+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International travel with Canadian passport - First impressions!

ontheborder

Aug 31, 2018
Hello all,

Last month, I flew traveled to Europe for the first time with rather recently acquired Canadian passport. My first trans Atlantic flight after acquiring Canadian citizenship. I am fairly well traveled even with my previous passport, especially to Western Europe and North America, and tempted to compare on the border experience.
  • My experience entering USA as a Canadian citizen was not substantially different from prior experiences, American immigration displayed the same degree of professionalism.
  • Returning to Canada as a citizen was substantially different when crossing the border by an automobile, the ever friendly immigration officers were friendlier.
  • Returning to Canada by air was no different, both PRs and Citizens are treated the same way at the airports, automation of immigration procedures could be the reason.
  • I have flown to Europe dozens of times over the past two decades, here the Canadian passport made a big difference! The European immigration, never known for their friendliness, were markedly friendly. Only routine questions, I was even smiled at! My prior experience at European airports were professional, but I could feel the skepticism.
  • I was never ever denied a visa with my previous passport, never ever was refused entry to any country, and have traveled widely, but traveling with a Canadian passport was a whole new experience. Thank you Canada!

jameswood2

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
that's kinda sad, good people live in Canada and also good people live in India or Pakistan or other places. I hope one day nobody treats people bad because that person has a passport of a country that has a bad government, everyone should be equal no matter what is their religion or color of their skin or where they come from or what is the passport their holding. When I first enter into Canada I was a student with no work-permit didn't know English , the lady who helped me do my immigration papers, treated me same as the day enters Canada with PR and I'm sure she will do the same if one day I enter with Canadian password, always with smile and welcomeing people to this beautiful country. that's why I love Canada.

munter

Apr 12, 2014
I find the US the worst. I have PR there and the last time I entered with my wife who is american and the two of us approach, I get slightly grilled, simple questions as usual and I get a cold grimace in response, nothing verbal, then he turns to her smiles and says welcome home, I just got the cold stare. I felt like saying that I am PR and its my home too thank you! It was humourous that he made such a huge contrast between us. Like he wanted to show a clear hierarchy. It's like he wishes he didn't have to let me in and he's upset that I haven't messed up. I feel like a new recruit in the military or something lol.

It actually upset her as a us citizen more than it bothered me

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Border control is just that, specially with Canada/USA - they're all dependent on their mood at the time. If they're happy they're welcoming, if not then they're miserable and it shows, no welcomes or smiles.
I used to be sent to secondary inspection when going to usa before citizenship of canada, and even after getting it and travel on canada passport, i also still sent to secondary inspection the last 2 times i travel. (But I got sent out of there quickly to the airplane gate area). Only once i think the officer just stamped me in and let me go forward as he was in good mood. So if u get sent to secondary inspections, expect the same even after getting Canada passports. (Specially at USA.)
But i agree travel to europe is much easier and better and faster.
Europeans don't hassle too much on Canada passports, sometimes they friendly sometimes not. But they're fast and efficient (Schengen countries)