Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
not requested:)
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
Hi All,

We are about to submit our application, with all supporting documents, etc.

I am Irish, she is Canadian. Ireland = visa exempt country, plus passport valid as visitor visa for 6 months.
We're 1 year in Canada together now, etc.
I have no work permit, need one asap.
We have various life events we will want to go to outside Canada over the next few years.

We want to be clear about the benefits/costs of Inland v. Outland.

INLAND - GOOD:
Right of Appeal

INLAND - BAD:
Very slow
Must remain in Canada for duration of PR application process

OUTLAND - GOOD:
Fast (applying thru London)
Can leave for life events....

OUTLAND - BAD:
... but [Low?] chance of Denial of Re-Entry.

1) Basically, I need to get working asap - Will a TWP be approved quicker INLAND or OUTLAND?
2) I am living off savings - a flight to London(ie OUTLAND process) for an interview would clean me out. If we apply INLAND there is no flight (duh), but the entire process is far far longer.
Should we take the chance that I will be called for an interview?
What can I do to reduce that chance?

Many thanks,
IA

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Are you married or applying for common law?

One item in your list is not quite right. Inland applicants have NO right of appeal, but outland applicants DO. A TWP will not affect processing times either way. A strong and complete application with lots of evidence of an ongoing and genuine relationship, no complications, convictions etc should lead to no need for an interview. They mostly call interviews if they have doubts about the relationship.

With inland processing you can apply for a work permit and will receive it after first round approval, typically 6-8 months, I've heard. Currently posted processing times show 80% of applications though London are processed within 8 months.

Two links to help you decide and build/present your evidence...

Processing times http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#europe
OP 2 Manual (the guide used to assess your application) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Best wishes, Allison

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
AllisonVSC said:
Are you married or applying for common law?
Common Law - 1 year together here in Canada, +2 previous years in Ireland.

AllisonVSC said:
One item in your list is not quite right. Inland applicants have NO right of appeal, but outland applicants DO. A TWP will not affect processing times either way. A strong and complete application with lots of evidence of an ongoing and genuine relationship, no complications, convictions etc should lead to no need for an interview. They mostly call interviews if they have doubts about the relationship.
Ahhh perfect, great.

AllisonVSC said:
With inland processing you can apply for a work permit and will receive it after first round approval, typically 6-8 months, I've heard. Currently posted processing times show 80% of applications though London are processed within 8 months.
Great,

AllisonVSC said:
Two links to help you decide and build/present your evidence...
Ahh very useful link!! Thank you very much!

Re the interview etc - we are thinking of recording a small interview with ourselves - this would be to show how we are together, answer a set list of questions normally posed to married couples by the CIC, and to describe our relationship.

Is there any point in this? Would they even watch it?

Thanks for the info!
IA

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Don't bother. They won't accept tapes, CDs, DVDs, or even photo albums or talking greeting cards.

Definitely use the OP 2 manual to decide what types of evidence to include, especially section 5.26 part b (even though it is specifically for conjugal partners). They want proof of your "interdependencies" proof of your living arrangements, and proof of your genuine and ongoing marriage-like relationship, and proof that you are recognized as a couple by friends and family. Three years of living together and lots of proof, and I don't think you will need to worry about being called to interview.

Leaning toward outland?
Processing times London (in months) 30% are processed in 2, 50% processed in 3, 70% processed in 6, 80% processed in 8

Allison

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neither inland or outland will get you a work permit asap but your average outland through London is done by 3 months (that's after 1 month or so in Mississauga approving sponsor) and inland can get you first stage approval and right of open work permit in 6-7 months. I would go for outland.

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
Great stuff, thanks guys!

btw, Is it possible to get threads stickied here? rather than constantly having to post the same questions?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, good idea to get some stickies up. There was a discussion about this a long time ago and some of the subjects now have stickies but I guess nobody's written one yet for family class. Maybe I'll start one now :)

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Leon said:
Yes, good idea to get some stickies up. There was a discussion about this a long time ago and some of the subjects now have stickies but I guess nobody's written one yet for family class. Maybe I'll start one now :)
Excellent idea...maybe a frequently asked questions thread.

Inland v outland, who is a family member v additional family members, how to (and who can) pay fees online, who needs to provide statutory declarations, what exactly has to be "officially" translated...I know there are a few others but I can't think of any of them at the moment. ??? Option C printout comes up a lot too.

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
heh oh there area MILLION questions out there!

adding one more, small detail - we're including bank statements in our application, but we dont feel terribly comfortable sending off this fairly sensitive financial information into the never-never land of bureaucracy....

ive just spent 20 mins cutting out our account numbers from the top of the statement pages - is this ok? or will CIC get all nitpicky and want the full statement, untampered?

we could still provide our numbers on a single sheet, or upon request.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
lol, for next time...make a copy and use a black permanent marker. Same thing if you want to edit out the more personal :-[ comments in emails, chats, etc. Allison

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
AllisonVSC said:
lol, for next time...make a copy and use a black permanent marker. Same thing if you want to edit out the more personal :-[ comments in emails, chats, etc. Allison
heh yah I tried the permanent marker but you could still feel the numbers on the page, and thus see them at certain angles.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
IrishApplicant said:
Re the interview etc - we are thinking of recording a small interview with ourselves - this would be to show how we are together, answer a set list of questions normally posed to married couples by the CIC, and to describe our relationship.

Is there any point in this? Would they even watch it?
They won't accept recordings. There is a place in the applications where they ask both the sponsor and the applicant to provide any further details to show their relationship is genuine. You could write whatever you wanted to say in the recording here.

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
canadianwoman said:
They won't accept recordings. There is a place in the applications where they ask both the sponsor and the applicant to provide any further details to show their relationship is genuine. You could write whatever you wanted to say in the recording here.
ah kk, cheers.

One further question...

After going through the OP2 manual, the forms and here online - re other family member sections.

-Read it one way, and CIC wants you to list your entire family.
-Read it another, and CIC only wants you to list those who are intending to possibly immigrate to Canada in the future.

Which interpretation is correct?

IA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On your PR application you must list your dependent children if you have any, no matter if they are coming with you to Canada or not. They can be listed as accompanying or not accompanying, they would need to have medicals to keep the option open to sponsor them later. You can not list any other family members on that form.

On your additional family information, you would list some more people such as parents and siblings but they are not a part of your application, they are just there for background info.

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
Leon said:
On your PR application you must list your dependent children if you have any, no matter if they are coming with you to Canada or not. They can be listed as accompanying or not accompanying, they would need to have medicals to keep the option open to sponsor them later. You can not list any other family members on that form.

On your additional family information, you would list some more people such as parents and siblings but they are not a part of your application, they are just there for background info.
Perfect answer, thank you!

IA