+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INTERNATIONAL Student Working Hours during BREAKS

firefox793

Sep 10, 2012
Hello,

Please could any one tell me if:

1- Could a International student work full time(40+) hours during a scheduled break according to CIC?

2- If the answer is "YES" how many hours in a week can s/he work according to CIC also could someone give me a valid link or a manual link for the same?

If yes please could you send me a valid link which states according to CIC website??

I tried to research myself but could not found a strong statement to argue with my friend.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/work-off-campus.asp
Full-time status
Designated learning institutions set the number of hours/credits toward a degree, diploma or certificate that is required for a student to hold full-time status. Students must cease working off-campus as soon as their status changes (e.g., a student may begin an academic session on a full-time basis and become part-time during the same session as they drop courses).

One or two distance learning courses within an academic, vocational or professional training program are acceptable within the context of determining full-time status.

If the designated learning institution considers a student to have full-time status during the "work experience" portion of the program (for which a work permit under the co-op work permit program is required) and the student continues to comply with the eligibility requirements under the co-op work permit program, the student may be eligible to work off campus pursuant to R186(v).

Scheduled breaks
Students must hold full-time status during the academic session prior to, as well as subsequent to, their scheduled break. Each scheduled break should not be more than four months consecutively and students are not eligible to work full-time if the institution allows for back-to-back scheduled breaks. Essentially, taking into account reading breaks and the winter holiday, students may only work off campus on a full-time basis for no longer than five months during each calendar year (e.g., working full-time for four months consecutively during a scheduled break plus full-time during reading breaks that generally do not exceed one week at a time).

Conditions for work
Maximum working hours permited

Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

Students who are registered as full-time students during summer academic sessions (May to August) may only work up to 20 hours per week during that period.

Some intensive programs may not have scheduled breaks. Students participating in such programs may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study.

There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus.

If staff at a designated learning institution goes on strike, students holding an off-campus work permit may not work full-time.

Thanks in anticipation

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

firefox793 said:
Hello,

Please could any one tell me if:

1- Could a International student work full time(40+) hours during a scheduled break according to CIC?

2- If the answer is "YES" how many hours in a week can s/he work according to CIC also could someone give me a valid link or a manual link for the same?

If yes please could you send me a valid link which states according to CIC website??

I tried to research myself but could not found a strong statement to argue with my friend.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/work-off-campus.asp
Full-time status
Designated learning institutions set the number of hours/credits toward a degree, diploma or certificate that is required for a student to hold full-time status. Students must cease working off-campus as soon as their status changes (e.g., a student may begin an academic session on a full-time basis and become part-time during the same session as they drop courses).

One or two distance learning courses within an academic, vocational or professional training program are acceptable within the context of determining full-time status.

If the designated learning institution considers a student to have full-time status during the "work experience" portion of the program (for which a work permit under the co-op work permit program is required) and the student continues to comply with the eligibility requirements under the co-op work permit program, the student may be eligible to work off campus pursuant to R186(v).

Scheduled breaks
Students must hold full-time status during the academic session prior to, as well as subsequent to, their scheduled break. Each scheduled break should not be more than four months consecutively and students are not eligible to work full-time if the institution allows for back-to-back scheduled breaks. Essentially, taking into account reading breaks and the winter holiday, students may only work off campus on a full-time basis for no longer than five months during each calendar year (e.g., working full-time for four months consecutively during a scheduled break plus full-time during reading breaks that generally do not exceed one week at a time).

Conditions for work
Maximum working hours permited

Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

Students who are registered as full-time students during summer academic sessions (May to August) may only work up to 20 hours per week during that period.

Some intensive programs may not have scheduled breaks. Students participating in such programs may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study.

There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus.

If staff at a designated learning institution goes on strike, students holding an off-campus work permit may not work full-time.

Thanks in anticipation

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=664&t=6