+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland VS outland sponsorship (Hong Kong)??

ericansm

Jul 26, 2022
Hi everyone!

We are about to finish preparing all the documents and we still can't make up our mind as to whether we should go for inland or outland sponsorship. Would be great if we could learn a bit about your stories too!

Some backstory:
I am the sponsor, and I moved to Toronto in late April this year. My husband accompanied me too, since he received a job offer with a start date in late July this year. He, however, was using the LMIA route (sponsorship by company) and we got advice from the in-house lawyer that the LMIA visa would come faster than spousal sponsorship approval. Since we were very busy with our prior jobs and we heard success LMIA stories, we naively believed the LMIA would be a safe route.

It was very disappointing that his LMIA visa has just been rejected by the Canadian government, and he does not have legal status to work in Canada now. We are living together now, but he is likely to leave Canada 3 months later when his tourist visa expires. Spousal sponsorship is the only way out and we wish we could get him legal status to work in Canada ASAP.

Inland application
Pros: Can apply for open work permit
Cons: May take much longer than 5 months to get the open work permit, since there is a lot of backlog in Canada

Outland application (Hong Kong)
Pros: Will be processed by the Hong Kong office and they are expediting applications from Hong Kongers. A few Youtube Hong Kong couples and 2 other couples that we know successfully got their PR within 6 to 8 months (from the window 2020 to 2022).
Cons: May take much longer than 8 months to get the PR status if we are unlucky.

Which stream do you recommend?? Thanks so much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do not know which you should choose nor recommend. But your comment that 'will be processed by HK office' (because outland) is wrong; either inland or outland can be processed by any office they like, and where you apply nor the type is not the final determinant.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My suggestion is .. do not try to "guess" the processing time and pick according to that guess. We've seen very fast inland and some ouland applications but there are too many factors to see a consistant pattern. You can take a look at some of the recent discussion (they are usually titled with Month Year inland/outland)

Choose one that is most suitable for your current situation. Your husband can apply to extend his stay before his initial 6 months visitor status expires. So he can continue to stay.

Inland, he does not need to travel back and with OWP application, he could obtain imply status (as visitor) and can continue to stay (after the application is received and initial accessment that the application is completed i.e. no missing form or document or signatures).
That's based on paper base application that includes OWP.

Outland, he can choose to return to homeland and possibly work there. But if he choose to stay in Canada as a visitor, he could also try to extend his visior status. Just that he cannot work until he obtain his PR status. (virtual landing is possible within Canada)

Chestermayday

Dec 19, 2015
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
I do not know which you should choose nor recommend. But your comment that 'will be processed by HK office' (because outland) is wrong; either inland or outland can be processed by any office they like, and where you apply nor the type is not the final determinant.
Good to know. Had there been any case that outland sponsorshio applicationa not getting trasferred out to the home country vo?