+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

insurance for students?

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
Hey guys,

i just applied for my study permit and now i wait for my visa. I recenly read something that there exist special insurances for students. They mention a medical insurance plan, but is this special kind of insurance necessary or is my international travel insurance from my german insurance company enough?
Best regards.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
mmphoto said:
Hey guys,

i just applied for my study permit and now i wait for my visa. I recenly read something that there exist special insurances for students. They mention a medical insurance plan, but is this special kind of insurance necessary or is my international travel insurance from my german insurance company enough?
Best regards.
Medical Insurance is usually covered with the fees (check your college prospectus and website, its of $1200 or so) and it covers medical expenses from the date that your college session actually begins. If one lands before that one might have to arrange a medical insurance on his/her own till the college begins.

I am not sure if travel insurance covers your stay while you are studying (ie Medical Insurance), AFAIK it covers your to and fro journey (or either one way) only.

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
thanks for your fast reply,

the insurance is not covered by my college, unfortunely.
So am i able to apply for the provincial medical insurance or do i have to buy a private insurance?

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Which college is it?

Also I won't be able to answer that question, the best answer could be provided by the college that you shall be attending or by a senior member with similar experience.

Also a quote from the CIC website:

Health insurance

The Government of Canada does not pay for the medical costs of foreign students. Health coverage for foreign students varies among the provinces. Contact the school to which you are applying to receive more information about medical coverage and health insurance.
Also more about Health Insurance from the CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-health.asp

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
it´s actually a language school. LSC in vancouver.

ok thank you. so i have to apply for a private insurance. is it better to take a canadian one or does it not matter?

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
mmphoto said:
it´s actually a language school. LSC in vancouver.
Oh, alright.

Two quotes from the LSC along with links:

http://www.lsc-canada.com/faq3

If you do not have health insurance, or if your insurance plan does not cover all of your medical expenses, you can buy private insurance through LSC or an insurance sales office. Come and see us at the LSC office, and we'll be more than happy to help.
http://www.lsc-canada.com/insurance

Insurance

Students must have health insurance before the start of their classes at LSC. You may choose to purchase insurance through your agency, airline, employer or even through LSC.
So I suppose its alright if you purchase it once you have landed in Vancouver from LSC itself.

mmphoto

Oct 27, 2011
ok thank you :]
sounds good. i thought i have to buy one before i come to vancouver, but this way is even better and more comfortable for me :D

thanks again

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
mmphoto said:
ok thank you :]
sounds good. i thought i have to buy one before i come to vancouver, but this way is even better and more comfortable for me :D

thanks again
No problem and All the Best for the Study Permit.