App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
I'm suddenly realizing that my medicals could be stuck in some mail sorting facility. :eek:

Hopfully it was mailed on June 10th, but possibly after the weekend. Medical tests take about 10 days to finish, I did them on June 1st, so they should be done on June 11th. The doctor mentioned he would have them by the weekend and he would call me if there would be something wrong or unexpected. No call, but if they finished the test later then Friday, they would be in the mail on Monday for Ottawa. I sent some mail that weekend too (to CIC), so it was processed on Monday, but it's stuck and never left Québec City!!

How can I check this?

sarahLDC

Star Member
Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jurjen said:
I'm suddenly realizing that my medicals could be stuck in some mail sorting facility. :eek:

Hopfully it was mailed on June 10th, but possibly after the weekend. Medical tests take about 10 days to finish, I did them on July 1st, so they should be done on June 11th. The doctor mentioned he would have them by the weekend and he would call me if there would be something wrong or unexpected. No call, but if they finished the test later then Friday, they would be in the mail on Monday for Ottawa. I sent some mail that weekend too (to CIC), so it was processed on Monday, but it's stuck and never left Québec City!!

How can I check this?
Hi Jurgen,
Check with the med.center, was it done June1? and enquire also if the med. center sent the result by CanPost or they had it on file to be mail after the strike is over.

sarahLDC

Star Member
Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
komar said:
You can try going to the local CIC office and asking them when to expect landing by as Canada post is on strike. Thats what we did.
That is good idea Komar, I'm going to the local CIC office tomorrow with hubby. I have another issue to ask since its been a week we received DM from Ecas and no post mail for hard copy.
We called CIC agent today enquiring about my OWP and if we could apply now for temp. SIN in Service Canada. She said approval of AIP and OWP were sent together on June 13, 2010.
She said that I could start looking for job since it has the temporary SIN no. located right side above the OWP and she gave me my temp SIN No. Starts with the U9xxxxxxxx and will expire June 2012, no need anymore to get one from Service Canada? and to wait for call from local office here in Edmonton.

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sarahldc submitted her application on Sept 9 and got a decision on June 13...

I submitted mine Sept 14 and still no decision....

:( why...?

sarahLDC

Star Member
Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone, I found this "Audrey Prenzel resume writing tips" here in the Forum we could apply .

She quote:
As if making the decision to move to a new country isn't enough change, learning the specifics about creating job search documents can be another challenge. It's a new and exciting time but perhaps a little confusing too. As you plan your first career move into Canada's job market, I'd like to share 10 important tips to help you create effective marketing material as a newly landed Canadian.

1. Name game
We use the word “résumé”, (sometimes spelled “resumé” or “resume”). Like the US, the only time we use the term “CV” is for a doctor, professor or scientist. The sole exception to this is with the English speaking population in the Province of Quebec. In Quebec, they use the term “CV” to mean what the rest of Canada and the US would call a “résumé”.

2. Paper size
Like the US, we use Letter Size paper (8 ½ x 11). Make sure you adjust your formatting to coincide with this if your documents were prepared in a country where the page setting was set to A4.

3. Length
Two page résumés are pretty much standard for mid to senior level professionals. Occasionally, a three page résumé is warranted. New grads and career changers should try to keep it to one page in length.

4. Personal information
No personal information such as age, religion, marital status, or political views is used here. In fact, documents that are received by HR personnel containing this information will usually end up being discarded. We don't even use titles indicating male or female (i.e. Mr. or Mrs.). This is a good time to add that personal photos are not used here on résumés. They can be used to disqualify your application if included.

5. Tone
As uncomfortable as it may seem for those new to this country, the tone of the writing in Canada is quite confident. Briefly mention some of your core job responsibilities in the work experience section. Most of the writing should be devoted to accomplishments. Take note that each achievement has to be quantified. Prove everything you say.

To help you with this, here is a weak, unsubstantiated achievement: “Worked on an email server consolidation project.”

Now have a look at the same information with more details and quantifiable points to build value for a potential employer: “Completed a large-scale and complex email server consolidation project. Personally consolidated 12 email servers housing 10000+ users into just 5 mail servers, without compromising service levels. This generated savings of $21K (45%) per month.

6. Content
The career experience is reverse chronological. New grads have their education listed near the beginning of the document whereas seasoned workers have it listed towards the end. And just like the US, we use opening marketing titles (objective), summaries, key word sections, work experience, and technical skills, publications, volunteerism, and professional affiliations.

7. Bilingualism
If you are ESL (English as a Second Language) then you certainly have something to showcase in your documents. It makes sense though to specify what the second language is other than English. Many people here speak French and many others speak other languages. Say “Bilingual English / French” or “Bilingual English / German” in the résumé. We are culturally diverse and so are our languages so please don't make the reader guess which other language you speak.

8. Hobbies
For the most part, personal interests and hobbies are not a very big deal to the Canadian hiring manager. The exception to this would be a candidate vying for a role in perhaps the education or social services sectors. Devoting space to technology skills or community involvement is by far, a better bet in terms of marketing yourself.

9. Keep the spelling Canadian eh?
Our spelling practices differ from US and the UK/Australia formats. This surprises many people. We use a blend of both US and UK spelling systems. Here is a useful website for your reference which details the differences: http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

(A note about cover letters. It is expected, for the most part, that a cover letter will be submitted with the résumé. There is always a slight chance that some recruiters and decision makers may not look at it but nonetheless, including one is advisable. It should never exceed one page and this is where you can include subjective information you want to share such your eligibility to work in Canada, why you are applying for that role, and what makes you the ideal candidate. It should match the résumé in formatting.)

Proof Read
Remember to proof read all of your documents extensively and then get somebody else to review them. Spelling errors will most likely deter any offers for an interview.

It is completely acceptable (and smart) to apply to places you want to work at even if you do not see a job posting. We call this “cold calling”. Stay ahead of the competition by sending a cover letter and résumé indicating your eagerness to work for a specific company before they advertise.

Hopefully this eases part of the transition to Canada's job landscape. Stay positive and keep at it until you have been offered an interview. Best of luck!

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
^ apart from that authors are not very keen on seeing their copyrighted articles copied like this (just keep a summary and a link to the original). I don't agree with everything she states.

Audrey Prenzel said:
5. Tone
[..]
To help you with this, here is a weak, unsubstantiated achievement: “Worked on an email server consolidation project.”

Now have a look at the same information with more details and quantifiable points to build value for a potential employer: “Completed a large-scale and complex email server consolidation project. Personally consolidated 12 email servers housing 10000+ users into just 5 mail servers, without compromising service levels. This generated savings of $21K (45%) per month.
The second version is way too long. Rather go for the in-between, such as: "Completed a large-scale email server consolidation project for 1000+ users and made them 45% more cost effective."

Audrey Prenzel said:
7. Bilingualism
If you are ESL (English as a Second Language) then you certainly have something to showcase in your documents. It makes sense though to specify what the second language is other than English. Many people here speak French and many others speak other languages. Say “Bilingual English / French” or “Bilingual English / German” in the résumé. We are culturally diverse and so are our languages so please don't make the reader guess which other language you speak.
Just state: "Languages: English, French, German, Russian, Chinese." Include only languages you can properly communicate in. Start with English (if it's an anglophone position), then French (if you speak it), then your mother tongue (if different from English and French), then any other languages.

Audrey Prenzel said:
9. Keep the spelling Canadian eh?
MS Word has a special English Canadian dictionary/spelling check.

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
sarahLDC said:
Check with the med.center, was it done June1?
Thanks for the reply. Oops, yes it was done on June 1st, not July.

kiwikris

Oct 23, 2010
Ottawa, On
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville and Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
25-10-10
Med's Done....
18-09-2009
LANDED..........
08 Sep 2011
abc3896 said:
yeah i think u will hear good news soon! at least you have AIP. anyway, good luck!
Yes good to have AIP but not holding my breath for anything else...it's been too long. Thank you though! :)

Teriskier

Star Member
Jun 22, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2010
Med's Done....
14-06-2010
whiteapple said:
Sarahldc submitted her application on Sept 9 and got a decision on June 13...

I submitted mine Sept 14 and still no decision....

:( why...?
Whiteapple don't fret, I am Sept. 13 and still have not heard anything either. If you have checked the CIC website recently they are processing applications submitted on or After Sept. 7th, our time is coming VERY VERY soon....we may even hear by the end of day tomorrow or early next week!

pepe261

Star Member
Apr 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-Nov-2010
Interview........
1-Dic-2011
Good morning folks!

I have to admit that I was expecting CIC to move more than 8 days, but it is OK. Now, I was wondering if LY could update the chart with the applications that have been approved.... Sorry for bothering!

Cheers

Pepe

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
pepe261 said:
Good morning folks!

I have to admit that I was expecting CIC to move more than 8 days, but it is OK. Now, I was wondering if LY could update the chart with the applications that have been approved.... Sorry for bothering!

Cheers

Pepe
Sure thing! I will try to do it tonight. May take a while to finish it as I have a lot of pages to sort through but I will try to have it finished by the end of the day. :)

lhet_sept2010

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2010-09-12
LANDED..........
23-09-2011
hey guys, I got a new update from E-cas today.

sponsorship application status : Decision Made
Permanent Residence App Status: In Process

Sponsor: We received your application to sponsor lhet on September 15, 2010
We started processing your application on June 20, 2011

We sent you a letter on June 20, 2011 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Permanent Residence:We received lhet application for PR on Sept 15, 2010.
We started processing lhet application on November 3, 2010.
A decision has been made and lhet will be contacted.

visita44

Jun 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 4, 2011
Med's Done....
Jan 27, 2011
Interview........
Mar 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Mar 13, 2012
Hi Everybody,

I'm just a lurker here and never submitted my application yet. Just want to know if I need fingerprints to get a Police certificate in Canada where I stayed for 2 years and if fingerprints should be included on the application for inland? Any replies would be appreciated from anybody.

Good luck for all of us ! Thanks...

lhet_sept2010

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2010-09-12
LANDED..........
23-09-2011
visita44 said:
Hi Everybody,

I'm just a lurker here and never submitted my application yet. Just want to know if I need fingerprints to get a Police certificate in Canada where I stayed for 2 years and if fingerprints should be included on the application for inland? Any replies would be appreciated from anybody.

Good luck for all of us ! Thanks...
hi visita!

I included mine in the package...
good luck to your application ;)

timeline:
application sent: sept 12, 2010
application received: sept 15, 2010
application start processing on Nov 3, 2010
decision made: june 20, 2011

sarahLDC

Star Member
Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Teriskier said:
Whiteapple don't fret, I am Sept. 13 and still have not heard anything either. If you have checked the CIC website recently they are processing applications submitted on or After Sept. 7th, our time is coming VERY VERY soon....we may even hear by the end of day tomorrow or early next week!
Yes whiteapple,you and teriskier very soon. Keep on checking your E-cas from time to time since the update will just pop in. Me and hubby on way now to CiC local office enquiring if we could get copy of letter they sent this time CanPost on strike. I will update you later