INLAND APPLICATIONS 2012

Penna7

Star Member
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Um-dunno says she is from USA. So she is either studies Russian in school, a russian decent or used google translate.

Do you speak russian, or ukrainian or both?

My sister-in-law is half ukrainian.

Screech339
Yeah...or russian who moved to USA first :) Sorry, um-dunno, we are just guessing here.
Screech, I speak russian and ukrainian but not so much. Does your sisiter in law speak ukrainian?

Penna7

Star Member
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
um_dunno said:
Russian is my native, I am originally from Ukraine. But I have US citizenship for few years now. And applying for PR in Canada. Imagine, finished one immigration process, started another one right away. Life is an interesting thing)
Oh, that`s great! russian is my native too, where is in Ukraine? I am from Sevastopol :) Anyway, good luck with your process, it`s all an experience, right?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Penna7 said:
Yeah...or russian who moved to USA first :) Sorry, um-dunno, we are just guessing here.
Screech, I speak russian and ukrainian but not so much. Does your sisiter in law speak ukrainian?
She speaks some ukrainian. Not much. She speaks French and english. Her father is French. She grew up in St. Paul's Alberta. I believe there are a lot of urkrainians there.

BTW; you guessed right about um-dunno.

Screech339

um_dunno

May 23, 2013
screech339 said:
I suppose you lost your Ukrainian citizenship when you became US citizen. I know you won't lose your US citizenship once you get canadian citizenship down the road.

Screech339
Yes, Ukraine does not allow double citizenship. I intend to keep my american passport. Will have to check the the rules of taxation in my situation.
I do not speak ukrainian fluently, I can understand though.
Penna, are you from Moscow? Dnepropetrovsk is where I lived before I moved to states.

Penna7

Star Member
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
She speaks some ukrainian. Not much. She speaks French and english. Her father is French. She grew up in St. Paul's Alberta. I believe there are a lot of urkrainians there.

BTW; you guessed right about um-dunno.

Screech339
Yeah, lot`s of ukrainians in Alberta, I was very surprised, but lot`s of other nationalities, it`s kind of cool to live in Canada and meet all the different cultures.
Ueah, I was right, it just took me to long to reply, lol :D

um_dunno

May 23, 2013
Penna7 said:
Oh, that`s great! russian is my native too, where is in Ukraine? I am from Sevastopol :) Anyway, good luck with your process, it`s all an experience, right?
Sorry, my mistake) Somehow I thought you were from Russia) Sevastopol, great.
Guys, thx for all your help, and information)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
um_dunno said:
Yes, Ukraine does not allow double citizenship. I intend to keep my american passport. Will have to check the the rules of taxation in my situation.
I do not speak ukrainian fluently, I can understand though.
Penna, are you from Moscow? Dnepropetrovsk is where I lived before I moved to states.
Unfortuately for you, as an US citizen, you have to file US taxes every year reporting all income including Canada every year until you renounce your american citizen.

Just a lot of hassle to do. I know this as I lived in US for 5 years and a lot of BS tax papers to file. Glad this year was my last year of filing US taxes. However will have to do these again when my 2 kids start working as they have american citizenships.

Screech339

canadaeh1234

Star Member
Oct 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 9, 2012
Med's Request
December 5, 2012
Med's Done....
December 10,2012
called CIC for a follow up for my landing date but it seems that Vancouver office waiting time is 3 months to get a landing appointment.

it's been 8 weeks of waiting already for me and no landing date yet.. guess all i have to do is be patient about it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canadaeh1234 said:
called CIC for a follow up for my landing date but it seems that Vancouver office waiting time is 3 months to get a landing appointment.

it's been 8 weeks of waiting already for me and no landing date yet.. guess all i have to do is be patient about it.
I feel for you. We waited 9 weeks before getting a landing letter from etobicoke.
My advice is to call them every week until you get a date set. We called them at 7 week and 8 week before they finally gotten a date for us.

Screech339

Penna7

Star Member
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Screech, print out info from the Service Canada website and going to show it to them next time I go apply for the SIN:

Permanent residents

You must provide one of the following primary documents:

Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada.

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or a travel document

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries

Record of Landing issued before June 28, 2002.

Verification of landing. This document is provided when an original of the Record of Landing or the Confirmation of Permanent Residence is not available (i.e. lost, misplaced, etc.).

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Penna7 said:
Screech, print out info from the Service Canada website and going to show it to them next time I go apply for the SIN:

Permanent residents

Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada.

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or a travel document

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries

Verification of landing. This document is provided when an original of the Record of Landing or the Confirmation of Permanent Residence is not available (i.e. lost, misplaced, etc.).
You could take it one step futher. When you go to Service Canada, pick up a copy of their brochure/booklet on how to apply for SIN. It would likely contain the same info and it would be very hard for agent to deny it when their booklet says you can.

Screech339

um_dunno

May 23, 2013
screech339 said:
Unfortuately for you, as an US citizen, you have to file US taxes every year reporting all income including Canada every year until you renounce your american citizen.

Just a lot of hassle to do. I know this as I lived in US for 5 years and a lot of BS tax papers to file. Glad this year was my last year of filing US taxes. However will have to do these again when my 2 kids start working as they have american citizenships.

Screech339
uff... I figured something like that .. more paperwork, my fav thing) Its ok though, at least its not nerve wracking, like the immigration red tape. We will decide in a future if I need my american passport or not.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
um_dunno said:
uff... I figured something like that .. more paperwork, my fav thing) Its ok though, at least its not nerve wracking, like the immigration red tape. We will decide in a future if I need my american passport or not.
You will need US passport to enter US. It is considered a felcony to enter US using other passports while being US citizen. I read a report that one person almost got charged for coming into US using a Canadian Passport while maintaining US citizenship (he is dual citizen). They let him go with a warning that next time he won't be so lucky. Only reason he was let go with warning was because he has been keeping up with his US tax filings, I believe, not 100% sure.

Screech339

Tomorisu

Apr 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Dec-'12
AOR Received.
21-Jan-'13
Med's Done....
02-Nov-'12
LANDED..........
28-Nov-'13
Hi Penna, Screech and everyone!

I wanted to know URL about the information which Penna found. Then I found this,

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/publication/soc_ins_num_eng.shtml

Social Insurance Number December 2007
What documents must I provide?
If you are a permanent resident, provide one of the following documents issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

・Permanent Resident Card (this is the only acceptable document if you applied for your permanent residency from within Canada);
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil (sticker) in foreign passport;
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on Single Journey Document for Resettlement in Canada;
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Travel Document;
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on Red Cross Travel Document;
・Record of landing.

:( ??? I'm confused. So, CoPR is OK for getting SIN? Or NO?
Penna, could you tell us the URL you found?

Penna7 said:

Permanent residents

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Tomorisu said:
Hi Penna, Screech and everyone!

I wanted to know URL about the information which Penna found. Then I found this,

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/publication/soc_ins_num_eng.shtml

Social Insurance Number December 2007
What documents must I provide?
If you are a permanent resident, provide one of the following documents issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

・Permanent Resident Card (this is the only acceptable document if you applied for your permanent residency from within Canada);
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil (sticker) in foreign passport;
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on Single Journey Document for Resettlement in Canada;
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Travel Document;
・Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on Red Cross Travel Document;
・Record of landing.

:( ??? I'm confused. So, CoPR is OK for getting SIN? Or NO?
Penna, could you tell us the URL you found?
You have a good point. The link we found is here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

It does say "this is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada." in the link.

However i do find it unfair that those who applied inland would have to wait for PR card to apply while those who came from outside Canada to be able to apply right away with just COPR. Doesn't make any sense.

If in the event we do get denied, we would go to another service office and apply there until we get SIN number. Not sure how we would get denied if our letter says they can assist us in getting SIN. We will bring letter with us as well.

Screech339