+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiry about Hearing Procedure

Ahmed-Ali2020

Dec 17, 2019
Hi everyone, I’m new here and want your help.

I’m currently in Canada and today was my interview with judge. Let me explain my story first from the beginning. I’m from Palestine.

I was in USA from 2016 till April 2019 and applied for asylum there with my wife and my 2 children who have the US passport excluding my wife and me. The procedure for asylum in US usually takes long time and from 2016 till 2019 was no response from government for our application. Then I decided to go to Canada’s border to apply for asylum there. I was in Canada 10 April 2019 , one day piror the law of Canada changed about asylum seekers who applied in US, Uk, newzeland and Australia can’t accept their applications in Canada, The Canadian government gave me an appointment on 16/12/2019 , I thought it for hearing but it just was for eligibility for asylum or no? the judge focused on their government rule on April 2019 and at the end he said my case will be delayed !

My question is anybody know what will happen or anyone has the same situation, please need your advice!

Note: Once I arrived Canada, I canceled my asylum application in US

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, I’m new here and want your help.

I’m currently in Canada and today was my interview with judge. Let me explain my story first from the beginning. I’m from Palestine.

I was in USA from 2016 till April 2019 and applied for asylum there with my wife and my 2 children who have the US passport excluding my wife and me. The procedure for asylum in US usually takes long time and from 2016 till 2019 was no response from government for our application. Then I decided to go to Canada’s border to apply for asylum there. I was in Canada 10 April 2019 , one day piror the law of Canada changed about asylum seekers who applied in US, Uk, newzeland and Australia can’t accept their applications in Canada, The Canadian government gave me an appointment on 16/12/2019 , I thought it for hearing but it just was for eligibility for asylum or no? the judge focused on their government rule on April 2019 and at the end he said my case will be delayed !

My question is anybody know what will happen or anyone has the same situation, please need your advice!

Note: Once I arrived Canada, I canceled my asylum application in US
You really should be speaking to your lawyer. What you are doing is called asylum shopping. Where are your children and wife? Does your wife still have her US asylum application?

Reactions: jddd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My children and wife with me in Canada and for my wife application in US, we have canceled all applications.
Speak with your lawyer. Unfortunately we are seeing people be stuck in a form of limbo because of the new asylum shopping law from the US. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t consult a lawyer before coming to Canada. They would have warned you not to come. The fact that you had 2 US children also doesn’t help.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/asylum-seekers-feel-trapped-by-new-federal-rule-1.5304367