+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internation student marriage

maniinter

Mar 4, 2010
Hi, I have been in Canada for 3 years on student permit and its will expire on June 2010.
The thing is that I and my boyfriend decided to get married. We are in deep love and we want to get married so that we can live together.
I want to know that is same sex marriage is legal? Can international student; can do same-sex marriage? I am little worried :-[ because in my country same –sex marriage is not allowed, so I want to know how long it would take to get PR? And what if after getting married , if I go back to home country , would my marriage will considered legal.
I am confused please help me
Thanks
maniinter

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
You can get married in Canada as visitor/student/worker etc. Point is, you do not have to be citizen or PR to get married in Canada.
Canada recognized same-sex marriage, so it will be legal in Canada.
However I am not sure whether your marriage will be recognized in your home country. Each country has its own rules about marriage abroad.
Typically once you get married in Canada, you would register your marriage in home country so that it will be recognized there too.

maniinter

Mar 4, 2010
thanks imigrate for your reply
I want to know that, can I apply outland for PR, while i am in Canada on study permit, do i have to leave country if I apply from outland? Can’t I stay as student, till my PR is in process and how long will it take to get pr? What documents should I need for applying PR? Do I have to show my partner income? What other important things I need?

picasa

Mar 4, 2010
maniinter:

I'd be glad to help you out here as I went through the same situation that you're going through now. If you really want to marry your partner then do it sooner as it takes more than a year to get PR. So here how it goes...
- You and your partner get married.
- Apply for the marriage certificate(you'll need to submit it with other required documents for your PR application)
- Your partner needs to be Canadian citizen in order to sponsor you for your permanent residency. The guidelines and forms are available on Canadian Immigration website
- In the mean time, you should apply for a study permit extension if you haven't finished your studies yet. This will avoid your stay, having no sort of permit.(illegal)
- Submit your application with all the required documents like: Marriage certificate, Pictures of you and your partner(places you have traveled together, basically anything that identifies your relationship as genuine), Financial accounts(if you have any together), Any sort of proof(Rental lease, bills) that you live together, Reference letters from your friends, family(if you're out to them) witnessing your relationship status.... If you go through the whole guideline, it tells you everything like what documents to include n stuff.
- You'll be asked to submit your medical examination with your application too.
- Then comes the waiting... this could take a year or so as they do detailed background, security and medical check.

I hope that helps... Good luck! :)

I got mine after 1.5 year. You will not have any problems, don't worry! :)

maniinter

Mar 4, 2010
Picasa
Well thanks for your time. I have a question, did you apply PR inland? What if i apply outland Pr and at the same time I stay in Canada on study permit,is it legal to do that????????