+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intended work in Canada - Job offer with open work permit & LMIA

b2bt

Nov 7, 2016
I completed by one year master's program on a one-year study permit and currently working on a one-year open work permit. I have a permanent job as a Senior Analyst, Social Media at one of the big-five banks in Canada. I have few questions regarding the Express Entry Application > Work History > Intended work in Canada Section

1. If I have an open work permit, what should be the answer to this question - yes or no?
Is your job offer from the employer named on the current work permit?

2. The LMIA question (Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?) appears twice. I think ideally the answer should be no but I don't want the officers to misunderstand that I'm working illegally/unethically

More Questions

3. Under my company, my job is categorized as a consultant. The dilemma is that my title is Senior Analyst, Social Media which means my NOC can be either 1123 or 1122. I believe my NOC should be 1122 as primarily my role is to consult on the social media activities. Also, my degree is master's in management analytics and not concentrated on marketing / social media

4. What should be the answer to the question: Contact address of employer or company?
I'm working for one of the top five banks as an analyst at one of their multiple (back-end) offices in Toronto. So, in this case, should I enter their actual headquarter address, just Toronto, or my office address

Below is the image of the questions asked in the Intended Work in Canada section

https://imgur.com/a/XNmwtOA

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 & 2 - You do not have a valid job offer so you must answer "no" to the very first question under the intended work section. All other questions will disappear, they do not apply to you.

4 - Office.

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
1 & 2 - You do not have a valid job offer so you must answer "no" to the very first question under the intended work section. All other questions will disappear, they do not apply to you.

4 - Office.
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand why the answer must be "no" for valid job offer when I actually have one and working at the place?
Wouldn't it be good for my profile to let them know that I'm permanently working in Canada already?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand why the answer must be "no" for valid job offer when I actually have one and working at the place?
Wouldn't it be good for my profile to let them know that I'm permanently working in Canada already?
I don't know your situation, OP most certainly does not possess a valid job offer.

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
I don't know your situation, OP most certainly does not possess a valid job offer.
Errr...that's my bad...I'm the OP but I didn't realize I had two accounts. I have a valid job offer - I'm working as Senior Analyst, Social Media for one of the top five banks in Canada. It's a permanent full-time job.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Errr...that's my bad...I'm the OP but I didn't realize I had two accounts. I have a valid job offer - I'm working as Senior Analyst, Social Media for one of the top five banks in Canada. It's a permanent full-time job.
You cannot possess a valid job offer while holding an open work permit, you can only have one with approved LMIA or with an employer-specific work permit (closed work permit).

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
You cannot possess a valid job offer while holding an open work permit, you can only have one with approved LMIA or with an employer-specific work permit (closed work permit).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disagree with you but this is a valid job offer.
I have a PGWP (post graduate work permit) so I do not require a LMIA. Hence, it's a valid job offer but I don't a have LMIA

Are you saying it is better to put "no" in this section and then mention about my current job in work history?
All I'm asking is that I'm currently working on an open work permit which I got after my post graduation. What is the best way to fill up this form?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disagree with you but this is a valid job offer.
I have a PGWP (post graduate work permit) so I do not require a LMIA. Hence, it's a valid job offer but I don't a have LMIA

Are you saying it is better to put "no" in this section and then mention about my current job in work history?
All I'm asking is that I'm currently working on an open work permit which I got after my post graduation. What is the best way to fill up this form?
It is not a valid job offer, I already explained why. You must answer "no" to the very first question. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

"if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"

tanwarkml

Jun 17, 2018
Canada
It is not a valid job offer, I already explained why. You must answer "no" to the very first question. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

"if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"
Hey man, thanks for clarifying. I see your point now. It should be "no".
My bad - I got it wrong the first time :)

newEEonOWP

Jan 31, 2018
I am in same situation. I am on Open work permit and working for IT Services company under NOC-A.
The problem is, I have recieved the invite in Dec 19th draw. I have not claimed 50 points for job offer.

Can anyone help me whether my answers are correct ? Since I have recieved the invite, while filling the application, I have a placeholder where I am supposed to provide "Offer of employment" letter. Please advise if any one with Open work permit have successfully got PR and how they went ahead with this.

Since the answer to the question "Is job offer from employer named on current work permit" is NO, I did not qualify to get 50 CRS points.

Below is what I have answered.

Does XXXX have a job offer in Canada?
The offer must
  • be for full-time and for at least one year
  • meet different requirements depending on type of job (i.e. some need apprenticeships and certification) and
  • be non-seasonal for Federal Skilled Workers.
Answer : YES.
Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?
Answer:No

Is XXXX currently working in Canada? (required)
Answer:Yes

Does XXXX have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?

Is XXXX's job offer from the employer named on the current work permit? (required)

Has XXXX been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?

Four digit NOC code of current work permit
Answer : 2174

Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?
Answer: No, My work permit is Exempt from an LMIA due to international agreement.

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
I am in same situation. I am on Open work permit and working for IT Services company under NOC-A.
The problem is, I have recieved the invite in Dec 19th draw. I have not claimed 50 points for job offer.

Can anyone help me whether my answers are correct ? Since I have recieved the invite, while filling the application, I have a placeholder where I am supposed to provide "Offer of employment" letter. Please advise if any one with Open work permit have successfully got PR and how they went ahead with this.

Since the answer to the question "Is job offer from employer named on current work permit" is NO, I did not qualify to get 50 CRS points.

Below is what I have answered.

Does XXXX have a job offer in Canada?
The offer must
  • be for full-time and for at least one year
  • meet different requirements depending on type of job (i.e. some need apprenticeships and certification) and
  • be non-seasonal for Federal Skilled Workers.
Answer : YES.
Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?

Is XXXX currently working in Canada? (required)

Does XXXX have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?

Is XXXX's job offer from the employer named on the current work permit? (required)

Has XXXX been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?

Four digit NOC code of current work permit
Answer : 2174

Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?
Answer: No, My work permit is Exempt from an LMIA due to international agreement.
So, first of all, do you have a job offer that meets the requirement of the job offer for that category? I assume you apply for FSW.