+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2013

nyquist

Sep 28, 2013
Re: Study Permit (INLAND APPLICATIONS 2013)

applied4PR said:
Can I get the study permit without leaving Canada???? I thought foreign visitors have to go to their home country to get the study or work permit.
I recommend you to call CIC and ask If you can use the 'change of status' application to apply for a study permit (with a valid acceptance letter from a Canadian university/school)

nyquist

Sep 28, 2013
Cirene said:
I also live in Alberta and if you currently have an status in hand (student, visitor or work permit) you can apply for Alberta Health Care, plus if your husband has an Alberta Health Care Card you can be under his coverage.

All you need to do is call a registry and ask them :) I did that, twice and I have my Alberta Health Care Card
I am in Alberta too. I have a student permit from another province and am not eligible for Alberta Health Care Card. I pay $56 for every visit to a doctor! Luckily, my current private insurance reimburses everything.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
nyquist said:
I am in Alberta too. I have a student permit from another province and am not eligible for Alberta Health Care Card. I pay $56 for every visit to a doctor! Luckily, my current private insurance reimburses everything.
I called alberta health care yesterday and told me to extend my visitor visa if i want to avail of the ahcip. I will be a dependent of my hubby. Thats why i am i extending my visitor visa. I think it will be worth it considering the expenses to see doctors.

emmisocks

Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-08-2013

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
shyla36 said:
I called alberta health care yesterday and told me to extend my visitor visa if i want to avail of the ahcip. I will be a dependent of my hubby. Thats why i am i extending my visitor visa. I think it will be worth it considering the expenses to see doctors.
So i can be on my husband's AB health plan as his spouse, even on a visitor visa? I hae extended my visit visa till Dec. 2013.
Would it be easier to get health insurance if I get a study permit?

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013

nyquist said:
I recommend you to call CIC and ask If you can use the 'change of status' application to apply for a study permit (with a valid acceptance letter from a Canadian university/school)
Good Idea!

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
Cirene said:
I also live in Alberta and if you currently have an status in hand (student, visitor or work permit) you can apply for Alberta Health Care, plus if your husband has an Alberta Health Care Card you can be under his coverage.

All you need to do is call a registry and ask them :) I did that, twice and I have my Alberta Health Care Card
Good idea, thanks.

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
shyla36 said:
Shyla,what kind of insurance did u have earlier?

mrsc08

Star Member
May 26, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
Doc's Request.
09-01-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2013
Med's Request
09-01-2014
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
AIP: 23-03-2014
applied4PR said:
So i can be on my husband's AB health plan as his spouse, even on a visitor visa? I hae extended my visit visa till Dec. 2013.
Would it be easier to get health insurance if I get a study permit?
Either way works.. As long as you can prove that you are here in Alberta with immigration documents. Definitely yes for a visitor, and as for the student/work permit, it has to be under Alberta to qualify for AH. :)

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
mrsc08 said:
Either way works.. As long as you can prove that you are here in Alberta with immigration documents. Definitely yes for a visitor, and as for the student/work permit, it has to be under Alberta to qualify for AH. :)

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013

U have renewed my study permit probably 3 times while in school! I always applied from within canada and if I remember correctly it's vegreville who deals with study permits! So yes you can definitely do it from within canada as long as your study permit is still valid at the time you apply!
applied4PR said:
Can I get the study permit without leaving Canada???? I thought foreign visitors have to go to their home country to get the study or work permit.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
applied4PR said:
Shyla,what kind of insurance did u have earlier?
Yes mrsc08 is correct. You just need to show your passport, and your wife's health card then she can add you as dependent. The expiry is the same with your visa expiry. Any valid visa, (visitor, study, work permit) is ok. After your visa expires they give you a one time 90 day extension while awaiting should you decide to extend again. In my case, i am in the process of extending. Am doing this because my hubby included me in his benefits and I get same benefits as his BUT only if I have Alberta health card first.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
shyla36 said:
Yes mrsc08 is correct. You just need to show your passport, and your wife's health card then she can add you as dependent. The expiry is the same with your visa expiry. Any valid visa, (visitor, study, work permit) is ok. After your visa expires they give you a one time 90 day extension while awaiting should you decide to extend again. In my case, i am in the process of extending. Am doing this because my hubby included me in his benefits and I get same benefits as his BUT only if I have Alberta health card first.
Oops, i meant your husband :D

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
shyla36 said:
Can my common law partner sponsor me to get on his AB health card as well? I have two expired travel documents one IEC and one visa extension but they obviously aren't valid anymore.

shyla36

Sep 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
20-09-2013
Med's Done....
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
Line.a said:
Can my common law partner sponsor me to get on his AB health card as well? I have two expired travel documents one IEC and one visa extension but they obviously aren't valid anymore.
Hmm i think so because common law is almost same as spouse' (but of course am not sure so i am attaching this link for more info) hope this helps. I havent done my extension yet lol but has called 2x already alberta health care just to make sure that i get yhe right info so far both answers are the same so i just wanna make the most of it. I dont want to spend big bucks for medical expenses. They just said bring my passport with my new visitor record.