+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

international students experience

Mar 2, 2016
i just thought to open a new thread about your experiences as International students so that for those who are aspiring can have ideas on what to expect...

;D

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Great idea, hopefully students who have already in Canada can share there experience from all aspects

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello we discuss everything here: www.studentsconnect.ca.

Everything from applications to choosing a place to live. It really depends on what you want to talk about They are current international students and they also those of us who are now working but have gone through the International student experience. We share experiences so new comers can avoid mistakes we made years ago.

You are welcome to ask any questions.

lianconcepcion said:
i just thought to open a new thread about your experiences as International students so that for those who are aspiring can have ideas on what to expect...

;D

inder009

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Canada
App. Filed.......
21-06-2018
AOR Received.
16-08-2018
Med's Request
2-05-2019
Med's Done....
03-05-2019
Expect struggle,busy life,study burden ,labour jobs, new exposure

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will notice a lot of people have different opinions based on their experience.
Make sure you are financially grounded before coming in. There might ot might not be a job. I replied someone earlier on this. See below.

First of all; make sure you study what you are passionate about. Do not go into Engineering, Medicine or Law because mummy and daddy have asked you to. If you do, you will be frustrated and when the program gets tough you will lose interest quickly.

Choose your friends carefully irrespective of background. If you want to see your future then take a good look at the friends you walk around with. Would your parents encourage their behavior? and do they challenge you to think beyond where you are?

Make Canadian friends and learn the culture real quick. Your Canadian friends grew up in Canada and will show you the ropes quick.

Consider your time an asset and do not waste it but always invest it. Write your goals and aspirations down. Tell yourself what you would like to become in the next few years.

Don't always go with what everyone does but follow your heart and make sure you pray to God for every single step you take.

Remember the main reason you are in Canada is to study. Once you begin having problems with your grades or with your school then your study permit could be in jeopardy.

Start applying to summer positions in your field from your 2nd year of study. Get some real Canadian experience.

Please strive as much as you can to gain Canadian work experience in your field before you graduate.

Apply to jobs in other provinces in the summer months if you have to. Sometimes you are most likely to find work in remote areas where people don't want to go, but these areas sometimes provide the experience you need. Learn how to manage your money well and be accountable for every dollar you spend. It will surely help you in the future when you begin working. If you have an android phone download the 'expense manager' app.

Be very honest with yourself and know your boundaries. Don't be afraid to speak up anytime you find something does not sit right with you.

Don't let peer pressure from your friends redefine who you are. Be genuine and stand by your words.

Take your Spiritual life really seriously. Canada is great but without God you could be really lost.

Also see 'preparing for Canada' on www.studentsconnect.ca

sudan.r

May 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Papa Bomboy said:
You will notice a lot of people have different opinions based on their experience.
Make sure you are financially grounded before coming in. There might ot might not be a job. I replied someone earlier on this. See below.

First of all; make sure you study what you are passionate about. Do not go into Engineering, Medicine or Law because mummy and daddy have asked you to. If you do, you will be frustrated and when the program gets tough you will lose interest quickly.

Choose your friends carefully irrespective of background. If you want to see your future then take a good look at the friends you walk around with. Would your parents encourage their behavior? and do they challenge you to think beyond where you are?

Make Canadian friends and learn the culture real quick. Your Canadian friends grew up in Canada and will show you the ropes quick.

Consider your time an asset and do not waste it but always invest it. Write your goals and aspirations down. Tell yourself what you would like to become in the next few years.

Don't always go with what everyone does but follow your heart and make sure you pray to God for every single step you take.

Remember the main reason you are in Canada is to study. Once you begin having problems with your grades or with your school then your study permit could be in jeopardy.

Start applying to summer positions in your field from your 2nd year of study. Get some real Canadian experience.

Please strive as much as you can to gain Canadian work experience in your field before you graduate.

Apply to jobs in other provinces in the summer months if you have to. Sometimes you are most likely to find work in remote areas where people don't want to go, but these areas sometimes provide the experience you need. Learn how to manage your money well and be accountable for every dollar you spend. It will surely help you in the future when you begin working. If you have an android phone download the 'expense manager' app.

Be very honest with yourself and know your boundaries. Don't be afraid to speak up anytime you find something does not sit right with you.

Don't let peer pressure from your friends redefine who you are. Be genuine and stand by your words.

Take your Spiritual life really seriously. Canada is great but without God you could be really lost.

Also see 'preparing for Canada' on www.studentsconnect.ca
Really appreciate your efforts and advice u give .......this is really needed not only in Canada but in every phase of life,, again thanks ☺

nadiakhalid2

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
hello everybody
i really need some serious advice bcz my study depend on this issue. i am planning to apply for PhD. discussions with supervisors are in progress. i have adequate funds to cover my stay and expenses for the course. the main problem is that when i tell someone my circumstances, they give me a solution which is almost impractical for me so i need some solid advice on that. i have three kids and i want to bring them and my husband with me as dependents. everybody is telling me that if i apply for study permit along with my dependents, it is domed to be rejected. i should apply only for me visa. then after coming to canada, apply for my family. my younger kid is only 1 year old and i cant just left her. my elder kids can live for two three months without me. now my questions are
1. is there more chance for visa if i only apply for my youngest kid along with me and after coming, apply for rest of my family?
2. how much chances that they will get visa?
3. I have a friend in canada who is willing to take care of my daughter until my family comes. can i bring her with me on this arrangement?
4. if i come alone, how much time it will take to bring my family?

Thanks In Advance

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I was your visa officer I would be thinking the following;

If she has enough money to cover her tuition and living expenses etc. how about her family? Would she be able to cater for her family needs while she studies?

Since the whole family is moving this looks sort of like a permanent move. What is the prove that this applicant will be coming back with her family after her studies?

Every new comer to Canada struggles to adjust especially in the first year. Doing this with kids even with help will be a little challenging.
+++
I know a lady who completed her masters at Ryerson University with her family back home. It was a tough time but she was constantly traveling every 2 months or so. She was able to bring her family (2 kids and her husband) to Canada (3 years) after she obtained her permanent residence.

Although coming by yourself is less burden and paper work, you can try bringing all your family members at once but make sure you show prove that you are financially able to take care of them for the duration of your Ph.D program with or without or a job. Also attach a letter of explanation on how you intend to cater for your family needs while you study. They will need to see your plan due to the stressful demand of academics. Home ties could be difficult to prove since you are moving your entire family, however if you can still show strong ties to your home country that could go a long way.

Processing times really depends on the applicant's case. Although processing times are updated regularly I notice it doesn't necessary apply to every applicant.
Just my opinion, someone else could have a better idea.

nadiakhalid2 said:
hello everybody
i really need some serious advice bcz my study depend on this issue. i am planning to apply for PhD. discussions with supervisors are in progress. i have adequate funds to cover my stay and expenses for the course. the main problem is that when i tell someone my circumstances, they give me a solution which is almost impractical for me so i need some solid advice on that. i have three kids and i want to bring them and my husband with me as dependents. everybody is telling me that if i apply for study permit along with my dependents, it is domed to be rejected. i should apply only for me visa. then after coming to canada, apply for my family. my younger kid is only 1 year old and i cant just left her. my elder kids can live for two three months without me. now my questions are
1. is there more chance for visa if i only apply for my youngest kid along with me and after coming, apply for rest of my family?
2. how much chances that they will get visa?
3. I have a friend in canada who is willing to take care of my daughter until my family comes. can i bring her with me on this arrangement?
4. if i come alone, how much time it will take to bring my family?

Thanks In Advance