+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student Changing school

Amtheslayer

May 12, 2021
Hi everybody,

I entered Canada in 2019 on a study permit (which For some reason had 3 years of validity) to pursue a masters at an Ontario university. I have an offer of admission from another Ontario university for a PhD this September. Can I start my PhD with my current permit (valid until 2022) and then extend my permit next year? I do not want to extend it now because my passport is valid until 2023 and I am starting a 4-year program. I want to renew my passport first.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I think you can, just need to change your DLI on your GCkey (if you applied for your SP online). Might be best to ask the immigration advisor at your school or send a webform to IRCC. You can also tweet them.

Reactions: Amtheslayer

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everybody,

I entered Canada in 2019 on a study permit (which For some reason had 3 years of validity) to pursue a masters at an Ontario university. I have an offer of admission from another Ontario university for a PhD this September. Can I start my PhD with my current permit (valid until 2022) and then extend my permit next year? I do not want to extend it now because my passport is valid until 2023 and I am starting a 4-year program. I want to renew my passport first.
Did you take class or completed your Masters degree when entering Canada prior to wanting to pursue your phd studies? There is no issue with changing DLI when you are within but extending study permit needs some supporting documents, including complying to the conditions of your current status

Amtheslayer

May 12, 2021
Did you take class or completed your Masters degree when entering Canada prior to wanting to pursue your phd studies? There is no issue with changing DLI when you are within but extending study permit needs some supporting documents, including complying to the conditions of your current status
Thanks for your response.
Yes I will finish my master’s by August and then start my PhD in September. I applied for PhD after the first year of my masters and that’s how I got accepted.
What constitutes a violation of the study permit? I am a good student (never failed a course, average 97%) and I never worked more than 20 hours a week even when I was allowed to during covid. I only don’t want to apply for an extension right now because of the validity of my passport.
Also after graduation from my master’s in early August, can I work part time while I wait for my PhD program to begin in September?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your response.
Yes I will finish my master’s by August and then start my PhD in September. I applied for PhD after the first year of my masters and that’s how I got accepted.
What constitutes a violation of the study permit? I am a good student (never failed a course, average 97%) and I never worked more than 20 hours a week even when I was allowed to during covid. I only don’t want to apply for an extension right now because of the validity of my passport.
Also after graduation from my master’s in early August, can I work part time while I wait for my PhD program to begin in September?
You’ve maintaned your FT status. You can not work after you finish your studies. The only way is if you apply for pgwp then you can work under implied status. If you are determined to continue with your phd studies, i dont recommend applying your pgwp now, as it is issued only once in lifetime and may expire while you do your phd