+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information about Travels: Form IMM 5562

trihard2014

Jun 9, 2014
Hi,

While filling up the form that needs all my travel details in the past 10 years.
My situation: I have been residing outside my country of origin for last 5 years.

Do I need to fill in all the yearly trips that I took, back to my country of origin for 3-4 weeks ? OR fill it the other way as a 'WORK VISIT' for 10-11 months, per year ?

OR just keep it simple, and mention my stay in the country of residence for last 5 years ?

Appreciate a response.

Apr 24, 2014
I also have the same question. What will happen if you are living abroad but travelling to different cities within the same country? I do not remember travelling to all cities exact dates.

Reactions: Amritha Raveendran

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
The form asks for all trips you "have taken outside your country of origin or of residence in the last ten years".

I took this to mean that the "or" is exclusive and your home location is EITHER country of origin OR country of residence (if you are applying from a country you're not a citizen of). Therefore, I filled in the form with all trips out of my current country of residence and I included all trips back to my country of nationality.

Needless to say, I needed to add more than one sheet of paper to capture it all and it's just another situation where the forms aren't especially clear or well-designed.

If I were in your situation, I would split the travel list up into two sections of five years each. The first section would be all trips taken out of my current country of residence - including any trips to country of origin. The second section would be a list of all trips taken out of my country of origin (including any trips to current country of residence). I would include headers for each section of my travel list to make it clear what I'd done.

teddydeeps

May 1, 2014
hi trihard

assuming your country of residence is the vo you have choosen?

dont complicate things. list your travel details in chronological
order. there should be a one to one correspondence to the stamping on your passport.
at any given time you were either in your home country or resident country.. that has to be clearly indicated in the timeline for the last ten years.

all the best.

td.

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
teddydeeps said:
hi trihard

assuming your country of residence is the vo you have choosen?

dont complicate things. list your travel details in chronological
order. there should be a one to one correspondence to the stamping on your passport.
at any given time you were either in your home country or resident country.. that has to be clearly indicated in the timeline for the last ten years.
How does he do that without splitting his timeline in two?

Furthermore, there is not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence to the stamps in your passport. EU passport holders for example, get no stamps when they enter the EU or travel from one EU country to another. Canadian Residents did not necessarily get stamps in their foreign passports (I am missing several from many years ago). Some countries don't recognize the passports of other countries and will only stamp visa forms on a separate piece of paper. There are loads of ways this can get complicated and trying not to complicate it will just mean that the visa officer has less chance of understanding his travels - and surely that's the bigger problem.

teddydeeps

May 1, 2014
hi again

There is no need to split timelines. There is only one timeline that follow his duration of stay at either the home country or resident country. for example:

Jan 2010 - Oct 2010 [ Home country- citizen]
Nov 2010 - Apr 2011 [ Resident country- Worker]
May 2011- Jul 2011 [ Resident country 2- visitor]
Aug 2011 - Dec 2011 [ Resident country - worker]

Hope this makes sense.
Agreed on the passport stamping. it may not have the stamping, but some where the travel records are being captured right?

All the best.

Thanks,
TD.