love my father?" I think this is something personal. She shouldn't have talked about it. Anyways, I knew that something unusual will happen to me in the interview. :D

She checked my passport and matched the stamps to the residency calculator. I hope she will forget me and my father and approve my application ;D. By the way, she didn't say to me the my application is approved or not approved. She said that she will review the translation.

T

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tamara_ said:
Actually I got offended when she told me that I have to stay with my father and postpone the test. In my mind i was saying " Do you mean than I don't love my father?" I think this is something personal. She shouldn't have talked about it. Anyways, I knew that something unusual will happen to me in the interview.
She was probably toying with you to check your reaction. It feels pretty freaking low though. Her judgement related to your father is completely uninformed and none of her business. Moreover it is irrelevant to your citizenship and will not affect it.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Tamara_ said:
Hello all,

I did my test today. I got 19/20. The interview went so nicely at the beginning. But at the end the officer asked me about a visit to my country which I did last week and it was for one day. Bear in mind that I applied in August 2014 and the total of my physical presence in Canada when I applied was 1460 days. Here is the scenario.

Officer : When did you last visit your country?
Tamara: Last week. and it was for one day.
Officer : One day? How come ? What happened?
Tamara: My father was very sick and I wanted to see him and the same time I don't want to miss the citizenship test. So this is why I flew to my country for one day and came back to Canada.
Officer : If I were in you shoes, I will postpone the test and stay with my father. I don't know. Anyways I have the translation of your passport stamps. I will review them. If things are OK, you will hear form us within 2-3 months.

I went back home and still the conversation was going around in my head. What do you think? Am I doomed?

Tamara
The normal time after passing the test is about 2 -3 months for Oath. Its immaterial if you visit for a day or month, its should be none of officer's concerns. I guess he got little suspicious and tried to probe further. If you met the eligibility, you are OK. Wish you all the best.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Tamara_ said:
Thanks OP_POP. The same to you.

But she seemed unconvinced. Why do citizenship officers often make it hard for us to live the moments that should be happy and memorable . Why does she care about a visit that I did last week despite the fact that I applied in August 2014 and my physical presences total is 1460 days?

Tamara
If your county is farther than MI in the USA, it sounds fishy to me too; one day visit to home country last week.... hmmm.
On the entry card (Custom Card) you can declare how many days outside Canada you want, as the exit is not controlled.

However, if you have produced the trip details (flight ticket/boarding passes) you should be totally fine.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Tamara_ said:
Hello all,

I did my test today. I got 19/20. The interview went so nicely at the beginning. But at the end the officer asked me about a visit to my country which I did last week and it was for one day. Bear in mind that I applied in August 2014 and the total of my physical presence in Canada when I applied was 1460 days. Here is the scenario.

Tamara: My father was very sick and I wanted to see him and the same time I don't want to miss the citizenship test. So this is why I flew to my country for one day and came back to Canada.
Officer : If I were in you shoes, I will postpone the test and stay with my father. I don't know. Anyways I have the translation of your passport stamps. I will review them. If things are OK, you will hear form us within 2-3 months.

I went back home and still the conversation was going around in my head. What do you think? Am I doomed?

Tamara
I am reading between lines here... So, seeing from cic officer perspective... He know (that you told him) that you came to canada 1 week before citz test; and that you did not want to miss it. Now, he would want to be sure when you left the country in first place.

Agreed you said to him it's 1 day; agreed its outside your 1095 period; agreed its none of his business to know the personal situation - but officer sure want to know when you left in first place. He probed you to do the first check; he'll go back verify from his sources.

If what you said is correct and all that's part of truth, I think you can rest fine; wait it out a bit.

The moment there are some travels after the application and before test, one should make up mind to be ready for deviation from happy path

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I think the officer might have suspected that you just came to Canada for interview only and you are no longer residing in Canada.
That's why he wanted to verify the exit and entry dates to ensure that you are telling the truth and that's the reason why he wanted to verify the stamps.

Don't worry, as you said your trip was indeed for 1 day and the officer would be able to verify the same, you would be fine. Your oath should be on your way :) Cheers!

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Tamara_ said:
Hello all,

Tamara
May be she was genuinely surprised that some one wouldn't postpone for a genuine reason... Probably would not hurt the application process in any way...

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi Soopergal

Any up date, just now I spoke to CIC and came to know that my file transfer
from St.Clair to Scarborough office last week...

hope you are doing well and your file will also move at good pace...