Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hi,
It seems the forum is generally recommending an Outland application instead of Inland because of processing times. I'm getting married next month and we are planning on submitting an Inland application because it offers the Open Work Permit, here are our particulars.

Me:
The Sponsor
Canadian born citizen
Currently residing in Canada

Her:
The Applicant
South Korean born citizen
Currently residing in Canada with me (since July)
Visitors Visa

If we file in October/November we should be informed about the OWP by February/March. If that is successful it seems like the processing times are not too important. Are we missing something?

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
georgensoo said:
Hi,
It seems the forum is generally recommending an Outland application instead of Inland because of processing times. I'm getting married next month and we are planning on submitting an Inland application because it offers the Open Work Permit, here are our particulars.

Me:
The Sponsor
Canadian born citizen

Her:
The Applicant
Visitors Visa

If we file in October/November we should be informed about the OWP by February/March. If that is successful it seems like the processing times are not too important. Are we missing something?
Please don't do inland. It is awful. You are stuck here. I applied inland July 2015 and heard nothing yet.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
I would also advise against inland.
Does your girlfriend plan on staying in Canada for the entire waiting period ( 2 years or more!)? Because it is advised not to leave Canada at all while your INLAND application is being processed. If she does leave, and denied re-entry for some reason, the application can be cancelled.

She can still stay in Canada on a visitor visa with an OUTLAND application. She will most likely need an extension at some point.

canjust

Sep 22, 2016
I was in a similar situation when I applied. Wife is a Canadian citizen, I am a Singapore citizen who has lived in Canada for 7 yrs (4 yrs study permit, 3 yrs Post-Graduate Work Permit). Despite the lure of the open work permit, we were advised by our immigration lawyer to go outland. Right after submitting the application, a close relative passed away, and I rushed home for the funeral. If we had done inland, the decision to pay my last respects would have been much harder due to the uncertainty of what would happen when I came back to Canada.

While they say that we are strongly advised to not leave the canada (until the application is done, which takes ~2 yrs), I assume the most of the time, it shouldnt be a problem. However, I didnt want to take the chance, as once they deny you entry, the entire application will be void (and there seems to be no information on what it takes to be denied. Furthermore, there is no ability to appeal the decision).

just a square

Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA 08-08-2016, AOR2 16-08-2016
Med's Done....
06-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-03-2017
Find out how long does it take for South Korean applicants who apply outland. There are some Korean members on this forum, you can check their timelines to get the idea. It probably won't take much longer compared to the time it'll take you to get OWP. That might make you lean towards outland option which in most cases is a lot better. Your spouse can stay in Canada even if you apply outland.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Look into wait times for Outland - South Korea. My friend was just approved, landed as a PR in 3 months (CPP-Ottawa), done working health care the whole works. That's faster than you'd get your OWP, and then you won't be stuck in Canada during the duration of the Inland process (You can't leave).

georgensoo

Feb 24, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Thanks everyone for all the info!
Seems like the current wait time for outland applications from South Korea is 13 months and since we are not too put out by staying in Canada during the processing time we will be going with the inland route. We should be submitting the application in the next couple of weeks here, I'll try to keep posting updates and events for anyone else who may be interested in how the process unfolds.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
georgensoo said:
Thanks everyone for all the info!
Seems like the current wait time for outland applications from South Korea is 13 months and since we are not too put out by staying in Canada during the processing time we will be going with the inland route. We should be submitting the application in the next couple of weeks here, I'll try to keep posting updates and events for anyone else who may be interested in how the process unfolds.
are you going by what is listed on the CIC website? if so, that is not an average, it represents that 80% of applications where processed WITHIN That time. That really means a majority of applications were processed in less time and more than likely the real time average is at least half that time. Almathea even posted her friend from South Korea landed in 3 months total time. I would HIGHLY Recommend finding the thread specific to South Korean applicants and asking what they are really experiencing. if SK applications are getting funneled to OTtawa, then there is a very good chance she could be completely approved in 6 months.

this thread may be helpful:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsoring-my-korean-wife-for-permanent-residency-t137874.2760.html

ifear

Jan 5, 2015
georgensoo said:
Hi,

Me:
The Sponsor
Canadian born citizen

Her:
The Applicant
Visitors Visa

other than the annoying being in the dark and getting no real information on how your app is being processed, its been a smooth decision for me. my husband (sponsor) and i (american applicant) decided it wasn't worth dealing with having to live in two different countries so we could both work or me being in Canada twiddling my thumbs for half a year doing nothing, making him support the both of us. Being able to work and exist with my husband has been worth the wait. I havent had to deal too much with my family being ill or needing to rush back to the states so luckily traveling hasn't been an issue. I really wonder how often people get turned away at the border.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
ifear said:
other than the annoying being in the dark and getting no real information on how your app is being processed, its been a smooth decision for me. my husband (sponsor) and i (american applicant) decided it wasn't worth dealing with having to live in two different countries so we could both work or me being in Canada twiddling my thumbs for half a year doing nothing, making him support the both of us. Being able to work and exist with my husband has been worth the wait. I havent had to deal too much with my family being ill or needing to rush back to the states so luckily traveling hasn't been an issue. I really wonder how often people get turned away at the border.
It does happen. For much the same reasons, my Russian wife and I (Canadian born) chose inland. Travelling 8600km for short visits was not worth it. She has been in Secondary and has had the 'talking to' with CBSA.

So, we felt (and were advised by a lawyer) that it may even strengthen our case, as we have cohabitated since before even filing (several months). She used the time without her OWP to execute many home improvements, so I wouldn't have to (my poor dad did!). Also she had her mother come to visit their Canadian family, and she's bonded well with immediate and extended family.

We also have had a reasonably smooth process so far. One document request (updated PCC) only. Otherwise my ATIP requests to see where the case is.

georgensoo

Feb 24, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Well it's done! We have sent off the application and will post updates for anyone else who may be considering the same route.

georgensoo

Feb 24, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
BTW, How do I update my signature? I've looked in the help section but the options shown there are not available in my profile.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
georgensoo said:
BTW, How do I update my signature? I've looked in the help section but the options shown there are not available in my profile.
I think you need to have a certain number of posts to be able to make certain changes in your profile...

georgensoo

Feb 24, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
02-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Ah yes, thanks CaroM8, it seems like 10 posts is the magic number!