+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance for Working holiday Visa payable monthly (or by semester)

Ashleymt

Feb 5, 2016
Hello everybody.

I'm a french citizen living in France, with a 2 years Working Holiday Visa for Canada that can be activated anytime I step in the country.
The only thing that is left for me to to is subscribe to the obligatory health insurance.
So far so good. But up to now all the insurance companies that I came across require that the payment for the two years be done immediately, it's generally between 700 and 1800 euros, or 1000-2000CAD basically instead of allowing for monthly or periodic payment.
This wouldn't be a problem if Canadian immigration authorities were a bit flexible. If that was the case I'd get insurance for a few month, pay in one go, and renew it along the way.
But immigration authorities are not flexible: when arriving at the airport, your final Working Holiday Visa only lasts as long as your health insurance does.
So if your health insurance lasts three month, your supposedly 2 years long WHV will be reduced to three months with no possibility of extension.

So does anybody know of any health insurance company, from Canada or elsewhere, which allows to bypass this problem In other words which covers WHV yet allow for monthly or periodic payment?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I am asking because for professional reasons I am not sure yet of how long I will stay in Canada, I might only stay six month, I might stay for the two years. I will only know with time, I need to get there with the option of leaving the country prematurely and I don't want to pay extra health insurance for nothing.