+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2012

um_dunno

May 23, 2013
screech339 said:
Yes the landing letter is the landing appointment. It will come to you by snail mail. Not email. The letter will contain directions what to do like pay fees, if applicable, bring valid passport, any immigration papers and the like. It will give you a specific day and time. So show up early enough before your interview time. If you missed it, they will reschedule you again. Bring appointment letter with you to show at reception.

After landing and getting your Perm SIN, only thing left to do is wait for your PR card to arrive in the mail, about 70 days after you land.

Screech339
Ok, thanks again. I will keep you updated, for the spreadsheet.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anndreea said:
Hi guys. I called today to Immigration and I ask them if I can apply for OWP and if it's possible to work until they make a decision in my PR application....and the answer was NO, I can't work . And I told him that I find an information that I can apply for OWP and work since first stage is approved, until DM....and he said I can apply for work permit like other people, and I need an employer ,LMO .....
So, that means I must wait...and wait...... :(
That depends on what kind of visa you were on when you submitted your sponsorship. If you were on a vistor visa, then you cannot work until you get OWP status. If you were on a work permit, excluding IEC, PGWP, you would have been able to continue working for the same employer until OWP is granted.

If you haven't applied for OWP, you can apply for it but you won't be able to get it until you get AIP status. You will get an email informing you of this saying you won't qualify until you pass first stage, approved in prinicple, for inland sponsorship.

Screech339

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
anndreea said:
Hi guys. I called today to Immigration and I ask them if I can apply for OWP and if it's possible to work until they make a decision in my PR application....and the answer was NO, I can't work . And I told him that I find an information that I can apply for OWP and work since first stage is approved, until DM....and he said I can apply for work permit like other people, and I need an employer ,LMO .....
So, that means I must wait...and wait...... :(
Are you applying inland? If you are applying inland and have been approved for Stage 1 otherwise known as Approved in Principle, then yes, you the applicant can apply for an open work permit and you will be approved for it. Just provide them a receipt that Stage 1 is approved along with your open work permit application and you should be good to go.

If you are applying outland, then no, you can't get an open work permit until you are officially an permanent resident.

I hope that helps!

anndreea

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
12-06-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
AIP+DM: 24-10-2013
LANDED..........
21-11-2013
I apply Inland....on December 3,2012.....my first stage wasn't aproved yet.....but It doesn't t matter anymore he said me very clear that I can't work until the will send me something in that way

anndreea

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
12-06-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
LANDED..........
21-11-2013
I show you old post to understand what I mean:

Quote from: anndreea on August 15, 2013, 09:37:46 am
I am trying to figure out if in my case I can apply for owp ...
Like I said , I'm not a skilled worker, I don't have a potential employer, and for now I have implied status (my visitor status expired and I applied for extension).
and I don't know if it worth it .... because if the time between AIM and DM is almost the same as the processing time for wop.....then is not worth it.
I really don't know what to do...(God...I'm sick and tired of this...)
Maybe I will send them an email and ask an opinion.

It doesn't matter if you are a skilled worker or not, or you have a potential employer or not. You would be able to apply for any job as everyone else with your OWP. There are cases where an applicant has received an AIP/OWP same time only to get a DM status a month or 2 later. Then the money is wasted. Not justified but you can't always expect to get a DM a month or two after AIP. Average 2nd stage is 8 months. So you could be sitting on your ass for 8 months or longer. So it is a bit of a gamble. It was easy for us to decided not to get OWP when you have 2 kids to look after. If we didn't have any kids to look after, I would have had applied for OWP regardless so that my wife can have option to look for work while waiting for PR.

One way to look at it from money point of view. OWP cost 150. A visitor visa extension cost 75. If we applied for OWP instead of visitor visa extension, we really spent 75 more and for 75 more, my wife can work comparing to spending 75 for visa extension. Either way we took we would be spending 75 for extension. For another 75 more my wife can work. Since you already applied for visitor extension, you spent 75. Now if you apply for OWP, you're spending another 150 on top of the 75 already spent on visitor extension totally 225.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anndreea said:
I show you old post to understand what I mean:

Quote from: anndreea on August 15, 2013, 09:37:46 am
I am trying to figure out if in my case I can apply for owp ...
Like I said , I'm not a skilled worker, I don't have a potential employer, and for now I have implied status (my visitor status expired and I applied for extension).
and I don't know if it worth it .... because if the time between AIM and DM is almost the same as the processing time for wop.....then is not worth it.
I really don't know what to do...(God...I'm sick and tired of this...)
Maybe I will send them an email and ask an opinion.

It doesn't matter if you are a skilled worker or not, or you have a potential employer or not. You would be able to apply for any job as everyone else with your OWP. There are cases where an applicant has received an AIP/OWP same time only to get a DM status a month or 2 later. Then the money is wasted. Not justified but you can't always expect to get a DM a month or two after AIP. Average 2nd stage is 8 months. So you could be sitting on your ass for 8 months or longer. So it is a bit of a gamble. It was easy for us to decided not to get OWP when you have 2 kids to look after. If we didn't have any kids to look after, I would have had applied for OWP regardless so that my wife can have option to look for work while waiting for PR.

One way to look at it from money point of view. OWP cost 150. A visitor visa extension cost 75. If we applied for OWP instead of visitor visa extension, we really spent 75 more and for 75 more, my wife can work comparing to spending 75 for visa extension. Either way we took we would be spending 75 for extension. For another 75 more my wife can work. Since you already applied for visitor extension, you spent 75. Now if you apply for OWP, you're spending another 150 on top of the 75 already spent on visitor extension totally 225.

Screech339
What I said in old post is still true. It is all up to each person's peferences. It is a gamble to apply for OWP as you could get DM 1 week or 1 month or 8 months later. . It is all up to each person. Everyone has a different reason for applying or not.

But for CIC to tell you that you cannot apply for OWP after getting AIP is total BS. You have a right to apply for OWP after you get AIP. The AIP email will tell you that you qualify for OWP should you want to apply.

Screech339

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Yep, as Screech says, the AIP letter says right in it that you can apply for OWP. From my AIP letter (bold added by me):

This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law
partner in Canada class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident
status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. However, a final
decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident
have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you
and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not
applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you
and all your family members have met these requirements.

You may now apply for an open work permit, which will allow you to work in the occupation and
location of your choice.
You may also apply for a study permit. If applying for a study permit
please ensure you include a letter from the educational institution you plan to attend. The letter
should outline the type of course or program for which you are registered, the start date and the
expected completion date. To obtain the correct forms please visit the Citizenship and
Immigration Canada Internet web site at [http://www.cic.gc.ca] or contact the Immigration Call
Centre at the number indicated below.

Passports for yourself and your family members must be valid for the duration of your stay in
Canada.

anndreea

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
12-06-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
LANDED..........
21-11-2013
you said that it doesn't matter if you have a potential employer or not.......and he told me that I need an employer to apply for OWP, LMO and other usual stuff for work permit. ( and of course, first stage aproved).
and i saw that a lot of people send the OWP aplication with PR......and I tought that it will be better for me to send the aplication, and when they will approve first stage, they will give me the right to work....
anyway...he told me that when I will be eligible to work, they will notice me .......so, I will waith for first stage aprovement, and see what to do next

anndreea

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
12-06-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
LANDED..........
21-11-2013

maldita

Jan 20, 2012
Anyone from 2011 here?

My application's taking forever. I have a non-accompanying dependent from the Philippines. Here's my timeline..

Application received: July 20, 2011
Started processing: August 12, 2011
Medical results received.
Transferred to Etobicoke (without AIP) January 17, 2012
AIP April 26, 2012
Non-accompanying dependent was asked for medical in July 2013
Non-accompanying dependent completed medical first week of August 2013.
Non-accompanying eCas shows medical results received after 2 weeks.
I was asked to re-do my medical and I completed it second week of August 2013.
Still in process...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anndreea said:
you said that it doesn't matter if you have a potential employer or not.......and he told me that I need an employer to apply for OWP, LMO and other usual stuff for work permit. ( and of course, first stage aproved).
and i saw that a lot of people send the OWP aplication with PR......and I tought that it will be better for me to send the aplication, and when they will approve first stage, they will give me the right to work....
anyway...he told me that when I will be eligible to work, they will notice me .......so, I will waith for first stage aprovement, and see what to do next
What he said about having LMO or employer job offer to qualify for OWP is totally B*LLSH*T.

You can apply for OWP without any limitation, short of being a prostitute or working a massage palor (some OWP does say this), once you get AIP. You can even apply online for faster processsing.

BTW the prostitute/massage part was not directed to you. It was meant as poke at the actual limitiations of OWP, despite saying you can do any job. There was previous comments (a few) that said to have that limits written on the OWP visa.

Screech339

anndreea

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
12-06-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
LANDED..........
21-11-2013
I send them an email about 3 weeks ago....and they didn't answer...that's why I call today.....maybe someone else will respond on email and will said a different thing...haha

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anndreea said:
I send them an email about 3 weeks ago....and they didn't answer...that's why I call today.....may someone else will respond on email and will said a different thing...haha
Don't be surprised by that. You call CIC 3 times today, get 3 different agents telling you 3 difference answers. It is very fustrating to say the least for some on the receiving end of the call.

Screech339

anndreea

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
Doc's Request.
17-01-2013
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
12-06-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Interview........
LANDED..........
21-11-2013
it's not normal ...but with them, everything it's possible.

Beninoise

Nov 14, 2012
Hello, I am a fairly new forum member and jut wondering if anyone could answer these questions for me: (CIC on phone has told me different things) And btw, I am the sponsor sponsoring my spouse from Uganda :)

1. Can the OWP be applied for only on inland apps? I was told by one CIC rep that we could also apply for it on outbound apps but two other reps said no.
2. If we apply for the inland app, can my husband still travel back to Uganda? I've been told it's risky because if they refuse him entry back into Canada, we void our app, but he has a TRV that is good for 4 years. We are just thinking, since his Grandmum has health issues and he is her primary caregiver, that he may need to go back.
3. I was also told by a CIC rep that this 4-year TRV my husband received is actually only good for 6 months at a time but there is no indication of this on the visa itself or on any document we have received. What is that all about? How sure can we be with this TRV that he'll be allowed into Canada again? He is currently back in Uganda after visiting for a month.

I am so ready to send our app away but feeling confused as to which way to go. Unfortunately for us, Nairobi has the highest processing times for family sponsorship PRV apps so either we wait 26 months in separate countries, or we try to apply inland with the hope of getting the OWP so my hubby can work and we can be together, just need assurance really that he would be able to leave and come back