+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada questions

PTJohnson

Jan 1, 2024
Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

I am a British citizen and have been in Canada since January 2023 on a two year open work permit through the International Experience Canada. My current work permit expires in January 2025. However, I had a look and I am eligible to apply for another 12 months, which would take me to January 2026. I'm hoping to apply for permanent residency around July-August of this year, as by then I'll have had a full 12 months in my current job (I have had other jobs here and there before). Anyway, my questions are as follows:
  1. Am I correct in assuming that while applying for the IEC again, I will be considered to have "Maintained Status" (previously known as "Implied Status") in Canada, meaning I cannot leave the country while they make a decision?

2. My biometrics are already on file from my previous application and I heard they usually remain valid for a long time - a good 10 years or so - does this mean they shouldn't need them a second time, potentially speeding up my application?

3. If and when I receive a formal invitation to take part in the IEC for another 12 months, they will issue me with a Port of Entry letter. I'd have to leave Canada and come back through a port of entry and present my letter to the border staff to get a work permit for another 12 months. The Port of Entry letter is usually valid for a full 12 months. Does this mean I can basically keep the letter "on ice" so to speak and use it when my current IEC expires, or is close to expiring? What I mean is, say if I get accepted and receive a Port of Entry letter on February 10 2024, that means I'd have to present the letter to border staff before February 10 2025. But will my current work permit still be considered valid until January 2025 when it was originally scheduled to expire, and I can then travel outside of Canada since they've made a decision and formally invited me to participate? Basically what I'm asking is, will my current permit still be valid, and can I freely travel outside of Canada (my wife lives in the US), so long as I don't present the new Port of Entry letter to the border staff until I want to?