+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada (IEC) applicants , times

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Excellent, cheers!

Family sponsorship is a bit complicated, had prepared the paperwork but then realized we might get a refusal if doing it outside Canada, as my wife would have to show her income over the last 12 months (unemployed as most over here), persuade that she'd be able to support me for the next 2 years (hard) and prove that she would come with me to Canada once I get my PR status (house rental, job offer etc). Would also have to wait more than a year for it, so decided to go with the IEC program now and if we settle and everything is ok, then will apply for the sponsorship after 4-5 months or so, from inside Canada. This should resolve all the issues.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
beholder69 said:
Excellent, cheers!

Family sponsorship is a bit complicated, had prepared the paperwork but then realized we might get a refusal if doing it outside Canada, as my wife would have to show her income over the last 12 months (unemployed as most over here), persuade that she'd be able to support me for the next 2 years (hard) and prove that she would come with me to Canada once I get my PR status (house rental, job offer etc). Would also have to wait more than a year for it, so decided to go with the IEC program now and if we settle and everything is ok, then will apply for the sponsorship after 4-5 months or so, from inside Canada. This should resolve all the issues.
you're so lucky! you have nothing to worry with the iec. considering the timeplan you have, everything will work out great in the end. i wish my husband could be included in the program than our problems wouldn't be so huge. i don't know how he can stay here while i am, we're thinking the student visa, but it's too much money and after all the sh*t we've been through i don't know how we're gonna afford it! again you've got nothing to worry about, you're in greece and coming with the iec so everything will go down smoothly, imagine being in canada on a tourist visa and having to pass the borders on your own. even though i got the loi, nothing is set in stone.

alt10

Jan 21, 2013
Athens
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadiara if don't have problem would you share your time line it will be helpful for us applying in Rome Visa office. :)

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
of course, so here's my timeline

iec conditional acceptance letter: 08/03/2013
proof of payment verified: 12/03/2013
cic application submission confirmation: 14/03/2013
cic approval loi:25/03/2013

loi was signed by the canadian embassy in rome.

alt10

Jan 21, 2013
Athens
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadiara said:
of course, so here's my timeline

iec conditional acceptance letter: 08/03/2013
proof of payment verified: 12/03/2013
cic application submission confirmation: 14/03/2013
cic approval loi:25/03/2013

loi was signed by the canadian embassy in rome.
That's really early LOL only 10 days ? You submit medics ?

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
what? no! no medics for greece, this is the iec program, as long you haven't spent time in a country that requires medical exams you don't take them.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
canadiara said:
you're so lucky! you have nothing to worry with the iec. considering the timeplan you have, everything will work out great in the end. i wish my husband could be included in the program than our problems wouldn't be so huge. i don't know how he can stay here while i am, we're thinking the student visa, but it's too much money and after all the sh*t we've been through i don't know how we're gonna afford it! again you've got nothing to worry about, you're in greece and coming with the iec so everything will go down smoothly, imagine being in canada on a tourist visa and having to pass the borders on your own. even though i got the loi, nothing is set in stone.
Well, since you'll be able to work there, this may be helpful in finding an employer for him as well who would be willing to make him a work offer. The Greek community could also help but they won't do it remotely. If they meet you in person though, something might be found and they could use the fact he is speaking Greek as a way to get the LMO easier. Had been to Toronto last summer, the Greeks there were very friendly and kept saying to us that there are a lot of job opportunities there.

By the way guys, have you asked about the insurance that they require? Haven't asked yet so don't know where I could do it, cost etc

alt10

Jan 21, 2013
Athens
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beholder69 said:
Well, since you'll be able to work there, this may be helpful in finding an employer for him as well who would be willing to make him a work offer. The Greek community could also help but they won't do it remotely. If they meet you in person though, something might be found and they could use the fact he is speaking Greek as a way to get the LMO easier. Had been to Toronto last summer, the Greeks there were very friendly and kept saying to us that there are a lot of job opportunities there.

By the way guys, have you asked about the insurance that they require? Haven't asked yet so don't know where I could do it, cost etc
Hmm that's a good question I have take a taste from insurance companies you need about 800e per 6months but ofc there are better deals. You can ask at your country , where are you from ?

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
alt10 said:
Hmm that's a good question I have take a taste from insurance companies you need about 800e per 6months but ofc there are better deals. You can ask at your country , where are you from ?
*cough* *cough* , so around 1600 Euros for the whole year?!?...

That sounds very steep, was hoping for less to be honest. I'm from Greece as well :D

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
beholder69 said:

again you're lucky, or maybe made a better choice. we're in vancouver, not toronto. the greek community here is very small and we have been there and the only thing they could offer was a job for psaltis, which as you can imagine is not something my husband could do. they were quite reluctant in helping us and in general i have discovered that people in vancouver even though very polite, they are quite distant and very unwilling to get involved in any kind of way with the immigration process.
i was just about to book my insurance with pacific blue cross, it is in vancouver https://travelweb.pac.bluecross.ca/travelweb/default.aspx, but there are others in toronto, if you're staying there. i have also found this website http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/International-Experience-Canada-%28IEC%29-Insurance it's canada wide and most insurance agencies and companies are in toronto.
with pacific blue cross it's 1200$ which is 923 euro with exchange 1.3, and it's for the whole year and you get covered for up to 100,000$. i have also found that you should insure yourself for the whole 12months because according to the iec website:

Q: What type of insurance must I buy before leaving for Canada?
A: IEC requires you to buy and maintain health-care insurance (covering medical care, hospitalization and repatriation) for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. We recommend that you buy this insurance only after you have received your Letter of Introduction, confirming that your IEC application was successful.
You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less than 12 months, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. In this case, you are not eligible to apply for an extension of your work permit at a later date.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
one final note and i'll leave you guys to go to sleep, i just paid the insurance (ouch!) and it covers me for repatriation to residence among others. total cost 1,128$ which is 868 euros... :'(

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Nice one, thanks again! Used the link you provided and found an insurance by Special Risks Chartis for $819, doesn't allow a trip break but should be ok! Will wait for the LOI and then proceed with it

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
And.....finally submitted my application, now we wait! ;D

By the way, although we had visited Toronto last year, we were looking for a smaller and more quiet city, so will be heading to Regina, SK, hope it turns out well 8)

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
beholder69 said:
And.....finally submitted my application, now we wait! ;D

By the way, although we had visited Toronto last year, we were looking for a smaller and more quiet city, so will be heading to Regina, SK, hope it turns out well 8)
i'm happy for you. you'll have the positive response in no time, judging from my experience.
if you can afford to start from a smaller city, go for it. although toronto is full of greeks and having the ability both yourself and your wife to work in canada you would be able to find jobs pretty easily.
i wish i could go further north, but i can't. i really liked edmonton, from what i've read online.