+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information, suggestions and help needed!

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
Hi,

I'm posting on this forum again because nothing has changed since last time and I hope I'll have some help from other people about my situation.

I sent my citizenship application in October 2009. They started processing it in September 2010. My file was transfered to the Montreal Office in November 2010. I passed the test in January 2011 and still waiting.
The imigration agents are no much help since they tell me the same thing over and over again (I call each 2 to 3 months) that it's still "in process". Last October I was told they were doing the criminal and background checks since they expired. Called a few weeks ago and they agent told me they are still waiting from other agencies. I asked if there is anything I can do or if they need more information or documents and she said "no".
I've contacted my MP and they did make the phone calls but nothing different there either. I was thinking maybe I should get a lawyer? I'm just so frutrated not knowing what's going on and why are they doing all the checks again? I was told they expire and they have to be done every year but if it's taking so long, then by the time they get the results it will expire again!

I come from an European country and have no criminal records. Never broke the law. Always worked hard and even got promoted in my field.
I might be wrong but I think it's all because of my ex sending letters to immigration suggesting I have committed a fraud. If they would invite me for another interview than I could at least prove my innocence but can never talk to anyone directly!

Please help me understand if this is normal and then I will relax and just continue waiting but my cousin and my best friend sent their application much later and they got their citizenship already.

Thank you! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it is very common waiting so long after passing the test. I waited a long time before getting to the test and I have no idea why. Frankly I was starting to think they had lost my application but if they did, they found it again and called me for the test and 2 months later the oath.

In your case, it is possible that it is your ex. You can try discussing this with a lawyer but if they really suspect you of fraud, there is nothing much you can do but wait until they clear you, however long it takes.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nmc88,

1. What fraud is your ex raising - did he/she sponsor your PR?

2. Your background, security and immigration checks are out of sync so risk of never having them all valid at the same time - this means application in process for years!

3. Get your GCMS notes via an ATIP request to see what's happening with the application.

4. Get some quotes from lawyers for a Mandamus writ against CIC - if successful CIC will have to give you a yes or no answer in a time specified by the courts.

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Nmc88,

1. What fraud is your ex raising - did he/she sponsor your PR?

2. Your background, security and immigration checks are out of sync so risk of never having them all valid at the same time - this means application in process for years!

3. Get your GCMS notes via an ATIP request to see what's happening with the application.

4. Get some quotes from lawyers for a Mandamus writ against CIC - if successful CIC will have to give you a yes or no answer in a time specified by the courts.
Msafiri , could you please explain point 2 above?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applicant needs all checks to be completed and valid prior to oath. If the checks go out of sync because one is delayed in processing usually security check and immigration check (where they verify your PR application and acquisition) then applicant ends up in a scenario where not all checks are valid at the same time...loop of say criminal check expiring then being repeated then by time its ok the security check has expired...security check repeated and in the meantime criminal check expires etc...hope that clears it.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Msafiri said:
Applicant needs all checks to be completed and valid prior to oath. If the checks go out of sync because one is delayed in processing usually security check and immigration check (where they verify your PR application and acquisition) then applicant ends up in a scenario where not all checks are valid at the same time...loop of say criminal check expiring then being repeated then by time its ok the security check has expired...security check repeated and in the meantime criminal check expires etc...hope that clears it.
Hi ,
Thank you for the insight .

Would you like disclosing what is the difference between criminal & security checks?I always thought them to be the same or done by the same authorities at the same time ?

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newcomer said:
Hi ,
Thank you for the insight .

Would you like disclosing what is the difference between criminal & security checks?I always thought them to be the same or done by the same authorities at the same time ?

To add to newcomers questions Is there an expiry date for immigration check. Who do i get to find if this situation applies to me? What is the ideal solution?