+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intent to live in Canada for recent Oath ceremonies

Zarzor

May 25, 2015
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone who took did the oath recently noticed any change in the oath ceremonies after the new bill c-24 has come into effect. Like for example a new form that needs to be signed before the oath.
Or is the new rules applies for applications after June 2015?

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
Zarzor said:
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone who took did the oath recently noticed any change in the oath ceremonies after the new bill c-24 has come into effect. Like for example a new form that needs to be signed before the oath.
No, nothing such that. My wife took the Oath Aug 5th and the only things she signed were the presence form at the start, and the Oath on a paper at the end of the ceremony. I think only those who applied after june 11th who will have to fulfill this new requirement.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Zarzor said:
Hello everyone,
Some of the changes made by the SCCA apply to ALL applicants regardless of the date they applied. Some changes only apply to applicants whose application was made after June 11, 2015.

Provision requiring applicants to have an intent to continue to reside in Canada does NOT apply to anyone whose application was made before June 11, 2015. So no applicant whose application was made prior to June 11, 2015 will be required to declare an intent to reside in Canada, either as part of the application process or taking the oath.

The applicable prohibitions have, however, changed and apply to those who applied before June 11, 2015. All applicants are required to affirm none of the prohibitions (including pursuant to the changes) apply to them before taking the oath.

I cannot explain why Babi22's wife apparently did not have to sign the prohibitions form . . . I suspect that in fact she did and that Babi22 either overlooked or did not recall this . . . but of course I was not there, and what happens in individual cases varies. Nonetheless, prior to taking the oath generally all applicants must sign CIT 0039 (the declaration regarding prohibitions form, titled "Prohibitions Under the Citizenship Act"), which again refers to (incorporates) the changes prescribed by the SCCA and which took effect in June this year.

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
dpenabill said:
Some of the changes made by the SCCA apply to ALL applicants regardless of the date they applied. Some changes only apply to applicants whose application was made after June 11, 2015.

Provision requiring applicants to have an intent to continue to reside in Canada does NOT apply to anyone whose application was made before June 11, 2015. So no applicant whose application was made prior to June 11, 2015 will be required to declare an intent to reside in Canada, either as part of the application process or taking the oath.

The applicable prohibitions have, however, changed and apply to those who applied before June 11, 2015. All applicants are required to affirm none of the prohibitions (including pursuant to the changes) apply to them before taking the oath.

I cannot explain why Babi22's wife apparently did not have to sign the prohibitions form . . . I suspect that in fact she did and that Babi22 either overlooked or did not recall this . . . but of course I was not there, and what happens in individual cases varies. Nonetheless, prior to taking the oath generally all applicants must sign CIT 0039 (the declaration regarding prohibitions form, titled "Prohibitions Under the Citizenship Act"), which again refers to (incorporates) the changes prescribed by the SCCA and which took effect in June this year.
Yes, she did sign a prohibition form that she received by post mail along with her Oath invitation. In my replay I was just reffering to the intent to live in Canada form. So yes, there is only that form that you have to sign and take with you.