+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Visa Options When Open Work Permit Expires in Aug 2024

devisha2801

Feb 7, 2024
I have an open work permit, with my spouse being the primary applicant for the closed work permit (ICT). Spouse lost their job with the employer that initially sponsored the closed work permit and is currently a job seeker. These work permits expire in Aug 2024.

Our visitor visa (W-1) stamp expires in a few weeks and we intend to attend a relative's wedding in India in late May - so basically travel to India for a couple of weeks and then return to Canada to continue working or the same employer until my work permit is valid. I am currently employed by an Ontario-based employer but working remotely from home in BC in a NOC-C/TEER-3 level occupation.
So I am thinking about possibly applying for a new visa stamp just for myself - as that might be the best possible case. Am I right or wrong here? I think spouse's chances of rejection are high because of not having a job and their best bet is to stay back and continue looking for a new employer (PNP etc)

Is there a faint possibility of us applying together for a visa and getting approved?
There are plentiful doubts like these, since spouse was the primary applicant when we came here and I am not sure how IRCC takes these kinds of role reversals. I am quite certain that I cannot make myself the primary applicant unless my employer can do LMIA - but these are long term concerns.
Right now just looking for a way to go attend that wedding and come back. Maybe spouse applying separately for a visitor/tourist visa is another possible pathway but our minimum requirement is at least I should be able to go and come back and resume working.